Author Topic: Amazon page count frustrations...  (Read 626 times)  

Offline Wired

• USA
    • View Profile
Amazon page count frustrations...
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:54:50 am »
Amazon's page count algo for eBooks is totally borked. I changed ONE word and the book's page count dropped by ten pages.😠

This is not the first time!

It matters because readers are very sensitive to page count.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline J. Tanner

• California
      • View Profile
      • J. Tanner vs. the Page
    Re: Amazon page count frustrations...
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:44:34 am »
    Peep this! It can change without changing even a single word.

Formatting and changes to the algorithm itself factor in as well. Probably the phase of the moon too.

Yes, readers can be sensitive to page count, but it usually isn't significant when it's 10 pages one way or the other.

If it really matters to you, create a paperback where you have more control over formatting. Once your ebook links to it, it will use that "real" page count for both.
    J. Tanner vs. the Page (blog)

Collection        | Appearing in                          | Stories                                        (KU)          (KU)        | Action/Adventure Series

Offline aimeeeasterling

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:47:25 am »
    I usually have to email support and ask them to use the paperback page count on the ebook. But it's an excellent solution since I think that Amazon's auto-estimate for ebooks tends to be low.

Try Shifter Origins and Shifter Origins II for FREE!
    Aimee Easterling | Aimee Easterling - Author Page | Facebook Page

Offline 30yearoldboomer

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:05:57 am »
    When I reformatted my 80,000 word novels using vellum, my page counts got bumped up a good 40 or so pages.

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:09:41 am »
    I usually have to email support and ask them to use the paperback page count on the ebook. But it's an excellent solution since I think that Amazon's auto-estimate for ebooks tends to be low.

This is what I do. I seem to remember that years ago they would do this automatically--or at least within a week--but I usually contact them now.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 07:03:14 am »
    >When I reformatted my 80,000 word novels using vellum, my page counts got bumped up a good 40 or so pages.

Vellum html has a lot of garbage packed in. So yeah, a book might become "larger" in that respect.

All my ebooks with a print edition simply list the File Size and the Print Length, and when the page count changes for the print edition (because it's a new edition) the ebook Print Length promptly adjusts. Thus the Kindle edition of my Guide showed a Print Length of 144 pages in 2012, 140 pages in 2016, and 147 pages in 2020. This has always been automagical for me. I've never requested an adjustment.

Twelve years ago, before CreateSpace got us producing paperback editions of our ebooks, I figured a Kindle "page" was about 250 words. Today it seems more like 350 words, getting close to the actual page count on a Big Five hardcover, at least for fiction. (Lots of dialogue = fewer words to the page.)

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Wired

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 01:57:07 am »
    When I reformatted my 80,000 word novels using vellum, my page counts got bumped up a good 40 or so pages.

Are those books linked to paperback versions?

Offline WegR

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 11:07:52 pm »
    Just hit this problem too - BookBub rejected a book because amazon have started showing a ridiculously low page count (less than BB's minimum 150 pages for a novel).

Annoying, but no real problem - just contact amazon and ask them to use the paperback page count.

Except amazon have refused to use the paperback count and told me (not once but twice) to "resubmit your book using the desired page numbers in the eBooks source file" and that "We have added pagination for reflowable book formats that don't have page numbers in the manuscript."

Anyone have any ideas what they're on about? I know how to build epubs and convert them to mobis, but am having a wtf moment - page numbers in an electronic book????

(ETA:) Update: at the same time as posting this message, I re-uploaded the kindle files and the paperback PDF to amazon. Three hours later, I've just checked the product pages, and the page count has been adjusted so it matches the paperback. Problem solved (at least for now)  :)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:27:15 am by WegR »

Offline Wired

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 06:19:07 pm »
    I re-uploaded the kindle files and the paperback PDF to amazon. Three hours later, I've just checked the product pages, and the page count has been adjusted so it matches the paperback. Problem solved (at least for now)  :)

Not all of us want a paperback version. For various reasons. So we're stuck with whatever bogus page count Amazon's broken system gives us.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 02:58:14 am »
    >Except amazon have refused to use the paperback count and told me (not once but twice) to "resubmit your book using the desired page numbers in the eBook�s source file" and that "We have added pagination for reflowable book formats that don't have page numbers in the manuscript."

There was a similar post on the KDP community forums, so perhaps something has indeed changed lately. Does anyone have any notion of what Support is talking about here? I know that Big Five books typically have Real Page Numbers, but I believe the formatting is beyond our capabilities, and anyhow Support (as quoted here and elsewhere) seems to be talking about something else.

I'd appreciate a pointer to any Amazon help page on this. Thank you! -- NJ
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 05:07:11 am »
    I would also be really interested in this - I have a book which used to be 135 pages, is now 147 pages since I had it reformatted, but the (recently created) paperback version is 201. I always assumed Kindle counts ebook pages differently and that was that, but if you can insist that your ebook is really the same number of pages as the paperback - well, scraping past 150 would make a world of difference with Bookbub.

Shane Carrow

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 05:54:45 am »
    Try uploading the file again. It seems there is some kind of error in the formatting bots, and sometimes this happens. This has been a problem for years If there's a paperback, of course ask for that to be used, if they don't adjust themselves. Remember, sometimes these things take a while to update, it doesn't happen instantly, or even in a few hours.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement