Author Topic: What drives readers price or story?  (Read 525 times)  

Offline Hasbeen

• View Profile
What drives readers price or story?
« on: September 14, 2020, 03:38:44 pm »
I have back catalogue that just seems to sit there. I have five star or four and three quarters reviews across the board.

I've tried dropping the price on the first book in my series. No big jump in sales for it or the series. I've done promotions but they still stumble along.

There have been a lot of threads about dropping the price of the first in a series but that did not work even with advertising.

The market is getting more and more crowded. What have you found that works to keep your catalogue working for you. I know writing more books works but how do I work my catalogue?

I beginning to think that story or subject matter is more important than pricing. Times are a changing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    Re: What drives readers price or story?
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 04:22:47 pm »
    The trick is to keep writing until you hit on something that draws readers into your backlist. Simply shuffling and shuffling your backlist price isn't going to do anything. It's about visibility, and the best way to get that is to get more books out there.

Amanda M. Lee

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 05:44:06 pm »
    It's not just a question of story vs price. It's also a question of quality. Are you putting out a product with a decent cover and a good blurb? Those things can make a huge difference.

Offline Hasbeen

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 07:29:15 pm »
    As far as cover and blurb. I always use a professional cover and the blurb I work hard at it and study other blurbs in the genre.

I've got everything from a textbook, to non-fiction and a couple of different fiction genre's. My sci fi are the money makers. I've got two series one five books and one three books plus a couple of stand alones. In addition I have two bundles of the two series.

I'm working on another sci fi series now but I'm trying to figure out how to make my sci fi catalogue perform better while I work at producing more books. 

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:32:42 pm »
    One could also look at it this way: at whatever price you have your back catalogue presently, $0 income is still $0 income, and it's a lot less than what you might get if you price competitively.

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:33:50 pm »
    I just realized that I made a large assumption that I shouldnt have made regarding your pricing. What are you pricing at?

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:55:40 am »
    You can make everything free or drop the price 90 percent but you have to bring eyes to it or it really does no good. 

Offline nail file

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:49:35 am »
    As far as cover and blurb. I always use a professional cover and the blurb I work hard at it and study other blurbs in the genre.

That's admirable but that doesn't mean your cover and blurb are still working to draw in readers. Having a professional cover and a blurb you worked hard on still doesn't mean anything if it is still missing the mark.

I've got everything from a textbook, to non-fiction and a couple of different fiction genre's. My sci fi are the money makers. I've got two series one five books and one three books plus a couple of stand alones. In addition I have two bundles of the two series.

I'm confused. You have a mixed offering and you're wondering why readers who come for one genre aren't reading through your entire mixed catalogue? Or is this about the scifi in general?

I'm working on another sci fi series now but I'm trying to figure out how to make my sci fi catalogue perform better while I work at producing more books. 

I know many writers have succeeded with a mixed catalogue but I really have to wonder if yours is hindering more than helping at this point.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 06:02:45 am »
    That missing comma threw me for a minute. Anyway, do your series books include the first chapter of the following book like some authors do? Or perhaps include the first chapter of a prior book in the series? Something to get eyes on more of your work and perhaps cause readers to want to read that work also?
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Hasbeen

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 09:32:15 am »
    First to clear up some confusion. I listed the types of books I had written simply to demonstrate that I had some experience in this business but am still struggling along. I use pen names for my fiction. I write in two very different genres and use different pen names for each of the genres. When you search one of my pen names none of the other genre books come up. I decided to focus on the sci fi it is my most successful by far. The first in the series had 250 plus reviews while the others have 30 to 50. They are years old but I just finished the series with a new release this year. 

I had a year long gap in producing any books due to medical problems and am trying to kick start my sales sci fi sales while while I write more.  The first series are priced at 3.99. The other series are shorter each book is between 50,000 and 60,000 words. They are dystopian sci fi and when I looked at the genre I saw a number were about that same length. They are 2.99.

I've tried pricing the first one in the the series at .99 and haven't seen any sell through. I've done some advertising using the usual suspects. They still just sit there with few new buys. I followed the relaunch strategy and replaced the covers and rewrote the blurbs. I saw a small increase in sales but nothing big or steady. 

My original question was too broad I think. It should have been how do you work your back catalogs to increase sales? Especially when you've had a gap in production. 

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 11:37:52 am »
    This summer, I made first in series free and advertised a few times with Fussy Librarian.  That had a fairly good return...but I'm putting the series back into KU for the holidays.  Next week, I'll advertise the first book FREE for five days (again with a Fussy Librarian promo) and see how that goes.  8)

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

KBoards.com

• Advertisement