Author Topic: kindle edition now counts as paper edition  (Read 1334 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not really a moderator. :)
    • View Profile
kindle edition now counts as paper edition
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:10:31 am »
So .... was that sufficiently clickbaity. :)

Here's the thing: I've had the kindle edition of the Washington Post from July 2009 when I got my first Kindle. At that time, the on line WaPo had no paywall. So if I read an article and wanted to see the pictures that went with it (kindle edition includes only a limited number and only in b&w) I could go on line and do so. I had to 'register' but there was no cost to do so.

Sometime around 5 years or so, give or take, the on line content began to require a paid subscription. You could pay just for on line, or it was included if you subscribed for home delivery of the paper edition. But a kindle subscription didn't count.  >:( Grumble grumble.

I complained -- in a very nice way, of course -- to both Amazon and WaPo and the responses were less than encouraging. Perfectly polite and full of commiseration but Amazon couldn't really do anything and WaPo basically said it wasn't the current policy. Mostly it was annoying because if someone linked to a WaPo article on social media, I could follow the link, but couldn't read more than the first paragraph or so without paying. Which I wasn't going to do.

But YESTERDAY I got an email from Amazon that said:

Thank you for subscribing to the Kindle Edition of The Washington Post. We are happy to announce a new reading benefit at no additional cost, called Digital Access. With Digital Access, you can read everything The Washington Post offers on its website and mobile apps by simply logging in with your existing Amazon user name and password.

Offer details
Your subscription to The Washington Post Kindle Edition now includes unlimited access to washingtonpost.com and The Washington Post apps. You also will continue to receive daily Kindle issues of The Washington Post that can be read with the free Kindle mobile app, on any Kindle E-reader, or on any Fire tablet.

So, YAY! I can now access all the WaPo content by virtue of subscribing to the publication in a Kindle edition.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    Re: kindle edition now counts as paper edition
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 03:47:45 pm »
    Very nice.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:01:13 pm »
    I also read the Washington Post but I signed up with an offer that was $1 for 6 months.  When it expired I couldn't afford the regular price and I called and told them that and they gave me another 6 months for a dollar.  That was a few years ago and it's never expired.  I've never been billed.  I just paid that dollar and I get it ever day in my mailbox and I can go to their website with my browser whenever I like.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:52:32 am »
    So, just to follow up.

I did need to download new versions/updates of the phone app for the click through thing to work, but all is good now. Funnily enough, my Kindle edition now reads "Digital Acces" vs "for Kindle" as it used to. O.k. by me ... :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 11:57:42 pm »
    I have been subscribing to the Washington Post for about 3 years online. It has also been available through the app on my phone and my kindle fire. I started the subscription after clicking through from facebook posts to the paper online many times.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 10:33:47 am »
    So ... updating this as it turns out there's been a HUGE problem. When I posted on the 13th I thought all was good but: NOT! >:(

Firstly: the WaPo kindle edition I've been paying for has run $11.99 per month. Which is fine. It's now called "Digital Access" and is only $5.99 per month. I wouldn't complain, except that my subscription renewed on the 21st of August at the $11.99 rate. I COULD HAVE cancelled it and bought a new subscription for $6 less! :o

Secondly: it's not working. I can NOT actually access any content, either on their website or via the app, using my Amazon credentials. Extensive chat and email contact with Amazon yields the conclusion that there is a 'glitch' which they are working on. Additional communication with the Washington Post and after lots of back and forth and proving of subscriptions, they tell me the kindle edition is NOT actually eligible for access to the web content. So I'm paying more and getting less. FWIW, I think they have old information -- someone hasn't gotten a memo. :-\

Anyway, I have now escalated the whole thing to a higher level at Amazon customer service (including copying the correspondence to [email protected]) and am hopeful for some positive result.

I am rolling my eyes at the irony that Bezos owns both Amazon and the Washington Post, but the one doesn't seem to know what the other is doing. ::)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 07:12:35 pm »
    A final update:

The tech support folks at the Zon were working really hard to figure out WHY it wasn't working the way it was supposed to. Multiple chat and email communications, all very professional and courteous.

The customer service folks at WaPo were pretty clueless ... to be fair, I think the disconnect, in retrospect, was at Amazon. Something to do, I suspect, with how long I'd had a kindle subscription. They never really could figure out why it didn't just switch over -- it SHOULD have worked. But because it didn't, WaPo had no subscription info for me.

Anyway, the upshot was that they cancelled my existing subscription, will refund the $11.99 I paid August 21 for the most recent renewal -- which was after the changeover was to have happened, and I re-subscribed to the new Digital Access version for $5.99. So more for less money; always a positive thing. :)

I have access via apps on both my phone and tablet, access to the website overall, and the kindle version arrived as usual this morning to my device. I'm awaiting the refund to hit my CC and then I can close the book on the whole thing.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 10:39:01 pm »
    I got an email today from Amazon that this week's issue of The New Yorker is delayed on my kindles because they haven't been able to get in touch with The New Yorker. I renewed directly with the New Yorker in the spring. This shouldn't happen. My very expensive subscription gives me the print magazine, on-line access and the kindle edition.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 03:18:47 am »
    I got an email today from Amazon that this week's issue of The New Yorker is delayed on my kindles because they haven't been able to get in touch with The New Yorker. I renewed directly with the New Yorker in the spring. This shouldn't happen. My very expensive subscription gives me the print magazine, on-line access and the kindle edition.

Over the years I've had several times the WaPo kindle edition was delayed .... usually a technical glitch and it showed up within an hour or two. One time I got such a notice but, in fact, the thing was already] on my kindle. :D I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't fix itself pretty quickly.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 06:22:50 am »
    A final update:

Anyway, the upshot was that they cancelled my existing subscription, will refund the $11.99 I paid August 21 for the most recent renewal -- which was after the changeover was to have happened, and I re-subscribed to the new Digital Access version for $5.99. So more for less money; always a positive thing. :)

Really final update:

The refund to my CC was only $8.41. So I contacted them again. It had inadvertently been processed as a prorated amount. :-\ Which is what I figured when I saw it ... but not what I was promised. Turns out they couldn't refund the additional $3.48 because all their systems showed the refund had been processed and they couldn't do it again. BUT they applied a $3.48 promotional credit to my account so that'll get used first next time I buy something.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement