Author Topic: Usually ships within 5 days  (Read 382 times)  

Offline claycasey

• View Profile
Usually ships within 5 days
« on: September 11, 2020, 10:53:08 am »
The current delay of "Usually ships within 5 days" on Kindle Print Books has lasted a little longer than I originally expected. I guess there is a back to school rush still, but I don't really understand why that would affect the Kindle Print books. The delay in the spring made a lot more sense to me.

Anyone have a guess when this delay will end?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

• Ontario, Canada
    • I should probably be writing...
      • View Profile
    Re: Usually ships within 5 days
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:26:16 am »
    My best guess? It won't.

Printer delays have been ongoing for a while at both KDP and Ingram. Covid is mainly to blame and now as we approach the holidays, it's not going to get any better. May even get worse.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 04:13:20 pm »
    Are KDP books physically printed in China or the US? I wouldn't have thought mail was disrupted too much within the US from COVID, but intercontinentally is a different story. Most international mail and air freight goes in the bellies of passenger planes, not dedicated cargo planes, and there's obviously way less of them flying around now. (Although maybe a huge company like Amazon is a different story.)

In fact come to think of it, while I have some Abebooks orders from the US and UK that are still floating around out there well past their delivery date, I ordered some KDP author copies earlier this year and they arrived (in Australia) precisely when predicted.

Shane Carrow

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
    • I've got an idea!
      • View Profile
      • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 04:29:29 pm »
     Whenever I sign into amazon there's a banner up at the top saying deliveries will be delayed due to weather in my area.
    The Disabled Frog - Not Your Average Self Help Book
    https://www.amazon.com/Disabled-Frog-Stories-Productivity-Motivational-ebook/dp/B07LC4534L
    The Christmas Funeral - Not Your Mother's Christmas Story!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCH28BN

• Ontario, Canada
    • I should probably be writing...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 05:27:16 pm »
    Are KDP books physically printed in China or the US? I wouldn't have thought mail was disrupted too much within the US from COVID, but intercontinentally is a different story.

KDP has printers in the US, UK, and Canada. Ingram has a lot more and does worldwide distribution. It's disrupted not just due to the postal service but also shortened shifts, smaller workforce, and the sheer rise of online purchases during the pandemic. There are all sorts of forces battling one another here. That said, I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

If you have paperbacks with KDP, you can actually see the delays yourself by generating a report in the older Sales Dashboard. I use it all the time to check on the status of things and to see how things are progressing. Make sure to select the Paperback royalty tab and compare the first two columns. One is the Ship Data aka Royalty Date and the other Order Date. I'm seeing where from 1-14 days for shipping.

Offline claycasey

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 07:01:53 am »
    My best guess? It won't.

Printer delays have been ongoing for a while at both KDP and Ingram. Covid is mainly to blame and now as we approach the holidays, it's not going to get any better. May even get worse.

In late March and through most? of April the delay time got up to 7-10 days on some products and even a month as I remember it. But they were able to figure it out and it got down to 2-3 days for most of July and August. Then theoretically the "Back to School" rush pushed the delay up to 5 days. The spring made sense to me because people were theoretically ordering more kindle print books and things got delayed from all of the printing. Advantage books really got delayed "over a month" as well and they weren't restocking.

But this time, the surge in books are primarily text book types that aren't Kindle Print. Advantage books aren't being delayed at all. It's just Kindle Print books that are at the 5 day delay. From what I can gather, Ingram Spark books look to be 1-2 days to ship.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement