Author Topic: After 100+ rejections...finally! Another Bookbub! (Aug 1, will post results!)  (Read 981 times)  

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    • Gerald Hansen's website
Hi guys!

A few of you maybe know my story. Years ago (2015 or so) I got 4 Bookbubs in a row, and they were all fantastic. And then...rejection after rejection after rejection. When I'd gotten about 70 rejections (a year and a half ago), I was in despair and posted here wondering if I should give up. Thankfully, everyone was supportive and said I owed it to myself to keep trying. And I'm happy I followed the advice because a few weeks ago I finally got accepted! It's only an International for a free book, but the book is the 4th (!) in a series of 10 (so that ended my speculation that they might only accept the first in a series). It's coming up on August 1, and as it's international, I secured a Fussy Librarian (which really is absolutely fantastic nowadays) and an ENT so that I'd have a least a little action on the US side of things. I'll be posting my results here on the 1st, and also a few days later. I scoured the boards here trying to find info on exactly what I could expect from a free international, but couldn't really find anything. So this might help others who are also accepted for this type of promo.

I guess the lesson is, don't give up and keep trying! I'm so happy I did. Oh, and the category is Literary Fiction, which isn't one of the biggest categories, but we'll see how it goes...!

UPDATE JULY 31 The promo is tomorrow and because it's international only, I secured a Fussy Librarian and ENT for the same book so that there would be at least SOME action in the US. And as Fussy Librarian has been absolutely amazing lately (they were always great before but now...wow! I think they're second to Bookbub!!) I'm hoping tomorrow really will be an exciting day! As Gareth did with his promo the other week, I'll keep updating during the day! (Thanks Gareth for showing me a good way to do it!) So...One More Sleep...and fingers crossed...!9

9 AM Aug 1 Just woke up (9 AM PST time). This is an international, so it's 5 PM in the UK, about 9:30 PM in India, 2 AM in Australia, and about the same time in CA. Downloads so far, 2160, and seven sales of other books in the series (that includes 2 $9.99 boxsets). I looked on the Bookbub site, but I think they still have yesterday's books up. And they said the newsletter goes out at noon PST, so I'm not sure where everyone's seeing the book. But it's great so far! Especially because 'average downloads' for Literary Fiction is supposed to be 3200, and I'm almost there already!

2 PM Aug 1UPDATE: 2 PM PST  Now on 3,517 downloads, but only 16 other books sold. The majority of downloads are from the UK (over 2,000), but so far only 23 in Australia. It's only 7 AM there (at least in Sydney), so I'm not sure if sales will start coming in from there, or if there are very few Australian subscribers. We will see...!!

7 pm Well, I've hit 4000 downloads, and apparently all the Australian downloads will come after midnight my time here (because it's already tomorrow there). Still only 17 sales, though. Let's see what affect this has in the upcoming weeks!!! :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:02:39 pm by jez1982 »

Gerald Hansen | Website | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Massive congrats! I hope it goes well and the tail is long and fruitful!

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    Thanks so much, Gareth!!! And of course, yes, your promo was one I kept my eye on! I was rooting for you all the way!  I hope I do even a fraction of  as well as you!!!! But I think you were wide, not international, so we'll see what the difference might be!! :) :) And, of course, your category was entirely different to mine, so who knows...?! 

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Thanks so much, Gareth!!! And of course, yes, your promo was one I kept my eye on! I was rooting for you all the way!  I hope I do even a fraction of  as well as you!!!! But I think you were wide, not international, so we'll see what the difference might be!! :) :) And, of course, your category was entirely different to mine, so who knows...?! 

Even an international Bookbub is head and shoulders above everything else out there, so I'm sure it'll do amazingly. Look froward to seeing your results!

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    That's awesome! I've only had 8 rejections, but I've never gotten a Bookbub at all, so I guess I have some rejections to rack up, lol!

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    Unicorn, hopefully my case was extreme and you won't have to apply another 90+ times!!  ha ha! :)

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    UPDATE JULY 31 The promo is tomorrow and because it's international only, I secured a Fussy Librarian and ENT for the same book so that there would be at least SOME action in the US. And as Fussy Librarian has been absolutely amazing lately (they were always great before but now...wow! I think they're second to Bookbub!!) I'm hoping tomorrow really will be an exciting day! As Gareth did with his promo the other week, I'll keep updating during the day! (Thanks Gareth for showing me a good way to do it!) So...One More Sleep...and fingers crossed...!

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    Best wishes Jez. These Bookbub posts are very interesting to me as I'm considering one in the not too distant future. I was always very unsure (I have a big problem with giving my books cheap though I get all the reasons) but Gareth's promo seemed to be a smashing success. Hope it goes great for you too and we learn some interesting stats.

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    Thanks so much, jm. Yes, I think people want to know exactly what to expect, so hopefully I can help a bit with that! So...fingers crossed...!! :)

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    Just woke up (9 AM PST time). This is an international, so it's 5 PM in the UK, about 9:30 PM in India, 2 AM in Australia, and about the same time in CA. Downloads so far, 2160, and seven sales of other books in the series (that includes 2 $9.99 boxsets). I looked on the Bookbub site, but I think they still have yesterday's books up. And they said the newsletter goes out at noon PST, so I'm not sure where everyone's seeing the book. But it's great so far! Especially because 'average downloads' for Literary Fiction is supposed to be 3200, and I'm almost there already!

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Awesome! Hope it continues to do well!

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    Thanks so much, Gareth! Do you (or does anyone) know what time in the UK the Bookbub newsletter goes out? It says on their website that newsletters are sent out at noon PST, but I don't think that can be true...? That would be 8 PM UK time...

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Yeah, that sounds about right. It's much earlier in the week, about 9pst, and I saw my newsletter go out at about 4 o'clock British time.

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    Gareth, again, you've helped me so much! Thanks for that info! It seems to make more sense...!!

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    UPDATE: 2 PM PST  Now on 3,517 downloads, but only 16 other books sold. The majority of downloads are from the UK (over 2,000), but so far only 23 in Australia. It's only 7 AM there (at least in Sydney), so I'm not sure if sales will start coming in from there, or if there are very few Australian subscribers. We will see...!!

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    They'll come in the next day. And don't worry about sales of other books just yet, people need a chance to read a bit of the promo'd one first to decide whether to buy the others. Sales will definitely come in.

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    What would I do without you Gareth...? Ha ha! You're great! Thanks so much!!!

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    7 pm Well, I've hit 4000 downloads, and apparently all the Australian downloads will come after midnight my time here (because it's already tomorrow there). Still only 17 sales, though. Let's see what affect this has in the upcoming weeks!!!

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    @Jez that looks like a very healthy set of downloads, congratulations! Would love to know how the economics played out after a while. Was the tail and sales sufficiently profitable, which countries gave the best returns and so on.

I have tried (not through Bookbub but through FB ads) India and AUS but with very poor results. Lots of clicks/likes in India but few sales and neither in Aus :)

7 pm Well, I've hit 4000 downloads, and apparently all the Australian downloads will come after midnight my time here (because it's already tomorrow there). Still only 17 sales, though. Let's see what affect this has in the upcoming weeks!!!

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    @JM  It's only the next day, so a bit too soon to know about the tail, but I'm happy to report the promo already paid for itself! At the end, there were 4,950 downloads! I ended up selling 30 other books, and thankfully many were $9.99 box sets (I have two), so that's probably why I've already made my money back. Everything from today on will be profit. Here's the breakdown of the biggest international markets:

UK 2,415
    Canada 950
    Australia 601
    India 121

There were also downloads in eight other countries.

Most of the sales I made (from other books in the series) were from the UK. Canada 4 sales, Australia 3. None from India. So...at least there's some action internationally if you get a Bookbub. But, ha ha, it seems very very difficult to get sales in India!! :)

I'll post again in a few days to talk about any tail. Fingers crossed...!! :)
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:22:16 am by jez1982 »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement