Author Topic: I will convert your Vellum file into ALL ebook formats plus paperback  (Read 1645 times)  

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
  • John Dwyer
    • View Profile
    • John Dwyer Books
I have a license for Vellum and will happily convert any vellum files you have to all ebook formats + paperback for 25 USD. Just send me your files, I'll convert and return them in a zip file. Easy and saves you buying a full Vellum license.
I can accept payment through Paypal. Just PM me your details and we can take it from there.
John

Praise for High Road to Tibet:
John Dwyer might be just the ticket to fill [Michael] Palin's well worn shoes. - HungryFeet.com
You [John Dwyer] really do give an authentic feeling of the contrasting atmospheres as you move from place to place." - Dervla Murphy, international best-selling travel author

Praise for Klondike House:
"The author has a wonderful ability to engage the reader and draw them into the past alongside him" - John Dolan, Evening Echo

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    Re: I will convert your Vellum file into ALL ebook formats plus paperback
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 04:21:39 pm »
    I have a license for Vellum and will happily convert any vellum files you have to all ebook formats + paperback for 25 USD. Just send me your files, I'll convert and return them in a zip file. Easy and saves you buying a full Vellum license.
    I can accept payment through Paypal. Just PM me your details and we can take it from there.
    John
    Why would someone pay you if they already have the files?

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 03:14:25 am »
    Why would someone pay you if they already have the files?

Thanks for the question Shayne and sorry if I wasn't clear. Vellum is free to use to format your book but you need a license to actually generate the epub, mobi and pdf files that will be uploaded to Amazon and other online retailers. So if you have done all your formatting, you can send me the Vellum file/project/document and I can generate all the required ebooks and paperback PDF for you to then upload to Amazon and other retailers.
    Make sense?

John Dwyer might be just the ticket to fill [Michael] Palin's well worn shoes. - HungryFeet.com
    You [John Dwyer] really do give an authentic feeling of the contrasting atmospheres as you move from place to place." - Dervla Murphy, international best-selling travel author

"The author has a wonderful ability to engage the reader and draw them into the past alongside him" - John Dolan, Evening Echo

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 04:47:22 am »
    So, basically you want others to do all the work and pay you so you can rip off Vellum.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 05:02:54 am »
    So, basically you want others to do all the work and pay you so you can rip off Vellum.
    Sorry, I don't understand your concern Amanda. If people want to pay for a full Vellum licence, no problem. I'm trying to start a service for authors to help format and publish books and thought this might be a good starting point. I had the same problem years ago where I only wanted beautifully formatted ebook files but didn't want to pay for the relatively expensive license. Fiverr and others are full of services like this that help authors without having to purchase a license.
    John

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 06:28:11 am »
    But a paperback is a whole new book type - you don't make a paperback the same way as you make an ebook, surely? It's different in so many ways.
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:45:25 am by Lady Runa »

Storyteller

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 06:52:28 am »
    But a paperback is a whole new book type - you don't make a paperback the same way as you make an ebook, surely? It's different in so many ways.
    Absolutely! Vellum has an option to produce a paperback as well as all ebooks - all in the same document. The paperback option has it's own settings and produces really great looking paperback interiors. I've produced a number for myself and for others they they never once had issues being uploaded to Amazon. I can share a copy of my own interior if you like to show you hat I mean.

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 06:54:43 am »
    Absolutely! Vellum has an option to produce a paperback as well as all ebooks - all in the same document. The paperback option has it's own settings and produces really great looking paperback interiors. I've produced a number for myself and for others they they never once had issues being uploaded to Amazon. I can share a copy of my own interior if you like to show you hat I mean.

Oh, I didn't know that! Very interesting.

Storyteller

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 08:08:56 am »
    No problem! You can read more about this option on the vellum website https://help.vellum.pub/print/

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 09:11:36 am »
    Vellum sells their license for individual use. They don't sell it for commercial use. By you using their program -- which equates to clicking several buttons on their program and that's it -- you're ripping them off.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Fortunate

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 09:27:01 am »
    Vellum sells their license for individual use. They don't sell it for commercial use. By you using their program -- which equates to clicking several buttons on their program and that's it -- you're ripping them off.

I recall them saying in their big thread that it was okay to use their program to offer formatting services.
    Of course, that was probably 3 years ago now, so they may have changed since then.

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 09:28:30 am »
    I feel you're being very hash when you say "ripping them off." If a person needs a PDF changed and hires someone, is that person ripping off Adobe? Would you suggest they pay hundreds of dollars for a full license when they only need to change a few lines? You're correct when you say it's only a few button clicks for me but for someone who needs the Vellum document converted to all formats quickly, I feel it's well worth it.

Offline Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 09:37:13 am »

I thought you were right, Amanda, but on Vellum's Help page it does say this:

Can I use my license to format books for other authors?
    Yes. But please keep in mind that we wont be able to provide support to authors who are not our customers.

I wasn't actually aware that they were cool about it.

Offline EleanorRigby

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 09:45:37 am »
    I was sceptical of this myself at first, but now I think good luck to the guy. He's been very up front about the service he's providing and if people either don't have a Mac or don't have the money to buy the programme, why not let him do it? At least you can watch the Vellum guides on Youtube and feel 99% certain you'll get a good looking novel out of it. You could go off and hire someone to format your book and potentially end up with something you either didn't like the look of or was full of glitches.

Offline Fortunate

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 09:48:20 am »
    In the big thread on Vellum here, https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,207666.250.html there was this exchange:

S. Yates said:
    I am on a Mac, my husband is on a Windows machine. When he finally finishes his first book am I allowed to format it for him in Vellum or is that 'owner/author' specific? Thanks, SY

Speaker-To-Animals said:
    I was told I could format for anyone and even charge for my services if I wanted to.

Brad Andalman said in response to S. Yates original query:
    You can. How much you charge your husband is up to you

And on the Vellum FAQ it says:
    Can I use my license to format books for other authors?
    Yes. But please keep in mind that we wont be able to provide support to authors who are not our customers.

There's nothing wrong with the service being offered. If someone is going to publish regularly though, I think a Vellum license is well worth it. If you're only publishing every year or two, the OP's service would be useful.
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:49:52 am by Fortunate »

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 10:00:33 am »
    Thanks to all who posted helpful replies and clarified that this is totally legit and above board. I should have checked this myself first so apologies for not doing so.
    Let me say I love vellum and think it's the best formatting tool bar none. I would encourage anyone thinking of writing and publishing multiple books to buy the license. The addition of the paperback option makes it a no brainer for me. The support is great and you get lifetime updates to their software. There's just no other tool like it for the independent writer.
    John

Offline ShawnaReads

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 10:02:31 am »
    I was sceptical of this myself at first, but now I think good luck to the guy. He's been very up front about the service he's providing and if people either don't have a Mac or don't have the money to buy the programme, why not let him do it? At least you can watch the Vellum guides on Youtube and feel 99% certain you'll get a good looking novel out of it. You could go off and hire someone to format your book and potentially end up with something you either didn't like the look of or was full of glitches.

The problem I see with the service the OP is offering is that he's literally only doing the work of pushing the button to output the final files. He doesn't do the work of converting a Word doc into a Vellum file. In other words, the client must already own a Mac and a free copy of Vellum and have done all the formatting themselves. I think it's pretty cheeky to charge that much for two minutes of work. (Something that anyone with a full copy of Vellum could do just as easily.) Especially considering that the main reason someone might want this kind of service is that they don't own a Mac.

Another thing to consider: Is the OP including the outputting of any revision files in that price? Or is it a new charge every time someone wants it done? A lot of people (especially if it's their first book) make changes after they output the files because they notice something they want tweaked, or they want to change the back matter. With this kind of service, those are all additional charges. This is why, if you already own a Mac, it makes more sense to just buy your own license for Vellum.

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 10:18:55 am »
    The problem I see with the service the OP is offering is that he's literally only doing the work of pushing the button to output the final files. He doesn't do the work of converting a Word doc into a Vellum file. In other words, the client must already own a Mac and a free copy of Vellum and have done all the formatting themselves. I think it's pretty cheeky to charge that much for two minutes of work. (Something that anyone with a full copy of Vellum could do just as easily.) Especially considering that the main reason someone might want this kind of service is that they don't own a Mac.

Another thing to consider: Is the OP including the outputting of any revision files in that price? Or is it a new charge every time someone wants it done? A lot of people (especially if it's their first book) make changes after they output the files because they notice something they want tweaked, or they want to change the back matter. With this kind of service, those are all additional charges. This is why, if you already own a Mac, it makes more sense to just buy your own license for Vellum.
    Hi Shawna,
    Excellent point and something I neglected to clarify. My conversion-only service will also contain three rounds of edits included in the charge but I'm such a softie I may even go over that to make sure you're happy :-)
    I also plan to offer the conversion service you mentioned - taking a word document and producing properly formatted ebooks and a paperback so the only thing you need is the word document. I've already done this for many writer friends and they've been delighted with the results. I'll just have figure out what that may cost and come back to you.

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist
    « Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 10:37:59 am »
    I had a knee jerk critical reaction to this proposal until I decided to check Vellum's licence.

The FAQ says that this is perfectly okay and that is more than good enough for me.

I will say that I was surprised at Vellum's liberal attitude about this until I reflected on how the company has dealt with customer queries, complaints, and suggestions over the years. Vellum, apart from being an outstanding and beautiful bit of software, is very much on the side of the customer. Rare I know, but most welcome.

That said. If someone has the means and the need to use Vellum more than a one-off I'd highly recommend supporting the company by buying a licence.

And to the Original Poster: I'd say, good on you for offering such a fair priced service and for supporting Vellum while doing so.

Rick Grant
    Calgary

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
    • I wander lonely as a cloud
      • View Profile
      • Scribbling Tales
    « Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 11:23:27 am »
    Well, if Vellum allows you to do it, then it's okay by me. How many files for the 25 dollars out of interest.

A.T. Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 10:14:49 pm »
    Apologies to OP, but if a writer is truly strapped they can head to fiverr.com and find many Fiverr - preneurs willing to output Vellum ebook files for as low as $5. And at $5 a pop, a writer could do 5 revisions for $25.

Some Fiverr - preneurs also offer both ebook and print files using Vellum for as low as $15.

Those prices are for converting non-Vellum files like Word. Most of the Fiverr - preneurs include formatting in their service.

If you tell the Fiverr - preneur that basically you are giving them the Vellum file and all they have to do is click a button, no formatting required, the Fiverr - preneur may cut you an even better deal.

Offline Jeff Hughes

• Warrenton, VA
      • View Profile
      • JeffreyHughes.Net
    « Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 05:03:15 am »
    I think the OP is perfectly within his rights to provide this service.  Vellum's license explicitly speaks to that scenario.  God bless 180g, the makers of such an elegant piece of software.

That said, the very fact that there is a market for this kind of service is one more example of indie authors failing to step up to the plate.  Right up there with homemade covers and homemade editing and homemade everything else.  Writers who remain happily blind to the notion that "self publishing" means something more than clicking an upload button.

Jeff Hughes

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 08:49:24 am »
    Apologies to OP, but if a writer is truly strapped they can head to fiverr.com and find many Fiverr - preneurs willing to output Vellum ebook files for as low as $5. And at $5 a pop, a writer could do 5 revisions for $25.

Some Fiverr - preneurs also offer both ebook and print files using Vellum for as low as $15.

Those prices are for converting non-Vellum files like Word. Most of the Fiverr - preneurs include formatting in their service.

If you tell the Fiverr - preneur that basically you are giving them the Vellum file and all they have to do is click a button, no formatting required, the Fiverr - preneur may cut you an even better deal.
    Thanks for the reply. I'd question what you can get for 5 dollars. Can you really get all perfectly formatted ebooks and paperback for 5 bucks? If so, then by all means use them. I've used Fiverr services in the past and tried going with cheaper options for cover design. In my own experience, it ended up taking way longer and I was not at all satisfied. When I went with the higher priced option, I got great results and was very happy. Just my opinion and I'm saying this is my just my experience.
    John

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    « Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 08:51:32 am »
    Well, if Vellum allows you to do it, then it's okay by me. How many files for the 25 dollars out of interest.
    Sorry for the late reply. I can convert one vellum project into all available ebook formats (kindle, nook, apple, generic epub) plus paperback PDF ready to upload.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 09:11:39 am »
    Thanks for the reply. I'd question what you can get for 5 dollars. Can you really get all perfectly formatted ebooks and paperback for 5 bucks? If so, then by all means use them. I've used Fiverr services in the past and tried going with cheaper options for cover design. In my own experience, it ended up taking way longer and I was not at all satisfied. When I went with the higher priced option, I got great results and was very happy. Just my opinion and I'm saying this is my just my experience.

Nothing personal. The pandemic sucks. Times are tough. For some struggling writers $25 is a lot of money.

If you can offer superior products and service, you might try listing on Fiverr, yourself. You'll get more business than on Writer's Cafe. And there are some Fiverr - preneurs who are charging more than $25. You could position yourself as a high value midrange option. Good luck.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement