Author Topic: Odd... There seems to be tons of indie authors in North Florida... but why?  (Read 1434 times)  

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
    • View Profile
Curious. There appear to be lots of self-pubbed authors in North Florida... specifically in Jacksonville, Sarasota and Orlando.

Source link: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/books-and-authors/top-cities-and-states-in-the-u-s-for-self-publishing-authors

Amazon just reported the vicinities in the USA where the most KDP authors live. Incidentally, California has the most KDP authors of any state; NYC has the most KDP authors of any city; Oregon state has the most KDP authors per capita; and Colorado Springs has the most per capita.

But, back to North Florida. What the hey? No disparagement, I like Florida. But I don't associate that area with literary stuff. Could the reason be...

retirees?

taxes?

alligators?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    Re: Odd... There seems to be tons of indie authors in North Florida... but why?
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:24:49 pm »
    I like alligators, let's go with alligators.  But also, you can't discount the Southern heat.  There's probably three months out of the year where people in North Florida think, yep, screw the outdoors today, maybe I'll write a book.  Heh, or maybe there are real reasons.  Floridians are natural storytellers?  I've definitely met a few who could talk you ear off.

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:50 pm »
    That is really interesting. Sounds like retirees is the best answer.

Mark

Online boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:58:50 pm »
    Lots of retired folks in Florida that always wanted to write a book and become famous. Or, rich.

Offline Blerg et al.

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:18:48 pm »
    David Wright's decoy addresses?
    Wyrmwind #2: 15%

Atlas #3: 10%

Gulf Coast Poetry: 90%
    I edit books! Here's my: | kboards editor thread | website

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:32:55 pm »
    Lots of retired folks in Florida that always wanted to write a book and become famous. Or, rich.

Yeah! Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.

Surprising though that there's no South Florida in there. Key West? Hemingway's hangout? Nope.

Floridians are natural storytellers?  I've definitely met a few who could talk you ear off.

Floridians are indeed colorful!

Offline jvin248

• View Profile
      • J Gordon Smith - Official Author Weblog
    « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:39:39 pm »

Author demographics favors retirees. No real surprises.

Would be interesting to see the split of genre by location.

Edit: Jacksonville has a writers club that meets every week, I didn't look at the other cities but here's a list for all the groups in Florida.
    https://floridawriters.net/membership/writers-groups/
    Possible there is a magnet group in the North of Florida that spins off more writers than the other states... "here's how you publish your books".

Perhaps a demographic of kboards could be fun to map out too.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:45:32 pm by jvin248 »

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
      • View Profile
      • The Science Fiction of Rick Partlow
    « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:55:03 pm »
    I am in central Florida (as is Orlando).  Not retired.  I was born here.

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 06:12:18 pm »
    Oh, man, haha. I lived most of my life in South Florida. Chattahootchie floors and jealousy windows.

Really nice people. From what I saw.

Online boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »
    I am in central Florida (as is Orlando).  Not retired.  I was born here.

Leesburg, formerly Jacksonville ... retired and loving it.  Love that Apopka Wildlife Drive
      Happy camping ...   M44

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:37:29 pm »
    Where did they get this info?

I have a hard time believing Portland is #3 on the list. I rarely meet people who even know what KU is.

I don't know many fellow PNW authors but that might be a genre thing. Romance seems underrepresented in liberal and/or urban areas.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 05:34:58 am »
    I'm in Chicago. There are a few of us around here, but maybe not many of us per capita. The cost of living is high here and the weather sucks in summer and in winter and most of spring. When our kids are out of school we'll probably leave.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:33:29 am »
    Maybe because Florida has a population of about 21 million people, so it's the third most populated U.S. state?

I curious about these Louisville peeps. 10 per capita?? In Louisville?

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:26:11 am »
    I asked the question to an ex-colleague now living in Florida. He told me there is a high presence of Romance writers in Flordia.

Mark

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:19 am »

Floridians are indeed colorful!

HA!  Floridaman looks pretty ridiculous and I like it.  I bet it has great fan-boat chase scenes.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 09:19:58 am »
    HA!  Floridaman looks pretty ridiculous and I like it.  I bet it has great fan-boat chase scenes.

Here you go. It's a Kickstarter actually, I have no connection to it but it looks good;

I just happened to have browsed it a couple days ago.

kickstarter.com/projects/chrisbraly/florida-man-the-graphic-novel

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:40:26 am »
    I asked the question to an ex-colleague now living in Florida. He told me there is a high presence of Romance writers in Flordia.

That would make sense; but funny how they all seem bunched in the top half of the state? I don't know.

Perhaps Wayne Stinnett may chime in? NINC chairperson, Florida man. If he doesn't know I don't know who would!

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 10:07:04 am »
    That would make sense; but funny how they all seem bunched in the top half of the state? I don't know.

Perhaps Wayne Stinnett may chime in? NINC chairperson, Florida man. If he doesn't know I don't know who would!

Isn't that the more conservative part of Florida? Romance skews conservative.

It's very conservative in the literal definition of the word: it reenforces gender roles& the marriage + kids as an endgame for everyone as the status quo. And the readers tend to skew moderate to conservative as well (according to my FB data at least, and I push feminism + questioning of gender norms pretty hard in my books).

(Not all books or all authors, but in general).

Offline HeyImAnAuthor

• I love writing fantasy.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 01:07:46 pm »
    I live in fort myers, which is an hour and a half from Sarasota.

There are a LOT of artsy/ creative types that live there. Its the one I am familiar with because I live close by, but Im sure it is the same for the other cities in Florida. There is the Sarasota opera, ballet, and orchestra that are there. There is another professional orchestra there called the Venice symphony. There is the ringling museum and the ringling school of art. FSU also has a theater campus there and there is the New College of Florida that is there. Retired circus performers live there.

Stephen king and Mary Grand Pre live in Sarasota.

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 02:22:58 pm »
    Retired circus performers.

Sounds like a terrific idea for a book series.

Mark

Offline Indy Strange

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 02:41:16 pm »
    Where did they get this info?

I have a hard time believing Portland is #3 on the list. I rarely meet people who even know what KU is.

I don't know many fellow PNW authors but that might be a genre thing. Romance seems underrepresented in liberal and/or urban areas.
    I know that Seattle has a decent amount of writers who work on LGBT Romance. I enviously stare at the pics they post online because they'll have author meet-ups in cool weather while I'm sweating like a lonely pig in the deep south.
    Blood and Motive: 75%

Keep Calm and Don't Eat People: 40%

Just The Tip: 20%
    Indy Strange | Twitter

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 03:20:31 pm »

No one who lives in Florida would consider Sarasota or Orlando "Northern Florida", or even the "top half" - they're Central Florida.  ;)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 03:36:07 pm »
    No one who lives in Florida would consider Sarasota or Orlando "Northern Florida", or even the "top half" - they're Central Florida.  ;)

Ha, okay. Noted!

Offline kathc2

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 05:25:50 pm »
    I'm near Tampa and there are many indie authors in the area. As someone upstream mentioned, there are lots of romance authors here, but I've met lots of authors who publish in various genres. Some retirees, lots of young people, too. It's in the sea breeze.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 06:39:32 pm »
    I'm not an expert, but I think a number of these cities have an active "artsy" population or reputation.

As or the supposed number of writers in Florida, I think the OP Triceratops may have, at least in part, answered his/her own question: no state income tax.  Add that to the weather, and that's a pretty strong incentive for some people to want to live there.  (Although this past week, the weather might have come into question.)
    Jena

KBoards.com

• Advertisement