Author Topic: CreateSpace to KDP paperback transition question  (Read 482 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
CreateSpace to KDP paperback transition question
« on: September 15, 2020, 02:39:21 pm »
Hey All

I'm trying to convert a number of paperbacks originally published with CreateSpace. I thought this would be a simple case of hitting the "Link existing titles" but this does not work, presumably because I published them with CS originally. Do I have to basically create a new paperback all over again with KDP? If so, what happens to the old CS copy on my homepage and the old ISBN number?

Thanks!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    Re: CreateSpace to KDP paperback transition question
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:09:23 pm »
    I thought they force migrated everyone from CS to KDP over a year ago. Have you checked that you don't already have a KDP account listing all those titles? I don't think I could even log into CreateSpace after a certain point in time.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 04:35:35 am »
    You would have been notified and prompted many times two years ago to move your CS titles to KDP. It sounds like you didn't. Start here: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GSJULX3WGP36HQ3R.

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 06:25:41 am »
    isn,'t there a banner or something like that at the top of your KDP dashboard that help with that?

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 07:09:56 am »
    isn,'t there a banner or something like that at the top of your KDP dashboard that help with that?

There is on my page. I haven't clicked the link, because I never got around to doing anything at CS, but it should walk people through the process of finding books that were migrated. I do know that if someone didn't have a KDP account, Amazon made them one, so they'd have to fix all that.

Offline Elliott Kay

• Seattle, WA, USA
      • View Profile
      • Elliottkay.com
    « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 01:27:09 pm »
    The banner and the links attached here work, however the steps they lead to don't seem to do anything.

I was bad and let this stuff slide when the changeover happened and now I can't access the files for my paperbacks, which I paid Createspace to format. So far I haven't found a way to retrieve them.
    If anyone's got tips on that, let me know, but so far I think I'm out of luck.

Always read the warning labels!
    Elliott Kay | My blog

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:10:10 pm »
    but so far I think I'm out of luck.

I think you're right. They harped at us to migrate and said if we didn't they would eventually do it before CS closed the doors. So if you're not seeing your books in your account, you're probably SOL.

There were issues with the manual migrations we did ourselves. God knows how badly they could have screwed up an automatic migrations of gazillions of books.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:46:18 am »
    The banner and the links attached here work, however the steps they lead to don't seem to do anything.
    Then you'll have to try to get KDP customer support to help you. The books exist in the KDP system. You just need help finding them, and getting them associated with the correct KDP account.

Online boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 06:57:57 am »
    I thought they force migrated everyone from CS to KDP over a year ago. Have you checked that you don't already have a KDP account listing all those titles? I don't think I could even log into CreateSpace after a certain point in time.

I thought so too, and just waited it out.  Amz migrated my books whole and complete, with a couple minimal typo-type errors which I fixed once it went live in Amz.  No issues with mine - and since then I've made a few changes to presentation - modified the cover and the support text a little, with success. My tech skills are weaker than many Indi writers, so when I can, I let Amz do what it does and interact later if it needs it.  Always had pretty good luck emailing from the author page.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 04:58:30 am »
    Then you'll have to try to get KDP customer support to help you. The books exist in the KDP system. You just need help finding them, and getting them associated with the correct KDP account.

This. Amazon is used to doing it for those who didn't migrate themselves. It's still happening even this long after CS was closed. Believe it or not, there are people who haven't looked at their publishing accounts for years, and have been befuddled to learn CS doesn't exist and their books are hanging around somewhere in KDP. It's worse for those who didn't already have a KDP account, as Amazon made them one, but of course the publisher has no clue.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement