Author Topic: AMS KENP Read Inaccuracy?  (Read 473 times)  

Offline publishwide

• View Profile
    • Publishwide
AMS KENP Read Inaccuracy?
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:56:23 am »
I noticed something today while playing with my data:

The KENP Read from AMS are sometimes higher than the KENP Read from KDP!

Here is a picture of two days where I ended up with negative KENP read when I subtract the AMS Pages from my total KDP pages:

I double checked to make sure that all the filter data was correct (only showing Amazon.com data, same book, same dates, etc.)

I downloaded a copy of all my reports and found that my calculations are correct, which means the error is coming from Amazon itself!

Here is a more in depth look at my data for this particular book:

According to KDP - I had:
  • 529 pages read on July 16 in Amazon.com
  • 358 pages read on July 31 in Amazon.com

But according to AMS - I had:
  • 641 pages read on July 16 in Amazon.com
  • 426 pages read on July 31 in Amazon.com

What about y'all? Has anyone else noticed any discrepancies between their AMS and KDP KENP read data?

You can read more about it here on my blog
Publishwide - Reporting and analytics tool to track your royalties and ad spend in one place.
Self Publishing Checklist - Step-by-step checklist helpful links to becoming a successful self published author.
KENP Royalty Calculator - Quickly estimate your KENPC royalty
Amazon Description Preview Tool - Preview how your Amazon book description blurb will look like before you publish it live.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    Re: AMS KENP Read Inaccuracy?
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:22:46 am »
    AMS is known to have pretty bad reporting. I would use AMS reporting as one tool of many. Don't just look at how many sales or pages AMS claims it earned. Also look at your revenue vs. your spend.

Offline LFGabel

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:34:35 pm »
    I'm not in KU, but I would compare the values for a longer period than just one day. What are your totals like since the inception of the KENP data in the Amazon Ads dashboard, compared to your KDP dashboard?

Online WRPursche

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 05:38:26 pm »
    Aren't these numbers reporting two different things? The KU KENP number is the total pages read. The AMS KENP number refers to the pages read from people who clicked on the ad. In other words, it is a subset of the KU KENP. For the numbers to be the same, amazon would have to be updating the KU report and the AMS report at exactly the same time. This might not be the case.  That might explain the difference.

As an example, if the AMS report collects the current page reads at noon, and the KU report at 9 pm, there could be a difference.

Offline publishwide

• View Profile
      • Publishwide
    « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 07:59:28 am »
    Aren't these numbers reporting two different things? The KU KENP number is the total pages read. The AMS KENP number refers to the pages read from people who clicked on the ad. In other words, it is a subset of the KU KENP. For the numbers to be the same, amazon would have to be updating the KU report and the AMS report at exactly the same time. This might not be the case.  That might explain the difference.

As an example, if the AMS report collects the current page reads at noon, and the KU report at 9 pm, there could be a difference.

I've purposely narrowed the parameters on both data sets so that there is as little room for error as possible:

• Only on Amazon.com
    • Only a single book

But even then, the biggest issue that I'm having is that there are cases where the AMS KENP read is higher than the KDP KENP read on a single day.

Now, AMS has stated that if you have page reads from a Kindle that was offline but still within the 14 day period in which the data is tracked, it's possible that when the Kindle come back online, those page are attributed to the correct day.

On KDP, that data could be calculated as they come in.

So let's say I have an AMS ad that gets a KU download on July 1, but after downloading, the reader turns their device off and reads 100 pages. 13 days later, they turn their kindle back on. So on AMS, it's possible that the KENP read is 100 on July 1, but on KDP, the 100 pages show up on July 14.
    Publishwide - Reporting and analytics tool to track your royalties and ad spend in one place.
    Self Publishing Checklist - Step-by-step checklist helpful links to becoming a successful self published author.
    KENP Royalty Calculator - Quickly estimate your KENPC royalty
    Amazon Description Preview Tool - Preview how your Amazon book description blurb will look like before you publish it live.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement