Author Topic: Getting reviews  (Read 845 times)  

Offline Katyrw

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Katy's World
Getting reviews
« on: September 04, 2020, 06:46:31 am »
Anybody have any suggestions for getting reviews pre publication? Not paid ones.
Missing -- Gone but not Forgotten: 50%
Kathleen Walls | Katy\'s World | American Roads and Global Highways | Global Authors Publications

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    Re: Getting reviews
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:54:27 am »
    I hate to state the obvious, but first you need readers. :)

You can try to find ARC readers using services like BookSprout and Hidden Gems. Hidden Gems is typically best but depending on your genre, they have a ridiculous waiting list. As in up to a year.

When your book is published you are going to need to advertise to get eyes on it. Assuming you don't already have a fan base or some really effective word of mouth going on.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 07:32:37 am »

Hidden Gems is typically best but depending on your genre, they have a ridiculous waiting list. As in up to a year.

Yeah, Hidden Gems is only getting worse :( It's a year now. August 2021 for romance, September 2021 for fantasy. My new release fantasy published this month was booked with them six months ago. I had to take a second look to make sure the year was actually reading 2021.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline Katyrw

• Florida
      • View Profile
      • Katy's World
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 09:49:16 am »
    Thanks. Yes, having readers is a given, but good point. I had not heard of either Booksprouts or Hidden Gems but worth a look. 
    Kathleen Walls | Katy\'s World | American Roads and Global Highways | Global Authors Publications

Offline scottdouglas

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 09:53:39 am »
    BookSprout typically gets me a few; voracious readers is a little better. Discounting your book and paying for a book promo will also help.

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 10:14:38 am »
    BookSprout typically gets me a few; voracious readers is a little better. Discounting your book and paying for a book promo will also help.

This. A book promotion will get you reviews.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 11:59:41 am »
    Ultimately, developing a mailing list is what I've found to be the most reliable way to get reviews.

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
    Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Offline Brian D. Anderson

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 01:02:16 am »
    What you're after is generating buzz about the book. So this means more than reviews. You should be developing relationships with bloggers and vloggers months ahead of time so that even if they can't review your book they might mention it as something they're interested in reading. Having your work on TBR's is as important as reviews.
    Brian D. Anderson

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 06:46:41 am »
    KatyRW, can I just say, "OMG. Awesome profile photo!"

And don't worry TOO much about reviews. Reviews are a result of sales, they don't magically create sales. And the whole "You need 50 reviews to X" rumors flying around are just that, rumors.

If you focus on everything else, the reviews will follow. Finish the book. Get a good cover. Make sure your keywords, categories, and blurb are on point. Set up a mailing list, plan some sort of book launch, even if it's modest. Reviews will trickle in.

If you really want to have something on that product page when you launch, Booksprout is easy and free for the first 20 people who claim your book. Try that. But seriously. Don't spend time chasing reviews at the expense of all the other things you need to be doing ahead of launch.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Dayseye

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 11:45:51 am »
    It's hard when you're starting from scratch. Maybe post in a few facebook groups for readers in your genre  - obvs. get permission before posting first :)
    But really, DmGuay's advice is solid. Readers will see the title's a new release by a new author - provided your cover & blurb etc catches & keeps their attention, they'll likely give you a shot - the rest is up to you! Best of the 'L' word!

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 12:18:37 pm »
    Look for arc services as mentioned above and try to get 15-20 readers. If only half post a review you will be launching with 7-10 reviews which will help a lot.

Offline Katyrw

• Florida
      • View Profile
      • Katy's World
    « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 03:26:38 pm »
    Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Offline Corvid

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 07:48:53 pm »
    KatyRW, can I just say, "OMG. Awesome profile photo!"

And don't worry TOO much about reviews. Reviews are a result of sales, they don't magically create sales. And the whole "You need 50 reviews to X" rumors flying around are just that, rumors.

If you focus on everything else, the reviews will follow. Finish the book. Get a good cover. Make sure your keywords, categories, and blurb are on point. Set up a mailing list, plan some sort of book launch, even if it's modest. Reviews will trickle in.

If you really want to have something on that product page when you launch, Booksprout is easy and free for the first 20 people who claim your book. Try that. But seriously. Don't spend time chasing reviews at the expense of all the other things you need to be doing ahead of launch.

This is great advice. Very succinctly put, which helps clarify the process for me as well, thank you.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement