Author Topic: Amazon Customer Reviews and Ratings - difference?  (Read 854 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
Amazon Customer Reviews and Ratings - difference?
« on: September 18, 2020, 08:26:16 pm »
I have one review on my new release this week (denoted by an actual star rating), but when I scroll down to read it, it is not there, nor is it on any other Amazon territory page. I notice that down where the review should be, it says "There are 0 customer reviews and 1 customer rating"

Not noticed this before - what is a rating if it is not a review, and why can't I see this rating? Is it a new way to allow reviewers to hit and run?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    Re: Amazon Customer Reviews and Ratings - difference?
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:14:04 pm »
    It's a star rating. We now have the option of leaving a star rating without having to leave a review.

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
    It's a star rating. We now have the option of leaving a star rating without having to leave a review.

Thanks Shayne - I presume you have to be logged in to do this, right? If not, this is just ripe for abuse.

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 06:53:12 pm »
    Ratings = Stars, Reviews = Comments

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 07:38:18 pm »
    Ratings = Stars, Reviews = Comments

Thanks Catherine - why I'm confused here is that in the past when you get a suspicious review, i.e. one star and "awful" or whatever written in the review, and delivered an hour after the book was published, etc., I've been able to click on that reviewer's name and see their review history and determine if they are genuine or not. This time, someone delivered a one star "rating" about three hours after publication, and yet there is nothing for me to click on, no way to tell at all who this person is, what they review, nothing. It's just a one star, dumped out of nowhere by someone who has not read the book, and with total impunity. Am I missing something?  >:(

I can see the innovation of leaving a rating without a review, but surely that rating should not be totally anonymous? I for one will be emailing KDP every single time I get a critical anonymous "rating" and asking for them to verify it's an authentic purchase. And so should every other writer - flood KDP with emails demanding to verify if the reviews are genuine or not.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:29:14 pm by Redgum »

Offline EmberKent

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
      • Ember Editing
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 12:08:59 pm »
    Ratings can only be left through a verified copy in the Kindle app upon reaching the end of the book.

Random ratings cannot be left.

Someone rating-bombing you would require them to individually buy dozens/hundreds of copies of your book across dozens/hundreds of Amazon accounts. Not only would Amazon detect this and remove the fraudulent ratings, you'd walk away with a good payday and a rise in rankings. The exact opposite result a competitor would want.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 12:58:56 pm »
    Thanks Shayne - I presume you have to be logged in to do this, right? If not, this is just ripe for abuse.

The option to leave a star rating pops up on your Kindle when you get to the end of the book. That's the only time I've seen the option to do it.

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 07:17:19 pm »
    The option to leave a star rating pops up on your Kindle when you get to the end of the book. That's the only time I've seen the option to do it.

Thanks Shayne and EmberKent for the explanations which put my mind at rest a little, but it's obvious anonymous ratings are going to be abused one way or another, so problematic in the end.

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 07:03:55 am »
    Ratings can only be left through a verified copy in the Kindle app upon reaching the end of the book.

Random ratings cannot be left.

That's a really good point.  It would be really time consuming and awkward for people to abuse the rating system, probably.  And, that's a big probably.  As someone who knows extremely little about tech stuff I always think, well maybe somebody else could figure out how to screw with this system.  It may actually be nothing, but I get the OPs concerns about not being able to check reviews yourself.  I think it's hard for a lot of us to step back and say, hey amazon, you got this.

Offline RMLCPL

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 07:36:36 pm »
    Just FYI,  for books purchased on Amazon, I have received emails with the option  to anonymously star rate w/o a written review. (You don't have to be on your Kindle or in the app to do it.)

I'm in Kindle Unlimited now.  At the end of my first KU read was the option to anonymously star rate w/o a written review. It's my understanding that Kindle Unlimited/  subscription service books are not considered verified purchases. You can star rate anonymously without a verified purchase.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement