Author Topic: Help Please - Amazon Paperback Cover Upload Sizing Issues - SOLVED  (Read 340 times)  

Offline AuthorWho

• A writer who writes written writings.
    • View Profile
    • ChristianAuthorCG
Good day.
I'm having issues uploading my book cover PDF in Amazon's uploader. When I preview the book, the cover is really magnified and won't show the rest of my cover. (And no, I'm not zoomed in, although I know that's a function.) My sizes I've tried uploading in are 2560x1600 and when that was too short to reach the bottom and top (in the make-your-own-cover generator), I tried 2560x2000. Neither have worked, and both were very magnified when I tried the PDF upload.

If you know what I could do otherwise, please let me know.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:10:42 pm by AuthorWho »

Christian fiction author who aims to do God's will.
Cassie Gordon | Website | Twitter | Instagram | Amazon

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    Re: Help Please - Amazon Paperback Cover Upload Sizing Issues
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:10 am »
    I suspect your cover isn't the proper size for your interior. When there's a mismatch of the sort, you'll get funky views.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:24 am »
    I've never used Cover Creator but from what you said, the first thing I would look at would be images. Are you using image(s) you've purchased or whatever KDP supplied? Are they the right size--pixels and resolution?

Amazon provides further troubleshooting, so this is your best bet.
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201113520

Offline AuthorWho

• View Profile
      • ChristianAuthorCG
    « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 09:14:27 am »
    I created my own cover through Adobe Spark, and when I inspect the photo, my computer tells me it's 2560x1600. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 09:30:18 am »
    First of all, is this a wraparound cover and did you use a KDP Print template? Second of all, print book covers dimensions are calculated in inches, not pixels.
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:45:16 am by Some Random Guy »

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 09:39:29 am »
    I've had this issue too and have just remade the cover in kindle cover creator.  I usually have to resize images or redo the layout so that the text takes up larger parts of the image.  There might be a better solution out there, and hopefully there is, but my go to for this issue is just to go back and make it different, but make it work on the kindle previewer.  Anyways, maybe somebody out there knows how to get it exactly how you want it.  Hope it goes good.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 01:22:23 pm »
    >My sizes I've tried uploading in are 2560x1600 and when that was too short to reach the bottom and top (in the make-your-own-cover generator), I tried 2560x2000

2560x2000 WHAT, pixels/dots?

A PDF cover must be right-sized and include the spine and the back cover, and you don't use KDP Print Cover Creator for that.

If you are uploading an ebook cover or the front cover of a print edition using KDP Print Cover Creator, then you should be uploading a jpeg, not a PDF.

A print cover must be 300 dots per inch, and a "dot" is the same as a pixel.  Assuming a book 5.5x8.5 inches, the front cover as uploaded to KDP Print Cover Creator should be 1687.5 pixels (well, make it 1688) by 2625 pixels.

That works fine for the ebook, too. Just trim off the 0.125 inch extra on the top, right side, and bottom of the image.

If you don't have a proper photo-editing software, download the free and excellent Irfanview. Canva dot Com is a good online resource for creating a cover jpeg.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline AuthorWho

• View Profile
      • ChristianAuthorCG
    « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 12:10:18 pm »
    Hello everyone. The issue is resolved.

In case someone else has the same issue, I'll write what I did:

Thanks to notjohn's answer, I used a different PDF conversion process. I had originally exported a jpeg from Adobe Spark online and then put it through Adobe's online jpeg to PDF converter. But that was the issue: the converter (and the image size).

I then placed my jpeg into LibreOffice and sized the page and picture until it fit. 

I had to do that a couple of times before I realised when you upload and preview your book in Amazon, there should be a warning that you have issues with your cover and it'll give you an estimate in inches of what your cover should be. Mine was somewhere around 11.1X8.25 inches due to book size for a 5x8 sized book.
    So I went back into LibreOffice and changed my page style to be that many inches and changed my jpeg size (had to readjust the cover some) to be 3331x2475 pixels. (Multiplied the number of inches times 300 pixels.)

And viola! After a lot of failed attempts, this solved my issue.

Thank you for everyone's responses.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    Re: Help Please - Amazon Paperback Cover Upload Sizing Issues - SOLVED
    « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 04:30:13 am »
    Or, you could've just gotten a cover template from https://www.bookow.com/resources.php#cs-cover-template-generator and built your cover on that, then generated a PDF. No guesswork or trial-and-error involved.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement