Author Topic: Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal  (Read 1856 times)  

Offline robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Rarity from the Hollow
Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal
« on: September 11, 2020, 01:15:21 pm »
The cost is $1069. It's hard to imagine RTI. What do you think?
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures
Adult Literary Science Fiction
https://www.hostingauthors.com/books/RarityfromtheHollow

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Re: Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 02:00:48 pm »
    First, congrats! That's a huge deal!

Second, oof - that's a steep price. Is it a 99c deal, or a higher price point?

Either way, it's Bookbub, so I think you'll be unlucky to not make your money back.

Offline scottdouglas

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:17:58 pm »
    Ive always earned my money back. Its easier when ita in prime and you can do a countdown deal for the better royalty...but even with non exclusives, I make it back in less than a week.

The last one I had was earlier this week and it sold about 1,500 (cost of the deal was $425, I think)

Offline robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »
    The regular price for the ebook is 3.99, discounted proposed to 1.99. What do you think?
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline I am a unicorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:58:36 pm »
    The cost is $1069. It's hard to imagine RTI. What do you think?

:o

Sorry I've got nothing to add here (never nabbed a BookBub), but WHOA that price is cray. Also, congrats on making the cut! That's awesome!

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 05:20:24 pm »
    Congrats. At $1.99 you'll only need to sell 750 copies to break even. That's certainly doable. My last three did drop off though (all at 99-cents). I did 2100 copies, then 1800, and just 1000 this last go - and it was non-fiction.

One good thing about a Bookbub is that it drives a lasting tail, so you should stay up on a best seller list if you make it to one, and that gets extra books sold over the course of anywhere from a week to a month (longer if you are lucky). Another good thing - if it's important to your book right now - is that you'll get plenty of reviews. That always helps. Good luck.

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

Offline Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
    • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 05:36:39 pm »
    https://www.bookbub.com/partners/pricing shows their numbers on their lists, so you can get an idea about how potentially the amount of recipients is and how likely it is to do your needed sales.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 06:19:11 pm »
    Congrats! Since you asked, the only concern I'd have is your higher price point at $1.99. It might be a harder sell for readers and you might not make back your total cost. But you have a lot of reviews (and an interesting book). And it's BB. It would be hard for me to refuse a BookBub promo in your shoes. Good luck!

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline scottdouglas

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 06:33:32 pm »
    At $1.99, you might find it difficult to make your money back. Youd sell more at $0.99. I usually only see big name authors with that price point

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 10:37:19 am »

The regular price for the ebook is 3.99, discounted proposed to 1.99. What do you think?

From what I've heard, BB subscribers are usually on the hunt for big bargains. Which means, on a four dollar book they want $0.99 or free. The few times I've heard of people doing one for $1.99, they never sold as many as they hoped.

Another thing to take into consideration is that usually, when someone does a BB, they're relying on sell-through to make some of their money back. But it looks like you've only got the one book, so you're going to need that one book to make back all the money you spent.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 10:41:58 am »
    If I were in your shoes, and it was my standalone book, I'd ask BB to make the deal 0.99, then enroll in KU and use a KCD to make it 0.99.

That was you're getting page reads and 70% royalties, and will get the most bang for your book.

Then after the promo it'll be at a nice high ranking and hopefully sell a lot of copies at full price too.

Offline H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:01 am »
    If I were in your shoes, and it was my standalone book, I'd ask BB to make the deal 0.99, then enroll in KU and use a KCD to make it 0.99.

That was you're getting page reads and 70% royalties, and will get the most bang for your book.

Then after the promo it'll be at a nice high ranking and hopefully sell a lot of copies at full price too.

Bookbub selection sometimes gears toward wide. Him changing to KDP after deal approval would likely not work.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 11:22:45 am »
    Bookbub selection sometimes gears toward wide. Him changing to KDP after deal approval would likely not work.
    But he might be able to lower the price to $0.99. BB may be willing to do that change if asked. I dunno.

To the OP--of course, no one can tell exactly if a drop in price will work any better. We can only note trends we've seen through KBoards and our own personal experiences. There was a thread a few months ago of someone who was disappointed in a BookBub and many thought it was because his pricing was higher than $0.99 (if memory serves me, it was around ?$2.99).

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 11:26:14 am »
    Agreed that changing from wide to KU is not going to go over well with Bookbub. They tend to select wide books because otherwise they have a hole in their newsletter for wide subscribers on the days they run an Amazon-exclusive book.

Also, last I checked countdown deals only work in the US and UK and Bookbub deals also cover Canada, Australia, and India. As far as I'm aware you can't do a countdown deal and drop your price for those other countries at the same time, so again, not a good recommendation.

And at this point changing the price point could lose the deal since price point is a factor in who they select.

To the OP: Bookbub like to have successful deals so they picked the book assuming it would be profitable for you as well as them. Not every Bookbub is profitable, though, so there's always that risk. Having more books, especially in a clearly-defined series will help make back your investment faster, but overall I view a Bookbub deal as worth having when I can get them.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 12:29:42 pm »
    Agreed that changing from wide to KU is not going to go over well with Bookbub. They tend to select wide books because otherwise they have a hole in their newsletter for wide subscribers on the days they run an Amazon-exclusive book.

Also, last I checked countdown deals only work in the US and UK and Bookbub deals also cover Canada, Australia, and India. As far as I'm aware you can't do a countdown deal and drop your price for those other countries at the same time, so again, not a good recommendation.

And at this point changing the price point could lose the deal since price point is a factor in who they select.

To the OP: Bookbub like to have successful deals so they picked the book assuming it would be profitable for you as well as them. Not every Bookbub is profitable, though, so there's always that risk. Having more books, especially in a clearly-defined series will help make back your investment faster, but overall I view a Bookbub deal as worth having when I can get them.

I did say 'ask' Bookbub. I wasn't recommending just doing all of that, then as an aside informing Bookbub about it, don't worry. And I'm sure OP will make a ton of money, just that a grand is a whole lot of money to recoup, and most of the threads I've seen where people are disappointed has been because they've set the price too high. 0.99c deals, however, I've rarely seen a thread where people haven't recouped it very quickly. And KU is a well-known tactic to get a little extra something-something on a standalone, but I do see what you're saying about them maybe wanting it wide. Luckily, Bookbub in my experience are very communicative, so it can't hurt to ask them.

I definitely agree that their curators are absolutely bob-on and very skilled at picking the right books.

Anyway, I've only had one Bookbub, and that was for free first-in-series, so any suggestions of mine when it comes to a paid deal should be taken with a very, very generous pinch of salt, lol.

Offline Kenneth Rosenberg

• View Profile
      • Kenneth Rosenberg
    « Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 03:02:03 pm »

Yes, as far as I'm aware, if you get an international feature, you can't run it as a countdown deal for this reason.  The only way to run a BB feature as a countdown deal is to either be selected by Bookbub for a U.S.-only deal as an Amazon exclusive, or if you also apply for an international deal, uncheck the Canada, Australia and India boxes when you apply and hope they still select you.  I've tried it that way in the past but never been selected.  I have seen some other people who were selected for U.S.-only features run them as countdown deals, but you'd most likely have to apply for a U.S.-only feature from the start.  You could always ask them, but from what I understand, they don't seem too keen on changing things up once a book has been selected.  Good luck, though, to the OP!  I don't know if it would be worth it in this case or not, but I hope you check back and let us know how it all shakes out.

Kenneth Rosenberg | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Sandy J Hartwick

• Southern Idaho
    • Everyone is weird; some are weirder than others.
      • View Profile
      • sandyjhartwick.com
    « Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 03:12:37 pm »
    Congratulations on nabbing a Bookbub! Please let us know how it goes.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 03:23:34 pm »
    Thirding wanting to know how it goes. I love Bookbub results threads!

Offline robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    Re: Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal, Sad
    « Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »
    "Hi Robert,

I hope you're doing well! I just wanted to follow up because you havent yet confirmed your feature with us for 10/01. I can hold your spot for one more day, so please confirm by the end of the day tomorrow or well have to cancel your feature. You can review and confirm your campaign details here:

http://partners.bookbub.com/promotions/631977/confirm

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
    Anamaya Shore
    Partner Relations Intern
    http://insights.bookbub.com/
    @BookBubPartners"
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    Re: Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal, Sad
    « Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 09:07:07 pm »
    "Hi Robert,

I hope you're doing well! I just wanted to follow up because you havent yet confirmed your feature with us for 10/01. I can hold your spot for one more day, so please confirm by the end of the day tomorrow or well have to cancel your feature. You can review and confirm your campaign details here:

http://partners.bookbub.com/promotions/631977/confirm

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
    Anamaya Shore
    Partner Relations Intern
    http://insights.bookbub.com/
    @BookBubPartners"

Why are you posting this? It's an automated message because you aren't doing your part of selecting or declining the deal.

Offline robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 07:20:36 am »
    I posted this auto message to set the timeline if anybody is interested in paying the cost for a very large percentage of any profit. I can't afford to accept this deal myself. Thanks
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    Re: Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal:news
    « Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 01:39:07 pm »
    "..I talked with the rest of my team as well as the editors, and we are able to change your deal for Rarity from the Hollow if you are able to lower your discount from $1.99 (the current discount) to $0.99. This would lead to a significant drop in the flat fee you would have to pay, from $1,310 to $754..." Anybody interested?
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:37 pm »
    Why did you apply for this in the first place if you knew you couldn't afford it?

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    Re: Selected for Book Bub Feature Deal:news
    « Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 04:40:08 pm »
    "..I talked with the rest of my team as well as the editors, and we are able to change your deal for Rarity from the Hollow if you are able to lower your discount from $1.99 (the current discount) to $0.99. This would lead to a significant drop in the flat fee you would have to pay, from $1,310 to $754..." Anybody interested?

At $0.99, you would have to sell 2,154 copies just to break even, which is over 200 downloads more than what they say is the average for the paid category. Why would anyone be interested in likely losing money to pay to advertise a book that isn't theirs?

Why did you apply for this in the first place if you knew you couldn't afford it?

Also this. ^^^

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 04:52:19 pm »
    can't you put it on a charge card?

i've found 99 cents BBFD to go from wildly profitable to sorta profitable

if you're splitting the money, the sorta profitables will lose money

KBoards.com

• Advertisement