Author Topic: The Case of Mysterious Disappearance of All The Covers  (Read 444 times)  

Offline Shipsarebeauty

• View Profile
The Case of Mysterious Disappearance of All The Covers
« on: August 16, 2020, 12:38:31 am »
Hi! A weird thing has happened to my Kindle Paperwhite. I'm into classics, so usually I download my books from Gutenberg etc, and add them using Calibre. But last week I bought a book on Amazon, downloaded it, put it into my Kindle via Calibre as usual - and all my book covers have disappeared! Damn you, Anais Nin, for doing this to me :)
I've tried everything - updating the software, updating the cached metadata on Kindle, but nothing works - and I have hundreds of books with no proper covers now. Strange thing is - Calibre has and shows the covers. They just don't show on the device.
Has this happened to anyone? Is there any solution apart from just deleting everything and uploading it to the device again?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:40:05 am by Shipsarebeauty »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: The Case of Mysterious Disappearance of All The Covers
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:14:04 am »
    The 'cover' of my daily newspaper doesn't always show up right. Sometimes on first waking up the thing, it takes a minute for the proper images to populate my home page, but that's about it. My feeling is that's because my kindle is getting kinda full.

The ONLY things that consistently show 'generic' type covers are things that have NOT come directly from Amazon. So free downloads through BookFunnel, articles skimmed from the web, etc. I don't really mind this as it helps me know where they came from, but I wonder if that's the issue, since you are pushing them through Calibre. I haven't used Calibre myself, so no idea what it does, or is supposed to do, in the process. But it does seem to me that the device might see that as a 'foreign', i.e. not Kindle/Amazon, purchase and default to the generic cover. If it didn't used to do that, maybe there's been an update to either the Calibre software or the Kindle OS.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    Re: The Case of Mysterious Disappearance of All The Covers
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:15:34 am »
    For me, the covers for personal doc books dont show up until I first open that book. I havent experienced all covers disappearing though.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement