Author Topic: Greetings! I just published my first book on Amazon  (Read 2035 times)  

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
  • I write way too much to email. Sorry!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings! I just published my first book on Amazon
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 01:14:40 pm »
NOOB author, no marketing and $335.00 on one book in a month?
WHOA. That's impressive. I'm serious. My wife & I do about 100K/year at this, and have been at it for seven years. The market it tremendously competitive right now.

OHHHKAAAY rookie LOL a little advice:
Start a mailing list immediately. Put the link in your book (I'd suggest at the front as well as the back. I suggest MailerLite; Mailchimp used to be wonderful, but they're going after bigger spenders than Indie authors.

Other than that single peice of advice, keep writing. Your readers are going to want to know what the heck is going to happen w/ Cassie & Griff. Your covers are servicable-- not great, but it doesn't suck. And as far as editing goes, yes its important, but for now, grab one or two (or 3?) of those people who reviewed Book 1 and ask them to proof/beta for you. You can pick up pro's down the road.

Indie writing can change your frikkin' life, Karen. (USN or USMC?) You'd be amazed at how many people started out on this board who were driving a truck or pushing a cab and now life a wonderful life.

Keep dreaming, but girl- WRITE. 1-2K /day is fine if you can maintain that 5 days a week. That's a new book every 3 months at least.
Congratulations.

USN...and no jokes about the mens room if you are a devil dawg.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have to admit I am terrified of mailing list. Im not sure of what to say. I just dont know how to manage it. I am afraid it will take my focus from writing.

Welcome, Karen.
From one rookie to another  :D
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Feel free to take or leave my advice, as I am by no means raking it in LOL

1) Having used one, I do recommend an editor. I learned a lot from her, and feel a lot better about my final product.
2) Look into facebook and amazon ads if you are looking for sales/exposure.
3) Above all else, keep writing. But make sure that you find the product worthy!

I understand that some people make a living at this, but most writers do not. Yours truly included  :) But I'm OK with that. So my final piece of advice is don't lose sight of why you write in the first place.

All the best of luck to you!

I am still confused about ads. Im not even sure I understood the key words when I published. I have no idea about key words. I dont even understand mailing lists.

:-X

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 11:42:18 am »
    USN...and no jokes about the mens room if you are a devil dawg.

Nope, never joined up; my eldest daughter was a Capt in the USMC. She's out now, married to 'Major Dad' lol. I got my [crap]s and giggles from NYPD back in the 80's.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have to admit I am terrified of mailing list. Im not sure of what to say. I just dont know how to manage it. I am afraid it will take my focus from writing.

I am still confused about ads. Im not even sure I understood the key words when I published. I have no idea about key words. I dont even understand mailing lists.

:-X
    Let me begin with saying that YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL OF IT ALL AT ONCE! LOL
    There's a L O T to learn as a newbie on how to turn electrons on a screen into money. For cryin' out loud, if it was easy, even MORE people would be doing it! So I don't blame you for being apprehensive at all.

Yeah, and I'm willing to bet $$ that your hand shook a little when you hit 'Publish'. I'm confident there were tons of times you found yourself facing something daunting and backed off. Believe me, I get it. There's a lot of stuff about this biz that makes me skittish. But it's important.

I'll be surprised if there's ONE successful author on this forum who didn't wish they didn't start their mailing list right at the jump. (Now let all of them pipe up! LOL)

OK, my 2 cents.
    First, you need a good book. I read your look inside and there's no doubt you got the chops as a writer. The vast majority of Indie stuff is dreck, and out of the gate you got the goods. I'm envious, b/c out of the gate our stuff (wife & I) was dreck. Actually, dreck's too charitable a term. You blew past that.

Second is a decent cover. You got that.
    Third is your blurb. Yours is good.

You're a natural at this.

OK then. Now let's build up your skills. TRIGGER WARNING: each skill I describe is going to take time for you to first learn, then get good at. They're SKILLS.
    BUT
    Once you get proficient, they're always there. Maybe a bit of sharpening up here and there is required (for me, NINC is where that happens) But on a day to day basis, those things I once struggled with are now second nature. For example I put together a big newsletter yesterday to our small list of 1,400 readers. From copy, artwork to upload took 3 hrs. (copy writing took up the bulk of the time)

First newsletter? HAH! A couple of days. Seriously.

So...SKILL NUMERO UNO:
    Keywords. You need to spend time on this. When I first started out, I honestly thought it was seven individual words. For real. I was at this for about two years until I took a dive into that and found out that it's not seven words. How many sales did that cost me? Oh boy...

Here's a link to start learning them. Dave Chesson is a fantastic guy; he's as legit as he seems. He's also a gifted teacher (and a USN vet/reservist?) The course below is free, but don't be fooled by the cheap price: it's gold, pure gold. I refer to it at least 2x a year even now.
    https://kindlepreneur.com/book-marketing-101/

He's got some awesome tools that can help at a great price, but you can hold off on buying them. I love his 'Publisher Rocket'.

Go through that instructional series I linked up above step by step over the course of a few weeks. You'll be blown away by how much you'll learn. I owe a large chunk of my current dream life to him. (And, TBH, this forum.)

I'm harping on the mailing list, but you can start one for free, and go from there. Just work at it for 20 mins at a time over a couple of weeks and you'll be ready to go. If you need a hand, PM me. I put up a post years ago on how to get started w/ Mail Chimp b/c I tore my hair out trying to figure it out, but Mailer Lite's got all the bells and whistles you'll need and a pretty darn good start up series of instructions.

Ads? You don't need 'em at this stage. You're gaining readers and only have the one book. Watch this video:
    https://youtu.be/ZVi5BM8_z9I
    Chris Fox is another awesome guy.

FINAL NOTE:
    Take your time. Success in this biz is a long term process. BUT each success can be compounded by the next.
    Best of luck!

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 10, 2020, 01:43:44 pm »
    Let me begin with saying that YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL OF IT ALL AT ONCE! LOL
    There's a L O T to learn as a newbie on how to turn electrons on a screen into money. For cryin' out loud, if it was easy, even MORE people would be doing it! So I don't blame you for being apprehensive at all.

Yeah, and I'm willing to bet $$ that your hand shook a little when you hit 'Publish'. I'm confident there were tons of times you found yourself facing something daunting and backed off. Believe me, I get it. There's a lot of stuff about this biz that makes me skittish. But it's important.

I'll be surprised if there's ONE successful author on this forum who didn't wish they didn't start their mailing list right at the jump. (Now let all of them pipe up! LOL)

OK, my 2 cents.
    First, you need a good book. I read your look inside and there's no doubt you got the chops as a writer. The vast majority of Indie stuff is dreck, and out of the gate you got the goods. I'm envious, b/c out of the gate our stuff (wife & I) was dreck. Actually, dreck's too charitable a term. You blew past that.

Second is a decent cover. You got that.
    Third is your blurb. Yours is good.

You're a natural at this.

OK then. Now let's build up your skills. TRIGGER WARNING: each skill I describe is going to take time for you to first learn, then get good at. They're SKILLS.
    BUT
    Once you get proficient, they're always there. Maybe a bit of sharpening up here and there is required (for me, NINC is where that happens) But on a day to day basis, those things I once struggled with are now second nature. For example I put together a big newsletter yesterday to our small list of 1,400 readers. From copy, artwork to upload took 3 hrs. (copy writing took up the bulk of the time)

First newsletter? HAH! A couple of days. Seriously.

So...SKILL NUMERO UNO:
    Keywords. You need to spend time on this. When I first started out, I honestly thought it was seven individual words. For real. I was at this for about two years until I took a dive into that and found out that it's not seven words. How many sales did that cost me? Oh boy...

Here's a link to start learning them. Dave Chesson is a fantastic guy; he's as legit as he seems. He's also a gifted teacher (and a USN vet/reservist?) The course below is free, but don't be fooled by the cheap price: it's gold, pure gold. I refer to it at least 2x a year even now.
    https://kindlepreneur.com/book-marketing-101/

He's got some awesome tools that can help at a great price, but you can hold off on buying them. I love his 'Publisher Rocket'.

Go through that instructional series I linked up above step by step over the course of a few weeks. You'll be blown away by how much you'll learn. I owe a large chunk of my current dream life to him. (And, TBH, this forum.)

I'm harping on the mailing list, but you can start one for free, and go from there. Just work at it for 20 mins at a time over a couple of weeks and you'll be ready to go. If you need a hand, PM me. I put up a post years ago on how to get started w/ Mail Chimp b/c I tore my hair out trying to figure it out, but Mailer Lite's got all the bells and whistles you'll need and a pretty darn good start up series of instructions.

Ads? You don't need 'em at this stage. You're gaining readers and only have the one book. Watch this video:
    https://youtu.be/ZVi5BM8_z9I
    Chris Fox is another awesome guy.

FINAL NOTE:
    Take your time. Success in this biz is a long term process. BUT each success can be compounded by the next.
    Best of luck!

Roger that!

Offline Sheridan_West

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 10, 2020, 03:26:25 pm »
    I added my book to a few lists at Goodreads for my genre.

Never heard of such option, how do you do it?
    Is it Listopedia? Thanks for mentioning, I haven't heard of this option before!!!
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:31:41 pm by Sheridan_West »

Sheridan West

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 08:56:11 am »
    Never heard of such option, how do you do it?
    Is it Listopedia? Thanks for mentioning, I haven't heard of this option before!!!

No, GR has list created by users. For instance, you can Google best murder mystery books or something like that and there is usually a list on GR that users have created for that type of book. Anyone can add to the list once it is created if you have an account. An easy way to find a list is to look up a similar type book, and see if that book is on a list. Or just Google.

I cant really say this is a marketing tool, but I use the lists to find a specific type of book when I dont know what I want to read next. I figure other people do too.

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 11:48:15 am »
    For easier managing, I am going to keep my questions to one thread.

First, I think my first book is doing well. Based on the convos here, I think its doing well. So, I am still learning the ins and outs. I recently ran a very cheap FB ad promoting the first book because its been so long since I have run any adds, and I wanted to get a feel of for the process. Now I am preparing to launch Book 2 in November. I have an editor, and I feel confident in their abilities.

I am wondering what I could or should do for this next release? Keep in mind, I am a novice.

Thank you,

KM

Edit:

I am not ready for mailings lists and what not. I am just talking about basic strategy.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:50:18 am by Karen Monroe »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement