Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Freebooksy Series Promotions?  (Read 534 times)  

Offline kyokominamino

• The Magical Land of Shut Up
    • View Profile
    • She Who Writes Monsters
Has anyone tried the Freebooksy Series Promotions?
« on: July 31, 2020, 08:44:35 am »
Good morning, everyone!

I have a new release due in October (Book #4 - Of Fury and Fangs) and I am trying to decide the best method to get my pathetic pre-order numbers up. At first, I was going to run a Bargain Booksy ad since it's .99 cents from now until October 24th, but then I thought about doing a Freebooksy ad of the permafree first-in-series (see Of Cinder and Bone below in my sig), which tends to do well in most permafree site promotions. Then I noticed the fantasy/paranormal series promotion, seen here: https://secure.writtenwordmedia.com/features/free-booksy/promote-your-fantasy-paranormal-series-with-freebooksy. It's expensive for me, who barely has $100/month to work with, but that's why I wanted to ask you guys if you've tried it and seen good results.

Is it worth it to invest the $150 in the hopes that it gets all four books in the series traction or should I stick with just promoting OCAB for a more affordable price and hoping that readers filter through to the new release? FYI: There are links to all the series in the front covers of each book.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm darned proud of the cover and I can't get my signature to work, so here you go. Covers by BRose Designz.

I write about monsters. Rawr.
Kyoko M | Website and Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
      • View Profile
    Re: Has anyone tried the Freebooksy Series Promotions?
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:30:18 pm »
    I have done series promotions through them, and I don't find the results very different from promoting individual books. BUT as a reader, I like going to their site and seeing the entire series in front of me, so FWIW, that's my two-part input. :)

Offline kyokominamino

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 12:34:44 pm »
    I have done series promotions through them, and I don't find the results very different from promoting individual books. BUT as a reader, I like going to their site and seeing the entire series in front of me, so FWIW, that's my two-part input. :)

Okay, thanks for the info. It's a $40 difference, so I'm weighing it in my mind to see what makes more sense.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:49 pm »
    I just ran one. Urban fantasy trilogy, book 1 free, books 2 and 3 at 99 cents. All in KU. I've made 60 percent of my money back already and it ran two days ago? So I'm pretty happy with it. I'd definitely try it again.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline kyokominamino

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 06:24:34 pm »
    I just ran one. Urban fantasy trilogy, book 1 free, books 2 and 3 at 99 cents. All in KU. I've made 60 percent of my money back already and it ran two days ago? So I'm pretty happy with it. I'd definitely try it again.

That's good to know! Would you feel comfortable giving me a ballpark of how many downloads you received on the free title? I only have one title that'll be .99 cents so the sell thru might be different for me. I'm glad yours is doing well.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 07:20:23 pm »
    I don't know that I can say definitively because I ran an ENT the same day. But, Freebooksy and ENT combined netted me 1500 free downloads.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline kyokominamino

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 07:22:15 pm »
    I don't know that I can say definitively because I ran an ENT the same day. But, Freebooksy and ENT combined netted me 1500 free downloads.

Oh, okay, gotcha. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try it since it's within budget and I really have got to get eyes on that fourth book. It's dying right now. Thanks so much for your help! I hope you get tons more royalties.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:07:48 am »
    Oh, okay, gotcha. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try it since it's within budget and I really have got to get eyes on that fourth book. It's dying right now. Thanks so much for your help! I hope you get tons more royalties.

I honestly went into the series promotions not expecting much. It was a "what the heck. Let's try it" moment. But, it's almost earned back, which I did not expect! I had more sales today and usually I expect to see a page read bump starting 4 or more days after a promotion, but the page reads are already rolling in!

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline kyokominamino

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 08:45:27 am »
    That's seriously awesome. I'm so happy for you! I've booked mine for August 16th, so I may update this thread since there's apparently a lot of lurking authors and it might be helpful to post the results. Thanks again for your help!

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 08:52:14 am »
    I'm glad you asked about this because I was wondering the same thing! I was considering it because I don't think I've ever used Freebooksy before but $100 is steep for me right now.

Offline kyokominamino

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 08:55:54 am »
    I'm glad you asked about this because I was wondering the same thing! I was considering it because I don't think I've ever used Freebooksy before but $100 is steep for me right now.

Freebooksy has great results. I am perpetually low on cash, so I've only used them once back in 2016 but my urban fantasy novel--which at the time didn't have that many reviews, but they gave me a shot--got 1900+ downloads that month. Most authors will tell you they're consistently good with getting you a high number of downloads and usually you continue to get downloads for days afterward if you promote a permafree title. I'll post the results for others to see, assuming the whole thing doesn't bomb. It IS 2020, after all. @[email protected]

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 12:50:10 pm »
    Freebooksy has great results. I am perpetually low on cash, so I've only used them once back in 2016 but my urban fantasy novel--which at the time didn't have that many reviews, but they gave me a shot--got 1900+ downloads that month. Most authors will tell you they're consistently good with getting you a high number of downloads and usually you continue to get downloads for days afterward if you promote a permafree title. I'll post the results for others to see, assuming the whole thing doesn't bomb. It IS 2020, after all. @[email protected]

Yes. Please do post the results!
    It is the summer slump, but mine did better than I thought. And I honestly think 2020 has been overall good for book sales. When people are bored and stay home, apparently the read more. lolz.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 01:05:37 pm »

If you've never used Freebooksy before, they'll do absolutely stellar. I can't speak for the Series Promotion, but my first go round with a free promo with them saw me netting over 3k downloads. That, coupled with an ENT free promo, led to my first thousand quid month. They do suffer massively from diminishing returns, but first goes with them are always good with a fresh book they not promoed before.

Offline dm_pb_tx

• Eastern Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 02:39:33 pm »
    It wasn't Freebooksy, but I ran a Fussy Librarian promo in May for a standalone offered as free and managed 604 downloads.  As of today, I have only achieved 551 KENP from it so far, all occurring in July.  Was hoping for better KENP numbers but they may still be trickling in soon.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 02:40:44 pm »
    It wasn't Freebooksy, but I ran a Fussy Librarian promo in May for a standalone offered as free and managed 604 downloads.  As of today, I have only achieved 551 KENP from it so far, all occurring in July.  Was hoping for better KENP numbers but they may still be trickling in soon.

Was it a first in series, or a standalone?

Offline dm_pb_tx

• Eastern Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 02:45:26 pm »
    Gareth,

As I stated, it was a standalone.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »
    Gareth,

As I stated, it was a standalone.

Haha, crap, I failed to see that bit. I blame the beer.

Yeah with a standalone free promos don't work like they did once upon a time. Used to be that you'd retain a rank boost after switching back from free to paid.

Nowadays the power of a free promo is in the rest of your series.

Offline dm_pb_tx

• Eastern Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 03:30:12 pm »
    Beer.  As good an excuse as any, I reckon.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 03:43:29 pm »
    Beer.  As good an excuse as any, I reckon.

Always, haha.

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 05:32:54 pm »

I'm excited to see your results!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement