Author Topic: What is Your Genre and Why did you Choose it?  (Read 1490 times)  

Online Kathy Dee

• View Profile
What is Your Genre and Why did you Choose it?
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:37:34 am »
At present, I have 6 different pen names, and I still have not really settled into any particular genre. I am giving erotica a go because ... well, it is beginning to work for me. I don't think I want to write it forever. So, looking for a bit of insight, I wondered if some people here might be willing to say what genre(s) they write within and why they chose them.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    Re: What is Your Genre and Why did you Choose it?
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 08:07:27 am »
    I write fantasy/sci fi romance. To me, sci fi's not a whole lot different from fantasy though you've gotta consider reader's technical knowledge.

I used to write epic fantasy. I never published it because I thought that it lacked research. For instance, I wrote a lot of stories based on Ancient Egypt and Greece but never researched how people ate and drank. George Martin researches that stuff. So I prefer contemporary because it's less work  :) . I'm also into dreamlike settings and stories. The romance part, I don't know, I think I'm into because love is such a powerful emotion.

Marketing wise, I have to admit I researched stuff early on before publishing. But did that influence writing subjects like romance? I don't know. Don't think so, because my first book ever had romance.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
    • I've got an idea!
      • View Profile
      • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:13:49 am »
     The only books I make piddly amounts of money on are smutty. But I hate writing them and have stopped.

Right now it's all about my passion project, which is alternative-space opera/futuristic secondary world fantasy.

I have major executive function issues so it makes organizing, planning, making decisions, and sticking to anything super difficult, so whether I will ever succeed at writing, finishing, and publishing any of them, I don't know. But my plan is to try and possibly fail at it every day for the rest of my life.

I chose it because it's in my heart. Ever since I watched "Attack of the Clones" at the cinema I have wanted to create my own universe. My smutty books are sprinkled with bits and pieces of TUOK, and I have two failed sci-fi books up that ostensibly take place there, but don't really. They're just bad fan fictions written by an author who didn't understand that the ideas she was getting were real history words and names, and who mixed in her own imagination.
    The Disabled Frog - Not Your Average Self Help Book
    https://www.amazon.com/Disabled-Frog-Stories-Productivity-Motivational-ebook/dp/B07LC4534L
    The Christmas Funeral - Not Your Mother's Christmas Story!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCH28BN

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:31:17 am »
    Humorous urban fantasy.

Didn't exactly choose it, just had an idea for a character in my head and started writing about him. Turned out the way it did by itself.

Offline RockWhitehouse

• Northeast Ohio
      • View Profile
      • iscfleet.com
    « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:53:59 am »
    Science Fiction with a military/space opera feel.  I don't write serious speculative stuff, just (hopefully) good stories with characters people identify with.

It is what I have always loved and written since I was maybe 12.

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 09:53:10 am »
    I combine a lot of genres.  Most of my stories have romance, action, adventure, suspense, fantasy, sometimes paranormal, mystery and even some history.  I've found staying consistent with heat levels and language is more important to my readers than what genres I mix.

Also, I use my fonts to show the difference.  Everything is pretty much G rated or mildly PG unless it's all in capitals.  That's my "adult content" which is probably PG or PG-13 at most.  8)

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 10:01:22 am »
    Suspense Espionage Thriller, combination military and civilians ...  two reasons, that's what I read, and that's what I know best.  Also requires intense research, which I enjoy as well.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:45:44 am »
    First of all, I would say that anybody elses writing experience and advice is just that, their experience. For me, I write romance of various stripes, with what I guess you would call womens fiction and contemporary fiction thrown in, sometimes with suspense and always with humor. I write that because those are the only stories that come to me and always have been. I read mostly adventure, suspense, and nonfiction, though.

I would say, possibly more important than the genre, know your brand, or maybe, figure out your brand. What you do well. What resonates with readers.That is deeper than the genre or subgenre you write, the tropes, whatever. My own brand centers around family, warmth, humor, relationships of all kinds, distinct settings, strong characterization and dialogue, and sex-positive, communication-positive relationships. ETA: I guess what you would call emotionally mature love. 

I do not write riveting plots, angst, or high drama, except of the family kind. I do write long and somewhat complex books for romance readers who enjoy those. I aim to write re-readable books. That is not the biggest segment of the market, but it is big enough, and it is a pretty loyal segment.

I could probably write womens fiction or more straight suspense and do pretty well, but I like stories better when they have a romance in them, I love realistic humor in books, and I love writing sex. 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:47:24 am by Usedtoposthere »

Offline Carol Davis

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Carol Davis Author
    « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 10:47:20 am »
    I've written science fiction, horror, chick lit, sweet romance, PNR -- all over the map. BUT almost all of it centers around family drama, because that's where my brain lives (and always has, pretty much).

Online Ted Cross

• Rome, Italy
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 11:11:41 am »
    I write both fantasy and science fiction. I love to read both, but I thought at first that I would only write fantasy. But as I developed the backstory of the wizard in my fantasy novel, it seemed so fascinating to me that I decided to write it, and that's how I ended up writing a sci-fi novel that turned into my best seller.

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 12:42:30 pm »
    Ancient Historical Fiction - but with lots of intrigue, adventure, politics, violence. I love the B.C. period of time. I enjoy researching that time period and writing on it. My readers seem to like my books.

I will stick to this genre though I do have an idea for what I think could be a pretty interesting thriller.

One advantage of my genre is that the books never go "stale"--they're set in worlds 2,000 to 3,000 years old, and I never have to worry about the "contemporary" aspects of writing!

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 01:26:02 pm »
    I like to switch it up, but I learned that I need to make it humor no matter what it is.  When I tried to do a more serious book series I ended up sitting there thinking, you know, this is not fun anymore.  So, keeping things light helps keep me interested.

And, I may be an outlier, but I really want to make positive romance a thing in my books.  I feel like romance always means drama, fights, making up and all that, but I always liked the idea where two characters might just work good.  Maybe it's a pipe dream, it's just, I kinda like doing a story where the conflict comes from living in a crazy world, and the romance helps to settle things down.  Heh, so if it counts, then I do positive romance.  Just because it makes me smile.

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 03:48:13 pm »
    I've written a variety of genres ever since I was a little kid. It seemed natural to me back then to follow up a book about dancing dogs with one about unicorns, then ancient Greek war, kids medieval adventure, kid spies, kids with magic powers, dogs again... 

As an adult, I still change genres every few years (although I don't have so many unicorns or dancing dogs these days). I separate them by pen name and I tend to stick to each genre for 2 - 5 years. That's how long it takes me to get bored, evidently, or to get lured away by greener pastures elsewhere.

Offline jvin248

• View Profile
      • J Gordon Smith - Official Author Weblog
    « Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 05:31:42 pm »

I realized a while back, in spite of skipping through various genres, that I really only write about monsters....

Monsters come in many sizes, shapes, and genre preferences.

My core genre is Science Fiction and Fantasy though.

Offline gmaz135

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 06:03:07 pm »
    Two genres: Retro Aviation Thillers and Noir Mysteries. Not a business decision. It's what I enjoy.
    Tin Man: 14%
    George Mazzeo

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 06:17:42 pm »
    I couldn't figure out why I was winning so many little awards in YA portal and dystopian fantasy. I guess I had found my true voice. And imagine that, at 68 years-old and climbing. Beats me. I started out die-hard adult space opera, and then dabbled in just about everything since then. But I've landed in a YA heap and I'm stuck here for awhile, happily, I might ad.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline Josette

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 12:48:21 am »
    ... what genre(s) they write within and why they chose them. 

I write non-fiction (and offer it for free) because I wanted to inform others, rather than have them go through trial and error and learn about some facts of life the hard way.
    I also wanted to make my books available to everyone, even if they don't have a lot of money to purchase books.
    If you can't find Josette Sona's books on Amazon for free, please try Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JosetteSona
    My books are always free!

Offline MorrowWriter

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • Francis Morrow
    « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 03:20:46 am »
    The closest match in Amazon's genre list is technothriller, although I'd much prefer it if they had a "near future sci-fi" classification. My stories usually have dystopian and thriller elements, as well.

To be honest, my biggest influence has been the high concept movies of my youth. I'm still trying to catch up on my reading, but that's fine; it's never been easier to get your hands on the classics.

Francis Morrow

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 09:36:57 am »
    I write comedy fantasy/horror.

I started out writing YA UF/PNR. And honestly, I didn't love it. And I wasn't successful, at least not sales wise. I won some RWA awards and got good reviews, but sales were flat and my newsletter felt like a pulling-teeth chore. I never knew what to write. It was not a good genre for me, but I started there because I thought that's what I was 'supposed' to write to get trad pubbed, because it was popular and selling.

Mistake! I'm glad I pulled back and regrouped.

If you're planning to be in this as a career, for the long haul, do some soul searching about who you are, what kinds of stories you really really like to read/to watch on TV and in movies, etc. If you do that, chances are it will lead you to the genre that's a good match for your personality.

Once I switched to my current genre? Sales/career took off, and I knew exactly what to say to my fans/newsletter/social media because I *am* one of them. They are my people.

This kind of authenticity is good for your career and good for your soul. I mean, who wants to write stuff they don't love for years on end? Sure, you might end up in a genre where you don't *think* you'll make a zillion dollars, one that's gathering dust on Amazon. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Because if you love it, and no one is writing in that genre, you can own the genre and make a living, even if it is small. Because there are people out there looking for that type of story and waiting for someone to give it to them.

That soul searching is how I ended up in my current genre. I highly recommend it, if you're having doubts about your direction! My two cents, for what it's worth.
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:59:58 am by DmGuay »

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 10:47:54 am »
    I've written quite a few books, but most are in non-standard genres, or perhaps straddle a couple of different ones.  Also, I haven't published all the stuff I've written.

~ "relationship" novel (because it's not a standard romance)...
    ~ ...and also a more romance-y (i.e., standard) romance book
    ~ middle-grade time travel
    ~ historical romance (mostly sweet)
    ~ heist/caper stories, with chick-lit overtones
    ~ a couple of steamy short stories
    ~ buddy-cop stories, featuring beat cops, not detectives

I write stories that interest me... some genres I can't or won't read, and by extension can't bring myself to write.
    Jena

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 01:16:12 pm »
    Sea Adventures chose me. It's what I read.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Alex Anders

• At the intersection of Business and Pleasure
      • View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    « Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
    I've been making my living as an independent author for 10 years. I started out writing adult humor because of a YouTube video I had that went viral. I then wrote kids educational books because I thought it would be funny. None of them made much money.

I then found this forum and realized it was possible to make a living so then I wrote a romantic comedy, a supernatural comedy, and a supernatural thriller, but still made peanuts.

I asked someone here who was making a lot of money what they wrote and they said erotica. I decided I would only write that if I got desperate. When I got desperate, I did and within 3 months I was paying all of my bills with it.

I wrote short: gay erotica, bisexual erotica, and straight bdsm erotica.

Getting a little bored of that after 2 or 3 years, I then wrote werewolf romance novellas. I did that until the market changed and KDP introduced their first exclusive program which completely destroyed my business model.

After that I tried switching to full length romance mystery novels and didn't get any traction. 

And after that I decided to go all in on bisexual romance because,
    1) it was selling well on Amazon.
    2) My besexual erotica sneakily became my best selling over the long term.
    3) I already had a YouTube channel on the topic which would allow me to develop a brand under one topic.

I've been writing it for a little over 4 years and drawing on personal insights has allowed me to not get bored of it.
    MMF Bisexual Romance Author

Website | YouTube | Facebook| Twitter | T-shirts

Offline HelenM

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 06:38:37 pm »
    Historical fiction chose me! Or should I say, her-storical fiction, because it's about telling the stories of ordinary women who so often are overlooked in his-story.

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
      • View Profile
      • ritaleechapman.com
    « Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 10:31:05 pm »
    I have written one horse book and the rest are crime mysteries, sometimes with a touch of romance.

Crime mysteries with a touch of romance and travel
    Rita Lee Chapman | Website | Blogger | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest

Offline JM Hendrikx

• UK
    • Fortune favours the brave.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 01:50:31 am »
    I like HelenM's and Wayne Stinnett's answer, because 'It chose me!' ran through my mind too. They say that about puppies too. I write mostly Fantasy and I love that the possibilities are endless.
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:52:45 am by JM Hendrikx »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
        • View Profile
        • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
      « Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 06:59:25 am »
      I did not choose a genre purposely. I wrote what felt comfortable and real to me. My books are teen and young adult at the core but, cross over into psychological and romantic thriller subgenres.

I don't think I can fall into the formal contraints of a genre and write within those constraints. In other words, I really don't plan or outline my work. I have a basic idea and run with it.

Mark

Offline alcyone

• View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
      I write historical fiction. I was a history major in college, and I like the challenge of researching and creating a story around a historical event or period.

Offline nail file

• View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 04:51:10 am »
      I'm in the 'it chose me' category.

I fell backward into mysteries and thrillers and they made me feel very welcome.

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
        • View Profile
        • The Science Fiction of Rick Partlow
      « Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 11:22:45 am »
      I write mil-SF and space opera.  I chose them because that was what I liked to read and there wasn't enough of it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement