Author Topic: Is there a free downloadable "corkboard" out there?  (Read 1135 times)  

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
Is there a free downloadable "corkboard" out there?
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:50:48 am »
I'm hashing out how I'm going to write the next book. I wrote the last with yWriter and was pretty satisfied with it. But Scrivener's corkboard intrigues me. What I'm thinking is if I could just have the corkboard, I would do the rest on yWriter. Thanks.

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Melisse

• View Profile
    Re: Is there a free downloadable "corkboard" out there?
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 02:34:22 pm »
    Noteboard extension on Chrome. I use it all the time.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:10:02 pm »
    Scrivener has a free 30-day trial. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Offline J. Tanner

• California
      • View Profile
      • J. Tanner vs. the Page
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:23:55 pm »
    I'm hashing out how I'm going to write the next book. I wrote the last with yWriter and was pretty satisfied with it. But Scrivener's corkboard intrigues me. What I'm thinking is if I could just have the corkboard, I would do the rest on yWriter. Thanks.

The power of the Scrivener corkboard is in its direct link to the scenes/chapters. I think you'll get more value out of the similar but not quite identical features within yWriter than you would by trying to tack on a different piece of software for this one purpose. It's call chapter details or something in ywriter.
    J. Tanner vs. the Page (blog)

Collection        | Appearing in                          | Stories                                        (KU)          (KU)        | Action/Adventure Series

Offline WegR

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 01:00:32 am »
    I realize this isn't what you asked for, but may I make a plea for an actual cork board? Or better, post it notes on a wall?

I find a computer screen is simply too small to have both an overview and the detail at the same time, and while it may be easy to move things around, and useful to click to connect to the relevant chapter, for me neither of these outweigh the advantages of having the whole plot laid out in exactly the way you want it (following story strands, POVs, character arcs - whatever, you choose) in front of you on a wall - and what's more, all visible at the same time without the need to zoom in or out if you want to check a detail.

PS The same criticism applies to mind-mapping - I find a large piece of paper (or several taped together) so much easier to work with than the mind-mapping programs I've tried.

PPS I did consider tiling part of the wall near my desk with cork so that I could have a humungously sized actual cork board, but the post it notes work just as well.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 10:28:00 am »
    Noteboard extension on Chrome. I use it all the time.

Thanks Melisse. It looks good.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:29:02 am »
    Scrivener has a free 30-day trial. Give it a try and see if you like it.
    Thanks Shayne. I've been trying it for the last few days. But I keep getting drawn back to yWriter's simplicity.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 10:37:09 am »
    The power of the Scrivener corkboard is in its direct link to the scenes/chapters. I think you'll get more value out of the similar but not quite identical features within yWriter than you would by trying to tack on a different piece of software for this one purpose. It's call chapter details or something in ywriter.

Thanks J. I've been exploring the yWriter manual and have been amazed at how many useful features are there. I haven't quite found anything like a corkboard (I found a storyboard) but I'll keep searching.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 10:39:12 am »
    I realize this isn't what you asked for, but may I make a plea for an actual cork board? Or better, post it notes on a wall?

I find a computer screen is simply too small to have both an overview and the detail at the same time, and while it may be easy to move things around, and useful to click to connect to the relevant chapter, for me neither of these outweigh the advantages of having the whole plot laid out in exactly the way you want it (following story strands, POVs, character arcs - whatever, you choose) in front of you on a wall - and what's more, all visible at the same time without the need to zoom in or out if you want to check a detail.

PS The same criticism applies to mind-mapping - I find a large piece of paper (or several taped together) so much easier to work with than the mind-mapping programs I've tried.

PPS I did consider tiling part of the wall near my desk with cork so that I could have a humungously sized actual cork board, but the post it notes work just as well.

Thanks WegR. It's amazing but I have a big corkboard in my basement that I almost threw out. I wonder if I've been too dependent on technology to make it work, but I'll bring it up and take a look.

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 12:58:32 pm »
    Not exactly the same, but you might take a look at kanban boards like Trello.

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
      • Electrik Ink
    « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 08:35:07 am »
    OneNote comes with most Microsoft Office versions. It's basically a bunch of little individual notes stuck around on a corkboard, and you can have multiple boards.

In the past, I've used the StickyNotes app for Windows. It's pretty cool, like having PostIt notes stuck on your monitor. In looking at, as a matter of fact, I'm downloading it and will see if I want to start using it again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/sticky-notes-post-virtual-notes-on-your-desktop/9n110gmw1xts?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

V.R. Tapscott | Electrik Ink

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 10:21:36 am »
    Not exactly the same, but you might take a look at kanban boards like Trello.

Thanks Phillip. I'll check it out.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:22:27 am »
    OneNote comes with most Microsoft Office versions. It's basically a bunch of little individual notes stuck around on a corkboard, and you can have multiple boards.

In the past, I've used the StickyNotes app for Windows. It's pretty cool, like having PostIt notes stuck on your monitor. In looking at, as a matter of fact, I'm downloading it and will see if I want to start using it again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/sticky-notes-post-virtual-notes-on-your-desktop/9n110gmw1xts?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Thanks Max. I actually used One Note before. I forgot about. I'll re-visit it.

Offline LitAgent

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 03:07:32 pm »
    I love OneNote and Evernote for a variety of purposes, but Google Keep has a lot of great corkboard features, and I highly recommend Milanote at https://milanote.com.  The basic free version is going to be enough for most people.  It also has several writing-specific templates for story lines, characters, world-building and more. Plus a free web clipper that is super useful. 

Greg Aunapu | Medium | Website | Pub Marketplace

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 07:09:22 pm »
    I love OneNote and Evernote for a variety of purposes, but Google Keep has a lot of great corkboard features, and I highly recommend Milanote at https://milanote.com.  The basic free version is going to be enough for most people.  It also has several writing-specific templates for story lines, characters, world-building and more. Plus a free web clipper that is super useful. 

Thanks Agent. Google Keep (was new to me) does have a great corkboard and Milanote looks sweet too. Appreciate it.

Online nail file

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 04:20:53 am »
    Maybe consider Plottr.

It's not exactly a corkboard but it's very flexible in its ability to move scene cards around on a timeline.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 02:52:12 pm »
    Maybe consider Plottr.

It's not exactly a corkboard but it's very flexible in its ability to move scene cards around on a timeline.

Thanks nail file. Also I found that Manuskript has a corkboard.

Offline HelenM

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 06:47:59 pm »
    I'm a big fan of yWriter too! I use Microsoft OneNote for my notes, and Aeon Timeline to keep track of my timelines because I'm writing historical fiction. Aeon Timeline might work for you as it allows you to create "events" and gives you a visual representation of them, and you can move them around. (Cool for fantasy writers because you can create a custom calendar for your own universe!)

The closest thing I can think of to a corkboard would be Trello, and maybe Asana, which is similar.

H.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 03:48:20 pm »
    I'm a big fan of yWriter too! I use Microsoft OneNote for my notes, and Aeon Timeline to keep track of my timelines because I'm writing historical fiction. Aeon Timeline might work for you as it allows you to create "events" and gives you a visual representation of them, and you can move them around. (Cool for fantasy writers because you can create a custom calendar for your own universe!)

The closest thing I can think of to a corkboard would be Trello, and maybe Asana, which is similar.

H.

Thanks Helen. You know, the more I've delved into this, the more I'm liking yWriter. And it has a very simple timeline aspect too.

Offline Loosecannon

• Western frontier
      • View Profile
      • Modus Operandi Press
    « Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 05:35:42 pm »
    Another option I really like, but not downloadable..it's web-based - Trello.com . It let's you very quickly create/rearrange Kanban-style scrum boards. I have a column for Maybe/Ideas, then another for To Do Next, another Doing, and a Done column.

Offline Elvis English

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 10:13:58 am »
    Recently became aware of https://wavemaker.co.uk/
    Has a corkboard/cards, timeline, snowflake method, mindmap, etc. all free or contribute as desired. It's pretty sleek.

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:30 am »
    Another option I really like, but not downloadable..it's web-based - Trello.com . It let's you very quickly create/rearrange Kanban-style scrum boards. I have a column for Maybe/Ideas, then another for To Do Next, another Doing, and a Done column.

This reminded me that Notion is free, downloadable, and also supports kanban boards.

Offline RockWhitehouse

• Northeast Ohio
      • View Profile
      • iscfleet.com
    « Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:50 am »
    Gregg -

FWIW in yWriter sometimes I just include the date/time in the name of the scene: "Leaving Antares 3/20/2079 1700"

It's not a replacement for a good timeline, per se, but it helps me keep everything in order, especically when I'm brainstorming a little.

-Rock

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 01:17:24 pm »

Thanks cannon. I'd probably add a Should Do But Not Done column.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
      • View Profile
      • greggbell.net
    « Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »
    Recently became aware of https://wavemaker.co.uk/
    Has a corkboard/cards, timeline, snowflake method, mindmap, etc. all free or contribute as desired. It's pretty sleek.

Thanks Elvis. I looked at it and it looks great. Is it downloadable though? It seemed to me it only worked in the browser.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement