Author Topic: Pocketbook Color Ereader should be available soon  (Read 187 times)  

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Pocketbook Color Ereader should be available soon
« on: July 28, 2020, 05:28:54 pm »
Pocketbook has announced a new 6" color ereader that'll be retailing for 199 Euros.  We don't have an American price yet but Newegg is planning to offer them here.  Here's an article about it:  https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/07/28/pocketbook-color-launched-in-europe-6-color-e-ink-screen-199-euros/

The bloggers seem pretty excited by the idea of color e-ink ereaders.  I'm not really sure why other than the fact that it's new.  For most people, like me, who just read novels, I don't see any benefit.  If it was larger it might serve for magazines and textbooks and comics but for novels I just don't see a reason for it.

That said, since it's new and there's a lot of talk about it there might be a lot of sales at first.  I wonder if that'll last, if it happens.

Any thoughts on this?

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Pocketbook Color Ereader should be available soon
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 10:00:40 am »
    I think you're right, it's more the novelty than anything else.

The colour is only going to be at 100dpi which might just about be OK for drawings / maps etc that you sometimes get in books, but no match for a tablet when it comes to reading magazines or books with photos in them.

The price point doesn't seem too bad and I suppose I wouldn't mind if they added that facility to Kindles as long as adding a colour layer doesn't in any way detract from the crispness of the black text - which, as I'm primarily a novel reader, is far more important. I also wouldn't buy another non-Kindle device as I only read epubs when I get a book from the library (not that often) and I already have a Kobo for that.

I think the technology has a long way to go before I'd be seriously interested in a colour e-ink device.
    Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement