Author Topic: Kobo sales taken a dive.  (Read 512 times)  

Offline DebDougall

• Europe for a while.
    • View Profile
Kobo sales taken a dive.
« on: September 13, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »
So, I released a new book last month and, on Kobo... crickets.
I've only sold two books since then, which is unheard of for a new release. :o And that's with ads running.
Anyone else seeing the same? I mean, it's slower than usual for me everywhere but Kobo sales are in the toilet.
TIA for any thoughts.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    Re: Kobo sales taken a dive.
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 07:37:57 pm »
    I've had books on Kobo for a while and get virtually no sales normally. Don't know what to tell ya...

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:16:25 pm »
    Kobo promos help. Have you tried them?

I wonder if they can deter sales for those not in them?? There was a recent big Labor Day sale in Canada and the US.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 08:21:02 pm »
    I second Kobo in-store promos. The first free in series ones cost $10 and work well.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
    « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:42:53 am »
    The Kobo in-store promo deals are harder to get now than lets say 2 years ago. Secondly, they are not very effective in certain genre's unless you invest in ads (facebook etc...).

Kobo decides what is puts on its storefront based on its readership and for some genre's you basically have little chance agains the big publishers/those with marketing budgets.

Kobo buyers usually are willing to pay more than Amazon buyers for books. Good news? Not quite. The established authors are able to sell at the higher price and hence get more "store front" display time.

I also wonder how Kobo+ will work as it is based on "read time" versus page count. Kobo has been cryptic about the exact mechanics.

Mark

Offline DebDougall

• Europe for a while.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 06:54:31 am »
    Thanks, markpauloleksiw, C. Gockel, alhawke, and JB1111,

Yes, I've tried Kobo promos. The boxset ones work really well but I haven't had much luck with single books.

I'm running BookBub ads, markpauloleksiw. They've always worked okay, but this month is a freakin' disaster. Agree with you re Kobo+. I'm just starting to see results coming through. Nothing to shout about, but they have to start somewhere. I wish it was possible to see the reads in real-time, though, rather than having to wait two months.

G.Cockel, if you see this, how have you found the read-through to be on a free first in series promo?

Thanks again, y'all.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement