Author Topic: How Hard is it to Change? (Paperback question)  (Read 572 times)  

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
    • Laura Westbrook Writes
How Hard is it to Change? (Paperback question)
« on: September 16, 2020, 05:39:52 pm »
Question!

I've published a handful of ebooks, but I haven't dipped my toe into paperback.

This is probably a noob question, but how easy/difficult is it to change details in a paperback book? Is it as simple as how to do it to an ebook (upload a new version and that's it)?

Also, anything I should keep an eye out for going in?

Thanks in advance!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    Re: How Hard is it to Change? (Paperback question)
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:12:12 pm »
    Changing the details is just the same.  I've changed my blurb from time to time and it all works.  I think it's just anything that's actually printed that is harder to change.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:20:59 pm »
    The one thing that can be tricky is that the print cover size is determined by the page count, so if you change anything you need to make sure that it doesn't change the page count enough to bump you into a larger or smaller template size.

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 06:21:32 pm »
    Changing the details is just the same.  I've changed my blurb from time to time and it all works.  I think it's just anything that's actually printed that is harder to change.

Thanks for responding!

Well, certainly anything that's already printed and to the reader can't be changed. I meant the details changed on Amazon so that future readers will get updated versions. I was curious if it's harder to change the print book details than the ebook details.

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:22:35 pm »
    The one thing that can be tricky is that the print cover size is determined by the page count, so if you change anything you need to make sure that it doesn't change the page count enough to bump you into a larger or smaller template size.

Oooo that's a point I didn't think about. Thanks for sharing that.

How much can generally be added before that becomes an issue?

Offline RockWhitehouse

• Northeast Ohio
      • View Profile
      • iscfleet.com
    « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 06:25:45 pm »
    I've updated the ebooks and paperbacks a couple of times as errors have been pointed out. When book #3 is ready, I'll update #1 and #2 with a few things I've found recently.

It's pretty much the same process as when it is first published.

But, as Shayne says, once you have a paperback cover, you're pretty much locked into that page count. It's one thing to add or delete a comma here or there or fix an awkward sentence, but you can't be adding significant amounts of content.

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 06:30:55 pm »
    I've updated the ebooks and paperbacks a couple of times as errors have been pointed out. When book #3 is ready, I'll update #1 and #2 with a few things I've found recently.

It's pretty much the same process as when it is first published.

But, as Shayne says, once you have a paperback cover, you're pretty much locked into that page count. It's one thing to add or delete a comma here or there or fix an awkward sentence, but you can't be adding significant amounts of content.

Thanks for sharing RWH! I'm guessing a few pages won't change things, but more than that will? Is that cut off-ish?

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 06:38:55 pm »
    Oooo that's a point I didn't think about. Thanks for sharing that.

How much can generally be added before that becomes an issue?

It depends on some things. KDP print templates cover a ten-page range, and they jump up to the next size on the 1s (11, 21, 31, etc.). So, if your book is 322 pages long, you can add 8 pages and stay with the same template, but if you cut two pages you'll wind up dropping down a size. So, basically, what you can add or cut depends on the number you're starting with. Also, cream paper is thicker than white paper, so while you might get away with going from one to the other at a lower page count, at a higher page count switching from one to the other could bump you up or down a size or two.

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 06:47:56 pm »
    It depends on some things. KDP print templates cover a ten-page range, and they jump up to the next size on the 1s (11, 21, 31, etc.). So, if your book is 322 pages long, you can add 8 pages and stay with the same template, but if you cut two pages you'll wind up dropping down a size. So, basically, what you can add or cut depends on the number you're starting with. Also, cream paper is thicker than white paper, so while you might get away with going from one to the other at a lower page count, at a higher page count switching from one to the other could bump you up or down a size or two.

Makes complete sense. I noticed you do covers with your services. If you're handed the PDF of the already-made book cover and told the page count change, could you change the print book cover to match the new page count for a fee? Or does it not work that way?

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 06:49:07 pm »
    Thanks for responding!

Well, certainly anything that's already printed and to the reader can't be changed. I meant the details changed on Amazon so that future readers will get updated versions. I was curious if it's harder to change the print book details than the ebook details.

Ah, I thought you meant changes on the details page.  Got it now  :D

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 06:50:44 pm »
    Ah, I thought you meant changes on the details page.  Got it now  :D

Sorry! I should've been more clear. I mean all the above, but mainly referring to the words on the pages.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 06:56:28 pm »
    Makes complete sense. I noticed you do covers with your services. If you're handed the PDF of the already-made book cover and told the page count change, could you change the print book cover to match the new page count for a fee? Or does it not work that way?

In order to do a proper job it would need to be a layered PSD file, not a PDF. Also, it would need to be a file that you made yourself, or you would need permission for another designer to modify the original file. As cover designers we don't like to mess with someone else's copyrighted work without permission.

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 07:04:02 pm »
    In order to do a proper job it would need to be a layered PSD file, not a PDF. Also, it would need to be a file that you made yourself, or you would need permission for another designer to modify the original file. As cover designers we don't like to mess with someone else's copyrighted work without permission.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Let's say you were hired to make the print book cover. Do you keep the layered PSD file around just in case a client comes back and wants an adjusted print cover (for this reason) later (for an additional fee)?

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 08:24:52 pm »
    Gotcha. That makes sense. Let's say you were hired to make the print book cover. Do you keep the layered PSD file around just in case a client comes back and wants an adjusted print cover (for this reason) later (for an additional fee)?

Yep. I always keep my PSDs, plus I have my computer backed up with Backblaze just in case. :)

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
      • Laura Westbrook Writes
    « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 01:40:33 pm »
    Yep. I always keep my PSDs, plus I have my computer backed up with Backblaze just in case. :)

Ooo that's smart. I wonder if all cover designers do that.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »
    Ooo that's smart. I wonder if all cover designers do that.

I know that some do - I'm friends with quite a few cover designers, and a lot of them take their business very seriously. But I would guess there are plenty that don't think about it, because they're not terribly businesslike.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement