Kindle Forum banner

New Gamache (by Louise Penny) out in a couple of weeks. TODAY!

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
All the Devils Are Here

I have literally been waiting for this since January when I pre-ordered it. There are not many authors I'm willing to pay full price for, but Louise Penny is one of them. I heard a rumor that paper copies may be delayed due to USPS issues, but the kindle edition should show up on time.

Here's the link to my gushing over Book 15 from last fall. :) This is number 16.

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,224393.msg3848119.html#msg3848119

edited: out today, Sept 1. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Prompted by your enthusiasm I thought I'd take a look at book 1 in the series, only to discover I'd bought it two years ago (probably as a result of your previous mentions of the series!).

I guess I'll have to bump it up the TBR list. Do you have "Enabler" stamped across your forehead in neon lights?  ;D

#4 ·
crebel said:
*nods* -- she does
;D

Really, this is about the only series that I get hugely excited about. :D

Well, and the Genevieve Lenard series I really like as well. ::) I buy those straight off, but they're really well priced.

Oh, and Ann Cleeves -- but even so, I can wait in the library queue for hers .....

I have heard of people who didn't like the series (based on the first book) .... I don't understand them, but there you have it. :)

#5 ·
I’m currently in book 11. I noticed last night that it was nearly 2 am and I was still alert. It felt like I’d just picked the book up a few moments earlier, but it was hours.

I stopped reading the first book, part way in. I thought it was going to be cozy, and lost interest. But I kept seeing comments about how good they are, and a friend said NOT cozy. So I gave it another go. I am so glad I did.

Fair warning though... don’t read them in bed if you have to be anywhere the next day.

#6 ·
Koi said:
I'm currently in book 11. I noticed last night that it was nearly 2 am and I was still alert. It felt like I'd just picked the book up a few moments earlier, but it was hours.

I stopped reading the first book, part way in. I thought it was going to be cozy, and lost interest. But I kept seeing comments about how good they are, and a friend said NOT cozy. So I gave it another go. I am so glad I did.

Fair warning though... don't read them in bed if you have to be anywhere the next day.
yeah ... it's cozy-adjacent, I'd say ... but definitely not what you normally think of as cozy -- no amateur female investigator with an on-again-of-again love interest and love/hate relationship with the local constabulary. There is much discussion of food, but no cats -- dogs and ducks instead. :D Still, I'd say it's the characters that keep it from being too much like a police procedural or even remotely 'hard boiled'.

#7 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I have heard of people who didn't like the series (based on the first book) .... I don't understand them, but there you have it. :)
I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those people.

I've only read the first book of course, but I just didn't feel engaged by it at all. I confess I was skimming a bit by the time I got to the second half.

I quite liked the main character, the Inspector, but I found the villagers to be either cliched or so over the top eccentric that they just didn't ring true. I wondered if the later books had a different setting then I might like them better but I see they're all set in Three Pines. It doesn't make me eager to read them.

I found I was more interested in the mystery of what was in Jane's house than who killed her and once that was revealed I struggled to get to the end. Had it not been so highly recommended it would probably have been a DNF but I wanted to give it every opportunity to grab me as it apparently has other people, so I persevered.

It's odd, isn't it, that we can agree on some books so completely but then fail to grasp what the other sees in something else.

#8 ·
Linjeakel said:
I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those people.

I've only read the first book of course, but I just didn't feel engaged by it at all. I confess I was skimming a bit by the time I got to the second half.

I quite liked the main character, the Inspector, but I found the villagers to be either cliched or so over the top eccentric that they just didn't ring true. I wondered if the later books had a different setting then I might like them better but I see they're all set in Three Pines. It doesn't make me eager to read them.

I found I was more interested in the mystery of what was in Jane's house than who killed her and once that was revealed I struggled to get to the end. Had it not been so highly recommended it would probably have been a DNF but I wanted to give it every opportunity to grab me as it apparently has other people, so I persevered.

It's odd, isn't it, that we can agree on some books so completely but then fail to grasp what the other sees in something else.
Fair enough. You can still be my friend. ::)

The villagers do sort of start out as 'types', but as the series goes on, you begin to see much more depth. And, not all of them take place IN Three Pines, though there's generally some connection. I might suggest you try the second and see if you like it better. :) But, of course, you probably have a full TBR queue already ...... ;D

#11 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
And it's here!

The question now is: read it right away, or wait a bit until I need a book I'm SURE I'll like. :)
I can never wait when it's a book I'm really excited to read. I might finish the book I'm currently reading first, but that's about it. I couldn't settle to read anything else, knowing it's there waiting for me!

#12 ·
Linjeakel said:
I can never wait when it's a book I'm really excited to read. I might finish the book I'm currently reading first, but that's about it. I couldn't settle to read anything else, knowing it's there waiting for me!
Sometimes I have things borrowed from the library that I have to read before the loan period is up. Though, with 2 kindles, that's somewhat manageable by putting any about to expire on a device with the wireless turned off. ::)

Sometimes I'm just not enjoying anything I start. Or maybe I'm in a sort of reading funk. So knowing I have a book I'm sure of available is nice.

BUT, we are going on a short trip to my brother's cottage on Lake Ontario next week -- just us, relatively isolated, they'll have food stocked. Change of scenery and Ed can fish and I can read. I'm thinking I'll save it for then. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.