Author Topic: Where do all these ratings (not reviews) come from?  (Read 1028 times)  

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
Where do all these ratings (not reviews) come from?
« on: September 11, 2020, 04:27:36 am »
On one of my books I usually get only a handful of reviews per year. In the last two months I received 1 review and 18 - 20 ratings.

Where do these come from? Is that Amazon sending out emails? Is that readers making their way to the last page? How are they prompted to leave a star rating? Just wondering.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MorrowWriter

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • Francis Morrow
    Re: Where do all these ratings (not reviews) come from?
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 05:23:01 am »
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Amazon have tweaked their review policy. In the past, it looked like there had to be a text review (however brief) to validate a rating. Now, a rating on its own seems to qualify. Presumably this comes from the star rating you can select when you get to the end of a kindle book. This change has some pros and cons. Pros being more ratings and less hassle for readers, cons being limited feedback and... less hassle for readers.

I think the change has been discussed in previous forum posts.

Francis Morrow

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:53:55 am »
    On your Kindle (mine at least) as soon as you hit "The End" on a book, a window pops up where you can leave a rating.
    I believe this is responsible for the uptick.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 06:05:16 am »
    Yeah this is relatively new, just the last year or so, the ability to leave a rating without a "review." Personally I welcome it because I think a lot of readers are put off by the thought of having to write a "review" because they associate it with high school book reports or whatever. Whenever I've left a message in newsletter or at the end of a book I always stress that a "review" can just be a sentence saying "I really liked this," it doesn't need to be Ebert-esque. I think that's possibly why my books have a lot of positive one-sentence reviews!

Shane Carrow

Online Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
    • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:02:43 am »
    You have it on some apps. My kindle for PC and my old ipad does not have it but my newer android tablet does and I assume on newer ios devices as well.  I actually will download a book additionally on android to leave that star rating if i feel it relevant even though reading on another device. You can leave an honest review of stars without a) having to leave a text review and b) have it connected to your amazon profile visibly.
    It is much lower hurdle for people (think hitting the like button versus leaving a thoughtful comment) and should be encouraged. 

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:53 pm »
    The downside is those one star reviews with "great story, loved it!" showed that the reviewer thought a 1 star was good.  With only a rating, it's difficult to know...and yes, I see those types of reviews with a lot of authors' books.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:05:57 am »
    The downside is those one star reviews with "great story, loved it!" showed that the reviewer thought a 1 star was good.  With only a rating, it's difficult to know...and yes, I see those types of reviews with a lot of authors' books.

I have a theory about this... When you go to leave a review on the website, the review form comes up with a spot to click the amount of stars and a spot to put your review. But it looks as if you can leave a review without adding any stars. So I'm wondering if maybe people are writing the review and not ticking the stars, and so the stars default to one because there isn't a zero-stars option.

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 11:13:30 am »

I have a few of those. :( Recently got another one star and wondered if it was a mistake or not. No way to find out now.

Offline A past poster

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 08:54:17 am »
    If a book has 50 ratings, for example, how can anyone tell how many of the ratings are actual reviews and how many are simply anonymous star ratings?
    « Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:59:48 am by A past poster »

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 12:31:13 pm »
    If a book has 50 ratings, for example, how can anyone tell how many of the ratings are actual reviews and how many are simply anonymous star ratings?

If you "open" the reviews section it will say x reviews | x ratings or something like that at the top of the reviews section. 

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 01:15:52 pm »
    I'm quite happy with the change. Some people don't like leaving a written review, but are happy to leave XYZ stars. Gives people who might not otherwise get some reviews the chance for some feedback.

Offline Hope

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 04:25:39 pm »
    Alexa. She asks me to leave ratings on products and/or books every two weeks or so. I suspect if you agree to leave a rating once, you will be asked again. Since I started leaving ratings when Alexa asks me, I have also gotten emails asking for reviews/ratings more frequently than I used to. As an author, I love it. I am finally getting reviews/ratings and I don't have to do anything to get them. They have been overwhelmingly positive, although I have gotten a few low ratings.

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »
    Alexa. She asks me to leave ratings on products and/or books every two weeks or so. I suspect if you agree to leave a rating once, you will be asked again. Since I started leaving ratings when Alexa asks me, I have also gotten emails asking for reviews/ratings more frequently than I used to. As an author, I love it. I am finally getting reviews/ratings and I don't have to do anything to get them. They have been overwhelmingly positive, although I have gotten a few low ratings.

Alexa? Crazy! I hadn't even thought of that!

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Hope

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 12:35:34 pm »
    Alexa? Crazy! I hadn't even thought of that!

Yes. I think it was in May or June that she first asked. She lights up and reminds you that you bought something, and asks if you want to rate it. It's so easy, I'm sure that's why I am getting so many new ratings now. They seem to come in waves. Nothing for a few weeks and then all of a sudden I get maybe 3-6 new ratings spread over several books.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement