Author Topic: Feature BookBub promo stack questions  (Read 329 times)  

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
    • CAHuggins.com
Feature BookBub promo stack questions
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:31:41 am »
It's been a few years since I promo'd and wanna make sure all my ducks are lined up. I got a wide/paid Bookbub Feature.

For a Bookbub Feature promo, do you promo up until the Bookbub? Or after the Bookbub? Or both?

Also with Bookbub can you discount your book before the Feature date or is that forbidden?

And how long should you tell Bookbub your Promo is running to continue sales after the Feature Date?

Also, what promo-sites are still working?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

C.A. Huggins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    Re: Feature BookBub promo stack questions
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 12:18:45 pm »
    I'd promo a couple days up until the BB. This will prime your ranking.

I wouldn't discount the book before the feature date. Especially, don't make it free--BB really won't like you if they find out.

For a good list of promo sites, check out Nicholas Erik's website on newsletter promotions. (he also recommended what I wrote for the 1st answer up top. It worked well for me with one of my BB).

Good luck and congrats!

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
      • CAHuggins.com
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:25:56 pm »
    I'd promo a couple days up until the BB. This will prime your ranking.

I wouldn't discount the book before the feature date. Especially, don't make it free--BB really won't like you if they find out.

For a good list of promo sites, check out Nicholas Erik's website on newsletter promotions. (he also recommended what I wrote for the 1st answer up top. It worked well for me with one of my BB).

Good luck and congrats!

Thank you. So you promo before the Bookbub but at the book's regular price?

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 04:54:20 pm »
    Yes, you can discount prior to the exact date of your BB promo. The form asks "when" your discounted price starts. I start mine the night before, just to make sure it's discounted the next morning when the promo starts - never had a problem.

As for doing promos before a BB, I'm conflicted here because I can't see the use. The minute BB's emails hit the air, you'll get sales. I don't think the readers notice if your book is #100,000 or #10,000, so why bother? I think the best way to go is after the BB, so the smaller sites you've stacked with help prolong the sales and keep your ranking at levels that keep you in small genre top 10's etc. but that's obviously just my opinion.

My best results, 5-day discount, starting Friday at 6pm, BB on Saturday morning, a promo or two on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. With that, tail should be long. I've had good luck because my books are mostly in small genre's and in non-fiction (smaller market than say "fantasy"), so I get to the top 10's easily and stay there for a while. Good luck!

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
      • CAHuggins.com
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:07:50 pm »
    Yes, you can discount prior to the exact date of your BB promo. The form asks "when" your discounted price starts. I start mine the night before, just to make sure it's discounted the next morning when the promo starts - never had a problem.

As for doing promos before a BB, I'm conflicted here because I can't see the use. The minute BB's emails hit the air, you'll get sales. I don't think the readers notice if your book is #100,000 or #10,000, so why bother? I think the best way to go is after the BB, so the smaller sites you've stacked with help prolong the sales and keep your ranking at levels that keep you in small genre top 10's etc. but that's obviously just my opinion.

My best results, 5-day discount, starting Friday at 6pm, BB on Saturday morning, a promo or two on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. With that, tail should be long. I've had good luck because my books are mostly in small genre's and in non-fiction (smaller market than say "fantasy"), so I get to the top 10's easily and stay there for a while. Good luck!

Thank you!

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 06:12:47 pm »
    Thank you. So you promo before the Bookbub but at the book's regular price?
    No. I promo at 99c 1-2 days before the BB. You're not going to see much activity at regular price.

Flying Pizza Pie's talking a different strategy. I've read some do similar marketing by advertising after the BookBub ad. You'll have to see what works for you.

My thought was to promo your book 1 -2 days before the BB so that your BB will move higher in ranking. I try to move ranking as high as possible. Selling before a major newsletter moves ranking for the following day. If ranking is beyond top 20 in a category, I do think it helps sales--particularly top 10 or #1.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline C.A. Huggins

• View Profile
      • CAHuggins.com
    « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:17:28 pm »
    No. I promo at 99c 1-2 days before the BB. You're not going to see much activity at regular price.

Flying Pizza Pie's talking a different strategy. I've read some do similar marketing by advertising after the BookBub ad. You'll have to see what works for you.

My thought was to promo your book 1 -2 days before the BB so that your BB will move higher in ranking. I try to move ranking as high as possible. Selling before a major newsletter moves ranking for the following day. If ranking is beyond top 20 in a category, I do think it helps sales--particularly top 10 or #1.

Thank you for the clarification.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement