Author Topic: Amazon removing reviews, so bummed out  (Read 1225 times)  

Offline mrwizardman

• View Profile
Amazon removing reviews, so bummed out
« on: September 14, 2020, 02:47:20 am »
My book has had 0 reviews for a long time. Two weeks ago, I finally got a review, and it was a 5-star. I was so happy.

1 day later, the review was removed.

1 week ago, a 1-star review was posted (by a different reviewer, I checked their name/review history.)

I'm so bummed out about this. Why does the 5-star review get removed the next day, but the 1-star is the one they let stay?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MorrowWriter

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • Francis Morrow
    Re: Amazon removing reviews, so bummed out
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 03:01:34 am »
    Ouch. That does sound like an annoying scenario. Probably not what you want to hear right now, but getting that first one star review is a rite of passage for all authors. It was going to show up at some point.

Believe it or not, you're significantly more likely to get ratings these days. This is due to a recent change in the Amazon review policy. Keep on at it, and more positive reviews should start showing up.

Francis Morrow

Offline Wired

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 03:19:15 am »
    Amazon's review system is horribly broken.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 03:44:01 am »
    I would comment but it would be political so I'll just say I'm sorry you seem to be getting the typical Amazon treatment and good luck with future reviews.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 05:25:57 am »
    Uggh, sorry to hear that.  It's probably just a case of, amazon do what amazon does.  There could be a bunch of reasons they took that one down, and honestly, there could be a bunch of reasons someone would leave a one star.  Some people will always read your book and think about how they would have wrote it, or what you should have done, or if there was a small thing that bugged them, and rate it a one star.  I've definitely read a lot of one star reviews that say, "I like the book, but..." which sounds a little crazy because if you liked it and had a problem, how is that one star?  Maybe we all just have to try to remember that we are dealing with an irrational system.  At least if it makes no sense, it makes me feel better sometimes  :D

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 06:10:56 am »
    I had a four star review that seemed fair (had a little criticism, but it had some positive things about the book in general), and a couple months later it was removed. No idea why. Also had a one star bomb review that was removed. No idea on that one, either.

Offline Jotheboat

• Littleborough, UK
      • View Profile
      • Jo May
    « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 06:35:21 am »
    I have 2 one-star reviews.
    I console myself in the knowledge that they are from 2 pustulent-buttocked monstrosities who never venture beyond the front door of their own dim-wittedness.
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:41:46 am by Jotheboat »
    jomay.uk

Offline stacia_s

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:53 am »
    Every so often Amazon does a purge and readers lose their review privileges. I won't speculate on what triggers it, because I don't know. But I saw it going around FB a few weeks ago that there was an increase in people saying their review teams had suffered from loss of privileges. When that happens, all the person's reviews disappear basically overnight. That could be the reason.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:26:43 am »
    Every so often Amazon does a purge and readers lose their review privileges. I won't speculate on what triggers it, because I don't know. But I saw it going around FB a few weeks ago that there was an increase in people saying their review teams had suffered from loss of privileges. When that happens, all the person's reviews disappear basically overnight. That could be the reason.

This is pretty much what happens. There is a lot of suspicious activity on Amazon. ALL THE TIME. And if reviewers are caught in suspicious activity, or something Amazon decides is suspicious, all of their reviews are obliterated. Even those that are completely legit. Or reviews that are posted to make the not legit reviews appear legit.

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 01:51:07 pm »
    My friend got a one star review once. It ruined his writing career,other authors kept away from him, his wife left him she was so upset and now he is doing hard time.

On the bright side, I am honoured to be a part of a community of writers that never deserve a one star review.  ;D

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 02:18:06 pm »
    My friend got a one star review once. It ruined his writing career,other authors kept away from him, his wife left him she was so upset and now he is doing hard time.

On the bright side, I am honoured to be a part of a community of writers that never deserve a one star review.  ;D

Bwahahaha! :D

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 04:44:36 pm »
    It's probably something to do with the reviewer. Amazon sees something funky, the review will go. They don't care what the rating is.

There are ways to get more reviews to come in, like Net Galley, Library Thing, and others. More sales helps, too.

Online H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 06:19:10 pm »

Yeah, it's so great to know that our books NEVER deserve a 1 star review. And those people who gave one star are terrible people. But the 5 star folks are all PURE GOLD and NEVER fake, or friends and family, or made by the author, or bought... :P

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 01:50:55 am »
    Yeah, it's so great to know that our books NEVER deserve a 1 star review. And those people who gave one star are terrible people. But the 5 star folks are all PURE GOLD and NEVER fake, or friends and family, or made by the author, or bought... :P

;D

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 07:43:23 am »
    I mean, is a one star review the end of the world?  Nope.  But the situation the OP described would definitely be a bummer.  I think it's hard to say why exactly the reviews did what they did on amazon, but it's easy to say, uggh, that sucks, sorry mrwizardman.  But there will be more reviews and they will be a better experience for sure.

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:02 am »
    I don't think a 1-star review for a book with just 1 review would be a turn off for many readers. I'm thinking most of us who'd be willing to try something new would overlook the oddity of 1 review only and that one's 1 star. Don't get too disheartened OP - just keep going and hopefully a few 4/5 * will pull you up. I still hate it when I get 1, 2, o 3* reviews. I'm still very salty about a 1* for one of my books, which is clearly depicted to have military violence, that it had military violence :) but such is life.

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 11:42:14 am »
    A proper kick in the teeth that the 5-star was removed but they left the 1-star alone.

As others have said, focus on getting more copies of the book out there. New reviews will soon drown out that 1-star.

Offline J Bee

• No matter the genre, it's all about heart.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 02:20:13 pm »
    I don't think a 1-star review for a book with just 1 review would be a turn off for many readers.

Really? I appreciate that everyone is trying to bolster the spirits of someone who is in truly upsetting situation, but let's not insult their intelligence.

My advice to the OP? Make a list of the five most brilliant books you've ever read. Then look those titles up on Amazon and see that they all have one-star reviews. Everyone has a different opinion of what makes a great read. Try not to let it get you down too much when you run into people who don't share your vision. Instead let it motivate you to promote and get more reviews so that potential customers have a more nuanced opinion of your work.

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 04:15:40 pm »
    I said "I don't think", it's just my opinion on how I view it. Don't need to gatekeep.

Really? I appreciate that everyone is trying to bolster the spirits of someone who is in truly upsetting situation, but let's not insult their intelligence.

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 08:59:20 pm »
    I've had a reviewer's review disappear, reappear and then disappear again. It turned out the reviewer was entering a lot of 5 star reviews. Like a 1000. So, a lot of times it has nothing to do with your book but, actually, the reviewer's reputation. I'm guessing Amazon is checking up on them, just like ImaWriter suggested.

To the OP, so sorry to hear this. From 5 to 1 is disheartening. This is the problem when books have few reviews. I hope things turn around for you.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline Jotheboat

• Littleborough, UK
      • View Profile
      • Jo May
    « Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 04:01:46 am »
    Bummed out?? When did that beauty enter our wonderful language?
    jomay.uk

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 04:29:42 am »
    Bummed out?? When did that beauty enter our wonderful language?

Ha, the 90s.  Definitely the 90s.  I believe "bummer, dude" was the exact vernacular.
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:34:10 am by NikOK »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement