Kindle Forum banner

Paid for reading Kindle

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
I got an email today from Amazon offering a $5 ebook credit for reading at least 15 different days in August on my Kindle. The only catch I can see is it has to have wifi turned on so the battery will drain faster.

#3 ·
In the middle of checking my amazon emails, which I get many  :eek: and I got a $5 off auto coupon on a specific book only. its a series I started Victoria Thompson, historical mystery. I am I think like 12 books in or so and the $5 off is for Book 23. Which I assume is the new one. I am pretty sure I borrowed all the ones I read from library. It says "because you follow Victoria Thompson" and so on. I follow a few authors on amazon. But that one isn't useful for me at the moment.

I am still looking in the amazon folder in my email....

#4 ·
Atunah said:
In the middle of checking my amazon emails, which I get many :eek: and I got a $5 off auto coupon on a specific book only. its a series I started Victoria Thompson, historical mystery. I am I think like 12 books in or so and the $5 off is for Book 23. Which I assume is the new one. I am pretty sure I borrowed all the ones I read from library. It says "because you follow Victoria Thompson" and so on. I follow a few authors on amazon. But that one isn't useful for me at the moment.

I am still looking in the amazon folder in my email....
Yeah ... I've gotten those several times. First time it just said "a book" in my wish list. It linked to one specifically, but it let me use it on a different one. Last few times, though, it's for a specific book and I can't use it on something else. :(

Generally they're 'big publisher' titles so it does take the price from $12 down to $7 or so, but I'm usually able to borrow them from the library. I have a handful that I can't get at the library -- wish I'd get a discount for one of those, but NOOOOOO. :D

#5 ·
My last email credit offer from Amazon was "receive $8 in e-book credit when you spend $30 between August 5-12."  There did not appear to be any limits on which e-books I purchase, nor would the credit be limited to specific e-books.

I only have a few days left to finish qualifying for this one, but I don't think it will be a problem.  :D

I'd like to get a credit for reading 15 different days!  I read every day and my wifi is always on, so I'm with Ann - I'll never see this offer.  ::)

#6 ·
crebel said:
My last email credit offer from Amazon was "receive $8 in e-book credit when you spend $30 between August 5-12." There did not appear to be any limits on which e-books I purchase, nor would the credit be limited to specific e-books.

I only have a few days left to finish qualifying for this one, but I don't think it will be a problem. :D

I'd like to get a credit for reading 15 different days! I read every day and my wifi is always on, so I'm with Ann - I'll never see this offer. ::)
I received the one to spend $30 and received an $8 credit also. Didn't take me long to spend the $30. And getting one for reading 15 days would be easy for me to fulfill, but I don't expect to ever see that offier. I don't know the last time I missed a day reading and I never turn wifi off.

#7 ·
I got more info from them. The reading is retroactive to Aug. 1 so apparently the Kindle keeps track of whenever we read and the wifi wouldn't have to be on continuously. I read at least 2 out of 3 days so it isn't like they noticed I hardly read anything. I got that $8/$30 email too. I don't spend much on books, mostly free and 99c with the rare higher dollar purchase once in a while. We'll see what happens.

#8 ·
crebel said:
My last email credit offer from Amazon was "receive $8 in e-book credit when you spend $30 between August 5-12." There did not appear to be any limits on which e-books I purchase, nor would the credit be limited to specific e-books.
This sounds familiar to me as well. But I've been reading so much from the library lately, that I've not been spending much. I think I looked at it and pretty much decided not to worry about it one way or the other. Activated it just in case, but won't be bothered if I don't end up getting it.

#9 ·
Is this just a US thing? I've had a Kindle account for over ten years and I can't remember ever getting emails like this. If I have it must be so rarely that it hasn't stuck in my memory.

I read every day so I'd be delighted to get paid for reading 15 days in a month - and I'd love to get a discount on authors I read regularly.

Amazon, are you listening .... ?  ;D

#10 ·
Linjeakel said:
Is this just a US thing? I've had a Kindle account for over ten years and I can't remember ever getting emails like this. If I have it must be so rarely that it hasn't stuck in my memory.

I read every day so I'd be delighted to get paid for reading 15 days in a month - and I'd love to get a discount on authors I read regularly.

Amazon, are you listening .... ? ;D
I'm in the US & haven't gotten such an offer either. I read every day too.

I'd even make a point of being sure I read on my actual Kindle, not just my iPad, to be sure to keep up.

#12 ·
I've wondered if it's because I do so much borrowing from libraries and/or via Koll and Prime Reading. So, though I read a lot, I don't actually SPEND much on books. I'm not even a KU subscriber.

You know -- they sold me the razor really really cheap and they don't understand why I'm not buying any blades? :D

#13 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I've wondered if it's because I do so much borrowing from libraries and/or via Koll and Prime Reading. So, though I read a lot, I don't actually SPEND much on books. I'm not even a KU subscriber.

You know -- they sold me the razor really really cheap and they don't understand why I'm not buying any blades? :D
I think you may have hit the nail on the head - that seems like a viable explanation. While I don't library borrow very much because the choice just isn't there and I only tend to buy full price books when it's something I really REALLY want to read, I DO have a KU subscription.

They probably think a discount on a full price book won't tempt me when I can borrow for free, but there are still a few series I'm following that aren't in KU that I would love to get a discount on!

#14 ·
I get lists of Kindle books on sale every day in my email from Bookbub and from Book Gorilla and I buy books on sale that I'd like to read.  I have enough of these in my library now that I rarely have to buy a book.  Every now and then I find a book that I really want to read that isn't in my library and I'll buy it at full price but that's fairly rare.  Maybe 2 or 3 or 4 times a year.

When I finish a book I go looking through my library for my next read.  I rarely know what it'll be ahead of time and I nearly always find one that gets my attention.  So my average read costs either $1 or $2.

When I got my Paperwhite 4 it came with 6 months free Kindle unlimited and that changed things a bit for me.  I realized that I was finding books that would normally cost more than I was willing to pay for an unknown author or book and some of them were turning out to be really good.  So now maybe 1/3 of my books come from Kindle unlimited and the other 2/3 are books I got on sale.

Barry

#15 ·
I went through my folder and couldn't see anything about that reading offer. Oh well. I have KU, I read a lot via library and I do buy certain books. Some I just outright preorder. But I still have a lot of unread stuff from way back when sales were everywhere. What was that, 2010-2013? Thereabouts. I think it was before we had kindle library loans. And the publishers had sales on all kinds of stuff. And many still await my eyeballs. Feel a wee bit guilty about those poor books sometimes, but then I remember they are mostly historical so its not really important when I read them. Just that I will read them. Eventually.  If only I didn't see the new shiny around each corner :-\

#16 ·
I have my wi-fi on all the time, so that would work for me. Haven't been offered it. They are sending me offers though. A few months ago they offered $3 off a book on my wish list. So I'm keeping some books on the wish list in hopes of more. I did fall for it and enjoying it a lot (Lawrence Wright's pandemic novel that came out earlier this year). Last week they offered $5 off his other books, and I bought one of his non-fiction ones.

#17 ·
I got two emails from Amazon this morning (actually, I think they came in last night).

One was $5 off a book by the author of a different book I'd bought a few weeks ago. Non-fiction. I'd got that other book when it was on sale for around $3 ... but I'm not sure I'm interested in any of his other stuff. Still, I guess I'll take a look. (I know: that's just what they want me to do!)

The other was $5 off a selected book from my wishlist. They basically picked 5 and said I could have $5 off one of them. They were all books that had been on it for ages. :) Like so long ago I listed them, that I couldn't even find them. ::) They were all books listed between $10 and $13 regularly, so the $5 off brought them down to $5 to $8.

Both offers are good for 7 days.

#19 ·
I got another email from Amazon today offering $5 off one of certain books by Lynn Olson. I have 7 days to decide. I put one of them on my wish list, but am not sure I want to buy it for $7 when I have a lot of books I want to read. I might be able to get it from the library but would have to check. Since the first of these emails came to me, I have added more books to my wish list in the hope they will keep making offers.

#20 ·
mlewis78 said:
I got another email from Amazon today offering $5 off one of certain books by Lynn Olson. I have 7 days to decide. I put one of them on my wish list, but am not sure I want to buy it for $7 when I have a lot of books I want to read. I might be able to get it from the library but would have to check. Since the first of these emails came to me, I have added more books to my wish list in the hope they will keep making offers.
Re: having to check the library, I have an add-on that works in my browser called Library Extension. It's very cool. Here's the link: https://www.libraryextension.com/

You can install it for Chrome or Firefox and it works with Amazon and GoodReads (possibly other book buying sites). You set it up by telling it what libraries you want information on. When you go to a book description page, it adds information at the right side of the book page that says whether the book is available as an ebook or audio book at the libraries you've specified. If the button says 'borrow' that means it's currently in their collection and available. Click through and borrow it or wish list it. You will have to sign in to that library directly, of course. If it's in the catalog but not available right now, the button says 'view' and it takes you to the library page where you can put it on hold. Makes it much quicker to search even than using the main OverDrive site. :D

#21 ·
Thank you, Ann. I'll try that. I was going to mention that there was one other offer from Amazon on Tuesday, but then I could not find that email until later. It was for $5 towards one of a selection of books on my wish list.

#22 ·
Ann, I installed the Library Extension. Pretty cool. They do have 3 e-book copies of the Lynne Olson book that I would have had to pay $7 for. Not ready to read yet though.

#23 ·
mlewis78 said:
Thank you, Ann. I'll try that. I was going to mention that there was one other offer from Amazon on Tuesday, but then I could not find that email until later. It was for $5 towards one of a selection of books on my wish list.
mlewis78 said:
Ann, I installed the Library Extension. Pretty cool. They do have 3 e-book copies of the Lynne Olson book that I would have had to pay $7 for. Not ready to read yet though.
You're welcome! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.