Author Topic: Submitting a Bookbub Featured New Release  (Read 329 times)  

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
Submitting a Bookbub Featured New Release
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:55:37 pm »
"You can submit a book for a Featured New Release starting 6 months before the release date, up until the release date. We cannot accept Featured New Release submissions after the ebook release date of a book."

Since submitting a new release also requires for your book to already be "in the system," as it were - you need to type it into the search bar and have Bookbub recognise it - am I correct in thinking that the only way to do this is to use Amazon's scheduled release date feature, rather than just immediately publishing as soon as all your ducks are in a row? Because IIRC the conventional wisdom is not to use that feature since people pre-order it and you get a bunch of disconnected sales instead of working the algorithm all at once.

This is a moot point for me now because my publication is already underway, but would be good to know for the future.

Shane Carrow

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    Re: Submitting a Bookbub Featured New Release
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »
    It has to be on preorder. I'm pretty sure, if you're wide, a preorder outside Amazon would work too. But without a preorder, they won't consider the submission.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:19:32 am »
    Yeah, I'm Amazon exclusive for now.

But I can't remember where I picked up the idea that you shouldn't do a pre-order... I don't really rely on "working the algorithm" or whatever to sell books. I rely on my own mailing list (for a new release) and then later discounts and promotions.

Shane Carrow

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:45:58 am »
    Amazon won't count your pre-orders in ranking the book. Hence, if you have a lot of readers buy pre-orders, your rank will not be as good on launch (Apple does cont preorders, btw).  But I like pre-orders for a 1-2 wks before launch now. I don't have a glut of people buying the pre-orders in advance and I believe the pre-order acts as advertising. It also helps to "sell' my book to promoters. Many promotion companies will only take your book if you have a pre-order or ISBN. But, as you've read, the pre-order thing has been discussed ad nauseam here in the past because there are so many views on this.

Another thought for BookBub that I've wondered is reviews. Are they accepting new releases based on reviews? You can't get reviews from pre-orders from ebooks but you can get them if you release your paperback 1st. The BB new releases I've seen advertised usually have a ton of reviews. I've never landed a BB for a launch promo and I wonder if it's because I usually have little to no reviews for my new ebooks. I understand BB doesn't look for reviews as much for regular promos (in fact I landed one with 6 once), but do they for featured new releases?

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
      • Rod Little Author
    « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:17:23 pm »
    Another thought for BookBub that I've wondered is reviews. Are they accepting new releases based on reviews? You can't get reviews from pre-orders from ebooks but you can get them if you release your paperback 1st. The BB new releases I've seen advertised usually have a ton of reviews. I've never landed a BB for a launch promo and I wonder if it's because I usually have little to no reviews for my new ebooks. I understand BB doesn't look for reviews as much for regular promos (in fact I landed one with 6 once), but do they for featured new releases?

You don't need reviews for a BB NEW Release. I got accepted for one 3 weeks before release (no reviews yet). They may have looked at my past books with reviews, and I did have a Bookbub Feature the year before, but this book had none. Also, you only need to be in the "preorder process" for 1 retailer with the promise of the others. I was only in pre-order with B&N, and I filled in the other links 1 week before the promo. That way Amazon was only on pre-order for a week.
    Having said that, The New Release option is nothing great (sales were nowhere near what a Feature deal will get you), but you can release at full price (and most authors do), so that is a plus.
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:42:40 pm by Rod Little »

Sci-Fi, Horror, Post-apocalyptic, Alien Invasion
    Rod Little | website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:38 pm »
    Thanks, Rod Little. :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement