Author Topic: Fire 8+  (Read 424 times)  

Offline MrKnucklehead

• View Profile
Fire 8+
« on: August 27, 2020, 02:23:11 am »
figured out the differences between it and Fire 6 and 7 except for one...

in the bottom left of screen in shows page number and location number but doesnt show time left in book or chapter...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    Re: Fire 8+
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:20:34 am »
    That is typically an option you can cycle through by tapping down in that corner. On mine it goes page, location, time in chapter, time in book, nothing.
    And it seems to change itself when I am not paying attention...

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:41:31 am »
    That is typically an option you can cycle through by tapping down in that corner. On mine it goes page, location, time in chapter, time in book, nothing.
    And it seems to change itself when I am not paying attention...

It's very sensitive to an errant finger touch and will switch off your prefered setting. Sadly, it is less sensitive, I find, to a purposeful finger touch and sometimes requires actually going into the menu system to get it set back where you want it. ::)

Interestingly, I don't have nearly the problem in either regard on my eInk kindles.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:14:31 am »
    It's very sensitive to an errant finger touch and will switch off your prefered setting. Sadly, it is less sensitive, I find, to a purposeful finger touch and sometimes requires actually going into the menu system to get it set back where you want it. ::)

Interestingly, I don't have nearly the problem in either regard on my eInk kindles.

HAH. All you have to do is look at it just the right way and it will change away from your preferred setting. And you can touch, swipe, poke, hit it and it won't change for anything. Annoying little grumble grumble grumble.

And I think, but not positive, the options are dictated by each specific book so some have all options and others only a partial set. You may not be allowed some options in any given book.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:28:58 am »
    My e-ink devices do it too.  They don't seem to change as frequently as the app on the Fires.  I think it's because I hold them differently.
    One book I was reading last week showed me time to finish book until about the 3/4 mark.  After that it did not matter where I tapped or how many times I tapped, all I got was page/location.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:46:52 am »
    HAH. All you have to do is look at it just the right way and it will change away from your preferred setting. And you can touch, swipe, poke, hit it and it won't change for anything. Annoying little grumble grumble grumble.

And I think, but not positive, the options are dictated by each specific book so some have all options and others only a partial set. You may not be allowed some options in any given book.

Some books do NOT have pages, for sure. And some don't have 'time in chapter' because they don't have chapter tags in the file. But those are both the minority, and usually books formatted for kindle earlier in the ebook era, vs relatively new 'printings'. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement