Author Topic: Prime lending or Kindle Owner's Lending Library is no more  (Read 847 times)  

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Prime lending or Kindle Owner's Lending Library is no more
« on: August 18, 2020, 10:51:03 am »
The Digital Reader blog has an article this morning saying that Prime lending is gone from Amazon and their former page has been replaced by a page promoting Kindle Unlimited.  I hadn't noticed this but it does seem to be so.  I rarely used KOLL so I guess I won't miss it much.

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Prime lending or Kindle Owner's Lending Library is no more
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:13:52 am »
    I currently have half a dozen books borrowed .... I guess I should go see if I can borrow another one. :D

Note that Prime Reading is different to KOLL. For PR you have to be a prime member ... can borrow from a curated subset of KU books, up to 10 at a time, take as long as you need to read 'em, return 'em whenever.

For KOLL, you must own a Kindle device and can borrow a book a month from what's pretty much the whole KU catalog. I just did so at the beginning of August and got no warning that it was going away. I suspect if/when it does, those Amazon customers who have utilized either program will receive notice.

FWIW, there is still a "Prime Reading" page for me on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/bookshelf/prime

There's also a "Prime Reading" menu item if you go to the kindle store main page, and it's still listed as a benefit of Prime Membership. And if you go to the store on a kindle device, there's a menu item for Prime Reading.

You can't find much about KOLL on the website but I did just check on my kindle. I chose a book that is part of KOLL .... I can't borrow it because I already did once for August, but it still shows the 'borrow for free' button with the 'monthly limit reached' notice below that.

So .... if these programs are going away, Amazon does not seem to have announced it yet, and they both still seem to be available for me.

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:47:14 pm »
    I didn't realize there were two different ways to borrow books other than Kindle Unlimited.  I guess the guy writing the article didn't know either, so I believed it.  Either that or I'm just misunderstanding what he says.  In any case here's a link to the article: https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/08/18/amazon-has-weeded-the-kindle-owners-lending-library/

I have Kindle Unlimited so I haven't looked at other plans in a long time.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:59:27 pm »
    That article seems to only be talking about KOLL. And I don't find it to be accurate.

But, again, I just borrowed a book through KOLL at the beginning of August. And I still can access links to KOLL via the 'store' on my kindle. It took a few taps but I got to a page marked "Kindle Owners' Lending Library: Borrow for Free". So, I won't know for sure until September, but it seems to me it's still there -- at least as of right now (Aug 18, 2020, 6 p.m. EDT), for me, in the US. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 04:16:49 pm »
    I just looked on my Kindle and found the KOLL but all the books in it are in Kindle Unlimited so I have no way of testing it, either.

Barry

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 04:46:53 pm »
    That article seems to only be talking about KOLL. And I don't find it to be accurate.

But, again, I just borrowed a book through KOLL at the beginning of August. And I still can access links to KOLL via the 'store' on my kindle. It took a few taps but I got to a page marked "Kindle Owners' Lending Library: Borrow for Free". So, I won't know for sure until September, but it seems to me it's still there -- at least as of right now (Aug 18, 2020, 6 p.m. EDT), for me, in the US. :D

How do you get to the KOLL page?

I did look in the Kindle store on my Oasis, navigated to the SciFi category & tried a couple of books -- one of them did have the 'Download with Kindle Lending Library' button (as well as option to buy) & another button that just said "read now". I didn't press any of them as I was just exploring a bit.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 04:38:13 am »
    How do you get to the KOLL page?

I did look in the Kindle store on my Oasis, navigated to the SciFi category & tried a couple of books -- one of them did have the 'Download with Kindle Lending Library' button (as well as option to buy) & another button that just said "read now". I didn't press any of them as I was just exploring a bit.

I admit it's not obvious ... and I feel like it did used to be, so maybe they are moving to phase it out.

Go to the kindle store -- ON your kindle. There are 6 menu items (books, prime reading, deals, etc.) and I feel like KOLL used to be there, but I might be remembering wrongly.

Regardless, you can still get there by going to the menu (three vertical dots, upper right). One of the options is "Included with Prime".

When you tap that you see "New and Notable in Prime Reading" and then "Kindle Owners' Lending Library: Borrow for free:" Tap "see more" to get to the whole list where you can further narrow down the list with "Refine".

The KOLL list has some 6800 titles. The Prime Reading list has 30. I feel like KOLL books, once they're on there, stay. Prime books go in and out. I don't know how many KU has as I'm not a subscriber and it won't let me look at the book list on Kindle without being one.

What I do is this: if I see a book that looks good but don't want to buy right now, I put it on my "Kindle wish list". If it shows as being available in KU, I put it on a different list called "KOLL/Prime Reading". I can access these lists from my Kindle via the menu. Being in KU isn't a guarantee that the book is in KOLL, but it's a good indicator. I've only rarely tried to borrow a book that does show as in KU, and not been able to through either the KOLL or Prime Reading program.

BTW, I just checked all this again this morning (via my PW, latest model, current OS): Aug 19, 2020, about 7:30 a.m. EDT. :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 04:41:06 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 05:50:17 pm »
    Thanks, Ann.
    I'll have to play around with it a bit.

Yes, I too remember it as being a bit more obvious to find.
    But I don't borrow that many books anyway.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 04:33:23 pm »
    I don't have KU, but I borrowed a book a couple of weeks ago. Whether it was through Prime Lending or KOLL is unknown to me, as all of these different programs are a confusing mess IMO. I actually welcome any streamlining being done in this regard.

This was the book: https://smile.amazon.com/Wrestling-Heat-Rivalries-Backstage-Exposed-ebook/dp/B086Z5JJK6/

It's definitely not available to borrow through the Amazon site (unless you have KU, which I don't), but I was able to borrow it directly from my Kindle a few weeks ago. I don't know if that's still possible. It's no longer showing up in my library (assuming it ever did), so I can't add it to my Already Read folder.
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:40:06 pm by CS »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 04:32:31 am »
    I don't have KU, but I borrowed a book a couple of weeks ago. Whether it was through Prime Lending or KOLL is unknown to me, as all of these different programs are a confusing mess IMO. I actually welcome any streamlining being done in this regard.

This was the book: https://smile.amazon.com/Wrestling-Heat-Rivalries-Backstage-Exposed-ebook/dp/B086Z5JJK6/

It's definitely not available to borrow through the Amazon site (unless you have KU, which I don't), but I was able to borrow it directly from my Kindle a few weeks ago. I don't know if that's still possible. It's no longer showing up in my library (assuming it ever did), so I can't add it to my Already Read folder.

Sounds like you borrowed through KOLL. KOLL books can ONLY be borrowed via a Kindle. Once you read it and return it, they don't show up in your Content section on Amazon. As I understand it, KOLL is a feature of Prime Membership for those who also own a Kindle device. (Or maybe you don't even need to be a Prime member? Actually not sure about that.) "Kindle device" for sure means any eInk kindle; I'm not sure it still means any Fire device.

If you borrow through Prime Reading -- where you can borrow up to 10 at a time and keep 'em as long as you like, those show with a "Prime" 'sticker' in your content page and, in fact, you can sort to show only those borrows. (Change 'books' to 'Prime Reading'). If you then change 'all' to 'returned' you'll see any you previously borrowed and returned. It won't let you file them if they're returned, though. (As it won't for returned library books.)

If you go back to showing 'books' and then limit to 'borrows', you'll see library books and Prime books. Library books will show and be so marked if they've been returned. You only see 'live' Prime borrows. You'd see your current KOLL borrow, if you have one.

As far as I've been able to find, there's no way to know what KOLL books you've borrowed previously. Unlike Prime borrows and library books, there's no way to see ones that were borrowed and returned. Once returned, it's like they were never in your account.

That said, it should be that if you made notes or highlights, they'd still be attached if you borrow again or buy the book. I assume there's a way to see such notes; you might be able to sort of keep track that way -- I very very rarely make any notes or highlights, though, so don't even know where to go on Amazon to look for them.

And ... for the record ... Prime Reading is still prominently shown as a benefit of my Prime membership. So, I feel like the author of the article linked in the OP is in error. :) In fact I just borrowed a couple more books just now. ::) (A feature (or bug, depending on your point of view, I guess) of the system is that if you borrow a book and it later goes OUT of the Prime Reading catalog, it will stay in your library and you will have access to it until you return it.)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement