Author Topic: Kindle Sort to Include Articles such as "The" or "A"?  (Read 731 times)  

Offline RiddleMeThis

• View Profile
Kindle Sort to Include Articles such as "The" or "A"?
« on: September 04, 2020, 06:55:08 pm »
My kindle is sorting titles by ignoring articles such as "The" and "A"

So the title "The Bracelet" is sorting under "B" instead of "T" and "A Discovery of Witches" is under "D" and not "A"

I am aware that this is the "correct" way to do something alphabetically, but I HATE it. Is there any way for me to get my Kindle to include the, a, and like words? Or am I stuck?
Check out my Equine Genetics Blog - Updated April 25th with Splashed White!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle Sort to Include Articles such as "The" or "A"?
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:24 am »
    That's the standard convention, so I think you're stuck. FWIW, I get annoyed (though that's really too strong a word) when things are alphabetized WITH the "A" or "An" or "The" considered as the first word. For example, I have a hymn collection -- for playing/singing in church, and it does NOT ignore an initial Article. I kind of get why: it makes sense to put "A Mighty Fortress" under A since, in that case, it's kind of significant. But I still have to temporarily re-wire my brain any time I'm looking up a piece to use.

You could change the sort rule entirely: go by 'most recent' and you won't have the problem. :)
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:19:47 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline RiddleMeThis

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:02:25 pm »
    Im not sure why my brain works that way, but it just does LOL. Its really hard for me to switch to not include them. Theyre such an integral part of the title to me.

I organize by collection, so thankfully I can fix the issue by just putting "a" at the beginning of every collection name and then they organize how I want them. So its now "aThe Dark Tower" and "aA Discovery of Witches." Doesnt help with the titles inside the collections, and I dont want to rename almost 1000 books in Calibre to have "a" at the beginning of every title, but it works.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 12:48:25 pm »
    I always make a backup of the ebooks I buy and I add/edit metadata with Calibre and I always force the article to be in front when it's there.  Calibre likes to put the article at the end.  I do the same with the titles to my Videos and radio shows, etc.

According to linguists there is no correct way to do anything involving language.  What works works.  Linguists love to say that dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.  I kind of love saying that, myself. :)

When there's a correct way and my way I'll do it the correct way if it keeps me out of jail, otherwise I'll do it my way.

Putting the article at the end, however, is both my way and the correct way.  "Good Earth, The" is just clumsy and "The Good Earth" is far more expressive.  I never really saw the advantage of mangling titles.

Barry

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:59:19 pm »
    Calibre likes to put the article at the end.
    Interesting.  For me, Calibre puts the article at the beginning as it is in the title and then alphabetizes in the conventional way be ignoring the article. 

I like this as a compromise as the title appears as it is on the cover, and the alphabetizing is as I expect.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 09:24:58 pm »
    Interesting.  For me, Calibre puts the article at the beginning as it is in the title and then alphabetizes in the conventional way be ignoring the article. 

I like this as a compromise as the title appears as it is on the cover, and the alphabetizing is as I expect.
    Yeah, me too. I like the titles and authors to display properly but sort as though the article was at the end of the title and surname before the first name.

It is kind of irritating that you can't edit even the most basic metadata on the Kindle - I would love to be able to 'tidy up' the titles and authors on quite a large number of my books. But as the others have said, the only way you can do that is by using Calibre or something similar and then transferring the books back to your Kindle.

That's quite a lot of trouble to go to, especially if you want to change your whole library - but I suppose it depends on just how much it bothers you.
    Linda

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 06:58:29 am »
    Calibre does that for me, too.  It gives the title as it will be displayed and then to the right of that in the metadata editor it gives the sort, which is where it puts the article at the end.  To me this makes things even worse since if I let Calibre have it's way it'll look as though titles with articles are out of order.

That's not the real reason I dislike it but it is another reason to dislike it.  My first grade teacher told me "A" comes before "B". :)

Barry

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 07:17:44 am »
    Calibre does that for me, too.  It gives the title as it will be displayed and then to the right of that in the metadata editor it gives the sort, which is where it puts the article at the end.  To me this makes things even worse since if I let Calibre have it's way it'll look as though titles with articles are out of order.

That's not the real reason I dislike it but it is another reason to dislike it.  My first grade teacher told me "A" comes before "B". :)

Barry

If you want Calibre to sort strictly alphabetically rather than ignoring the articles, then you can change it. Either you can change the sort field manually for each book or for a more permanent fix go to Preferences - Tweaks - Control Sorting of Titles and Series. It  will explain there how it works and how to change it - and how to update books already in your library.

Unfortunately, it might not affect how it sorts on the device you put the books onto - the device's own sort method may override it. You'll need to experiment.
    Linda

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 07:25:06 am »
    I have the opposite problem with my movies from Amazon. They mostly sort with the articles which drives me up the wall... But a few of them sort the was I expect to see them.
    Honestly, is it so hard to give the users a sort field in the metadata that can be customized? With over 4,000 titles in my Kindle library I doubt I'd mess with it. But for the handful of movies that bug me, I would make the time to fix it.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 08:36:26 am »
    Thank you for the tip, Linjeakel.  I just played with it a bit and it doesn't help with the metadata.  It's only about how the Calibre library deals with it and I don't use it's library features.  I store my books in a folder structure by author.  On my devices it has no effect, which is where it matters to me.

I do change the field manually when I put a book through Calibre to back it up but it would be nice to not have to do that, especially since I forget occasionally.

Barry

Offline RiddleMeThis

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 10:21:52 pm »
    I always make a backup of the ebooks I buy and I add/edit metadata with Calibre and I always force the article to be in front when it's there.  Calibre likes to put the article at the end.  I do the same with the titles to my Videos and radio shows, etc.

According to linguists there is no correct way to do anything involving language.  What works works.  Linguists love to say that dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.  I kind of love saying that, myself. :)

When there's a correct way and my way I'll do it the correct way if it keeps me out of jail, otherwise I'll do it my way.

Putting the article at the end, however, is both my way and the correct way.  "Good Earth, The" is just clumsy and "The Good Earth" is far more expressive.  I never really saw the advantage of mangling titles.

Barry

All of my Ebooks are uploaded to Calibre and are sorted in the way I like on Calibre, but they do not show up that way on my kindle.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement