Author Topic: Bookbub gained me so many reviews!  (Read 1183 times)  

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
    • View Profile
Bookbub gained me so many reviews!
« on: August 22, 2020, 04:26:59 am »
Not really asking a question, nor really offering any information of value, just a bit blown away and wanted to share cos no-one else in my life would really understand.

When I applied for my Bookbub free promo on my first Helsing book, it was on 169 reviews with an average of 4.4/5 stars.

Now, one month later, it's on 228 reviews. And the kicker, it's still on an average of 4.4/5! I a) wasn't expecting so many reviews. And b) was expecting, with it being a freebie, that a wave of 1stars from people who downloaded it without reading up on it would annihilate its average. That miraculously didn't happen.

Ooh - actually did think of a question while typing this.

My promo was in the small humor category. In five months time I'm eligible to apply for another Featured Deal on this book. I'm gonna try this time for the Fantasy category, as it's much, much bigger.

People who've had multiple Bubs in the past - did you find it easier to get accepted a second time after a successful promotion? Or is it back to luck of the draw again?

Cheers!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    Re: Bookbub gained me so many reviews!
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:58:45 am »
    Congrats man.  You are easily the most successful comedy vampire hunter writer that I've ever heard of  ;D

You said that you were advertising under humor, and I was actually kind of wondering if you ever get people confused.  I always put my stuff under humor because nothing's meant to be taken seriously, but when I'm at a book store the humor section is actual joke, joke stuff.  Like Calvin and Hobbes, things like that.  Just wondering if readers get that humorous situations are humor-ey.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:07:19 am »
    Congrats man.  You are easily the most successful comedy vampire hunter writer that I've ever heard of  ;D

You said that you were advertising under humor, and I was actually kind of wondering if you ever get people confused.  I always put my stuff under humor because nothing's meant to be taken seriously, but when I'm at a book store the humor section is actual joke, joke stuff.  Like Calvin and Hobbes, things like that.  Just wondering if readers get that humorous situations are humor-ey.

Thanks dude! I'm also the most successful comedy vampire hunter author I know! Not hard, mind, when I know of only me!

As for the humor question (I hate spelling it that way, feel like I'm betraying queen and country omitting the 'U'), I'm not sure. Yes, my books have crazy situations and a constantly sarcastic protagonist. And yes, most of the reviews say how much they laughed at it. But it's also urban fantasy with a few serious themes, which is why I want to try for that category next time.

Problem with straddling genres, you run the risk of coming across people from both sides who don't like it. But the books turned out the way they did, and if I have to invent a genre to get my work out there, then so be it lol.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 07:27:32 am »
    That's fantastic. We'll done. 1st time I've heard of that as an added benefit. I just wish I could afford a bookbub for one or all of my books, just for the reviews. The most reviews I have on one book is 50 reviews at similar stars to you. My others are stuck around the thirty something or other.

Once again, great news, and thanks for posting.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 07:31:27 am »
    That's fantastic. We'll done. 1st time I've heard of that as an added benefit. I just wish I could afford a bookbub for one or all of my books, just for the reviews. The most reviews I have on one book is 50 reviews at similar stars to you. My others are stuck around the thirty something or other.

Once again, great news, and thanks for posting.

Thanks! Got up to 169 reviews just using Freebooksy/ENT etc, but it did take a couple of years to reach that point.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 07:47:52 am »
    I wish there were more options for those of us in the humor and comedy genres!

I have noticed Bookbub is featuring more fiction, and more comedy fantasy fiction in the humor category lately.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:51:15 am »
    Congrats on your success!

Not sure about luck with re-promotion (I think there's just so many rejections that people usually don't land repeats immediately after), but I'd just apply and give it a try in six months. The funny thing about BookBub is they have always accepted me when I throw in the application thinking they're not going to accept me. It seems that when I really really want to be accepted, I get rejected. It's so random.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline Dayseye

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 12:31:53 pm »
    Congrats!

That's a lovely unexpected bonus :)

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 06:24:36 pm »
    Congrats! That's worth its weight in gold right there! I doubt any of my books will ever get there, lol!

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 03:12:30 am »
    How many sales/giveaways/KU reads did you get? I've heard a rule of thumb along 1 review for every 100 sales, would be interesting to see whether that holds up.

Shane Carrow

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 04:03:24 am »
    I wish there were more options for those of us in the humor and comedy genres!

I have noticed Bookbub is featuring more fiction, and more comedy fantasy fiction in the humor category lately.

I know, right? Always unsure which category to promote the books in. It has vampires, werewolves, set in modern times - that makes it an Urban Fantasy. It's also funny, though, which makes it Humor.

Congrats on your success!

Not sure about luck with re-promotion (I think there's just so many rejections that people usually don't land repeats immediately after), but I'd just apply and give it a try in six months. The funny thing about BookBub is they have always accepted me when I throw in the application thinking they're not going to accept me. It seems that when I really really want to be accepted, I get rejected. It's so random.

Haha yeah, I'd applied thirty-six times before getting accepted, so I'm resigning myself to the fact it may be a long time again yet before I get it re-promoted by them lol.

Congrats!

That's a lovely unexpected bonus :)

Thanks! It's nice seeing loads of reviews, for sure! Especially with the majority of them being very favourable.

Congrats! That's worth its weight in gold right there! I doubt any of my books will ever get there, lol!

I'm sure they will. It took me over two years and several rounds of promotions, but I think it's doable for anyone.

How many sales/giveaways/KU reads did you get? I've heard a rule of thumb along 1 review for every 100 sales, would be interesting to see whether that holds up.

Right, so since the Bookbub, which was a month and three days ago, I've given away 17,242 copies of book one. It was on 169 reviews. As of this morning, 230 reviews. So 61 reviews out of 17,242 freebie downloads = one new review for every 282 downloads. So that's the ratio for free download to reviews for this series.

I've got new reviews on the paid sequels, too, not as many but for the fun of it let's work out the ratio on them.

Since the Bookbub I've sold 917 sequels in the series and the sequels have garnered 32 new reviews across them, meaning a new review for every 28 sequels sold, so exactly ten times quicker to gain reviews for paid sales.

HOWEVER, not quite as easy as that because.... the sequels are in KU. So we need to tot up the page reads. In the month since BB day, the sequels have totaled 244,500 page reads. Now... how we work out the review/sale ratio with page reads in the mix, I haven't a clue lol.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 10:49:09 am »
    Cool, Gareth. Your book must be pretty damn good to avoid those 1* reviews being a freebie. Kudos!

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
    Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 11:04:46 am »
    Cool, Gareth. Your book must be pretty damn good to avoid those 1* reviews being a freebie. Kudos!

Thanks Gregg! No idea how - this series started off as a silly, almost stream-of-consciousness attempt at humour, after writing serious fantasy got me precisely nowhere.

Turns out, some people share my sense of humour, which is great!

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 04:50:05 pm »

... cos no-one else in my life would really understand.

^^^^^ This. ^^^

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 11:36:15 pm »
    ^^^^^ This. ^^^

Yup. Much though my other half gets excited for me when I get enthusiastic about my writing career, she doesn't understand the impact of every new, favourable review.

Getting a new review saying that someone's enjoyed something I've written can make my day. Only other writers understand truly understand it, I think.

Offline The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 11:44:32 pm »
    I remember back in the day on these boards seeing people give averages like 1 review per 100 sales and 1 per 1000 free downloads, so it sounds like you're having excellent review number averages. Congrats.

In terms of getting another Bookbub, it's possible it might help? Especially if your book outperformed their usual stats. But one thing I would caution (just in terms of expectation management), I wouldn't necessarily expect any positive effect on acceptance to flow across to a different list. One of the things that has made Bookbub so successful is that they pay close attention to their individual lists and what books those readers like. So doing well with one list won't necessarily translate across to another. And I would particularly caution that it's likely to be harder to get accepted to a larger, broader list like Fantasy than a smaller, niche one. I think someone upthread said that the list you were accepted for has been featuring more comedy fantasy books lately. If that's a change, then it's likely that was what led to your book finally being accepted (since presumably the quality of your book hasn't changed in the time you've been applying). So it would really come down to whether books in your sub-category tend to be featured on the Bookbub fantasy list. I don't write Urban Fantasy, but I've always heard that Amazon doesn't feature much in the way of Urban Fantasy, and I can't call to mind seeing many in the daily emails. But you could always start applying for the Fantasy category and just note in the comments section that you would also like to be considered for a feature in thenHumor category. That way you won't have to wonder if you're "wasting" your monthly submissions by using them to apply for Fantasy.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement