Author Topic: Amazon shoving the series name into the title  (Read 571 times)  

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
Amazon shoving the series name into the title
« on: July 31, 2020, 08:31:07 pm »
Just published the second book in what is now a series, and when filling out that data on the "ebook details" page, I list it as 2 of 6 and then went back and edited the first one to say 1 of 6. Amazon has now decided that information should be right there in the book's title, so it's now:

Vampire on the Orient Express (Avery & Carter Book 1)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNP6YNG

I don't seem to have this issue with my other series:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4JX2M1

Although that does already have the series name and a number in the title I chose for it... but is the algorithm that smart? Because this happened automatically, as soon as I published it, and I wouldn't have assumed an algorithm would do much more than render this one "End Times I: Rise of the Undead (End Times Book 1)."

Anyway, is there a way to remove it from the title while still making sure the metadata knows it's a series?

Shane Carrow

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    Re: Amazon shoving the series name into the title
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:55:33 am »
    What's in the parentheses is the series information, not the title. That's the normal way Amazon shows it. All my series are like that. In fact, I don't know how you managed to get a series listing in your other series without having that. (Maybe, as you suggest, it's because you've used your series title as the book titles?) Personally, I think giving readers more information is only helpful, and since this is the normal way series are shown on Amazon, readers are used to this format.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:26:12 am »
    Anyway, is there a way to remove it from the title while still making sure the metadata knows it's a series?

Why would you want to remove it? As a reader, I think having that info is great.

Offline Rachel Anne

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 06:58:32 am »
    I released the third book in a series just the other day (and was on pre-order for the month of June) and it also shows that format. I always assumed it took the series name from the book details form and put them in brackets across the board. Interesting that it hasn't for you.

From a reader perspective, though, I would find it useful to keep and try to update your other books to also appear the same way?

Offline rickchesler

• View Profile
      • Amazon'e Rick Chesler Author Page
    « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 02:16:30 pm »
    There's a field called Series Name or something like that in the KDP Bookshelf. If you leave that blank it won't appear. This is for cases like mine where I myself incorporate the series name into the title of each book, e.g., Atlantis Gold: An Omega Files Adventure (Book 1). That's the actual title I populate into the Title field in KDP. So then I leave Series Name blank, because otherwise it's double listed as "Atlantis Gold: An Omega Files Adventure (Book 1) [Omega Files Adventures Book 1]" or something like that. Then book 2 is Ark Found: An Omega Files Adventure (Book 2), with series name also left blank, Golden One: An Omega Files Adventure (Book 3), etc. As was pointed out above, you want to be consistent with each book in the series, whether you incorporate the series info into your title yourself, or have Amazon do it for you with the separate Series Name field.

Note that this is separate from the Series Page Amazon sometimes creates for series, where they list all books in the series together on one page, but we have no control over whether they do that (that I know of).
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:10:26 pm by rickchesler »

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 04:21:38 am »
    Hmmm. I personally think it looks inelegant, but if the general consensus is that there's no way around it and readers like it anyway, I suppose I'll just have to accept it!

Shane Carrow

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:13 am »
    Amazon has been adding unwanted series tags for awhile now. I think it's GoodReads and this reader reporting based, so it's hard to make it stop completely. But KDP or Author Central will remove the series tags if you ask.

The tags will probably come back on a few months, but they will remove them again. And so on.

As for why: I don't want my new releases (or any book I advertise) to say #2 or later in a series. Readers are lazy. They won't take the time to understand my books are standalones in a shared world.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 01:17:50 pm »
    Hmmm. I personally think it looks inelegant, but if the general consensus is that there's no way around it and readers like it anyway, I suppose I'll just have to accept it!
    It doesnt look particularly elegant, but when Ive got a whole page of search results and Im trying to figure out which is book 1 in the series, Ill happily take informative over elegant.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement