Author Topic: Greetings! I just published my first book on Amazon  (Read 2088 times)  

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
  • I write way too much to email. Sorry!
    • View Profile
Greetings! I just published my first book on Amazon
« on: September 19, 2020, 02:07:10 pm »
Hey there! I just joined the boards today and I wanted to detail the first month of my publishing journey. I will be providing sales and KU reads. Id like to get any feedback on the numbers for a newbie author. Of course, I am happy with the numbers and I realize its subjective, but Id appreciate the feedback.

I have published before with a small/indie press years ago, but those books are out of print and the publishing house is defunct. A couple of years ago I published something on Smashwords. I even paid for advertising on FB and an editor. LOL...I sold a grand told of 5 books at .99.

This time I decided to go in the opposite direction. I priced my book at $3.99. I did not advertise or run any promos via Amazon. I did not pay for an editor. I used Grammarly and the read-aloud function in MS Word. I paid $35 for a cover on Etsy. The only thing I did do was update my FB page and I added my book to a few lists at Goodreads for my genre.

Worth the Risk was published on August 20. For that I month I made about $100 month. I sold 10 books and had 16,691 KU reads. My KENP is 302.

So far for September, I have sold 28 books and have 60,602 KU reads. According to the estimator Ive made about $335.

Okay, so thats my journey so far. I am interested in your journey or opinion on sales and whatnot. Again, Im happy with the numbers, but I am curious if others think they are good, marginal, or bad.

Thanks for your time!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:17:25 pm by Karen Monroe »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Re: Greetings! I just published my first book on Amazon
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 02:18:09 pm »
    Well done on publishing, Karen! Congrats on the book.

And well done on joining this forum, too. Lots of knowledgeable people on here, with a lot of collective experience.

I'm still a small-time author myself, but I wouldn't have even got as far as I have without the wisdom of more successful people on this forum.

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 02:34:41 pm »
    Thank you!  :D

I am looking to gains some insight into how things and KDP work.

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 06:56:09 pm »
    Congrats and welcome!

Your book looks very good. It looks like you got a good thing going here. Stick around and check out past posts to learn more about marketing (ads, promos, newsletters,etc) - that's what I did. Best of luck to you.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 07:02:41 pm »
    Will do! Thank you!

Online Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 08:56:04 pm »
    I would call $100 above average for your first month of self-publishing, and it looks like your second month will be even better. Good decision to go with the $3.99 price point. I know that's scary, especially for a first book, but when it works it's worth it.

I am looking to gains some insight into how things and KDP work.

One of the main things to know is that frequent releases help keep sales rolling, while infrequent releases risk dropping the ball just when things were looking good. So keep up the good work and the momentum. Enjoy your success and then on to book 2 to do it all over again. :) Good luck!

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:50 pm »
    Thats what I am thinking. I wish I was the type of prolific author who can write 7k a day, but me...1k-2k. Then my brain just shuts down.

Im already a third of the way through the next book. The goal is to have published sooner rather than later.

LOL...I put a lot into the book. I was going charge $4.99

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

:D
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:06:31 pm by Karen Monroe »

Offline Mare

• The Red River Valley in rural Oklahoma
    • Life is good if you don't weaken
      • View Profile
      • Mary J Hicks
    « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 04:16:32 am »
    Hey there! I just joined the boards today and I wanted to detail the first month of my publishing journey. I will be providing sales and KU reads. Id like to get any feedback on the numbers for a newbie author. Of course, I am happy with the numbers and I realize its subjective, but Id appreciate the feedback.

I have published before with a small/indie press years ago, but those books are out of print and the publishing house is defunct. A couple of years ago I published something on Smashwords. I even paid for advertising on FB and an editor. LOL...I sold a grand told of 5 books at .99.

This time I decided to go in the opposite direction. I priced my book at $3.99. I did not advertise or run any promos via Amazon. I did not pay for an editor. I used Grammarly and the read-aloud function in MS Word. I paid $35 for a cover on Etsy. The only thing I did do was update my FB page and I added my book to a few lists at Goodreads for my genre.

Worth the Risk was published on August 20. For that I month I made about $100 month. I sold 10 books and had 16,691 KU reads. My KENP is 302.

So far for September, I have sold 28 books and have 60,602 KU reads. According to the estimator Ive made about $335.

Okay, so thats my journey so far. I am interested in your journey or opinion on sales and whatnot. Again, Im happy with the numbers, but I am curious if others think they are good, marginal, or bad.

Thanks for your time!

Sounds great to me, Karen! keep writing. :-) I've been way to long in getting my fourth book out therenot good. :(

Mary J Hicks | Website

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 08:30:21 am »
    Thank you. I lurked here before I published and the most valuable advice I read was to wait a bit before getting nervous. Thats why I waited to join.

I am curious about ads. I see the sponsored products for books on Amazon.com, but I usually only click on the books that appear within Kindle for the book I am reading. I hardly ever visit Amazon.com. All transactions are done in the app, and the ONLY time I go to the .com is to buy a book I cant buy via Kindle... So frustrating.

I do believe more authors would have sales if you could actually buy via the Kindle app. Maybe someday....
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:56:35 am by Karen Monroe »

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
    • I wander lonely as a cloud
      • View Profile
      • Scribbling Tales
    « Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 10:35:08 am »
    Congrats.

You've  earned a lot more money than most authors for you first book. What's it called?

A.T. Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 11:11:49 am »
    Worth the Risk

Offline Picky Cat Editing

• Texas
    • Providing editing services for fiction authors
      • View Profile
      • Picky Cat Editing
    « Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 02:16:54 pm »
    Congrats on getting that first book out there.  :)
    Grammar gremlins on the attack?
    Picky Cat has your back.

Line editing |Copy editing | Proofreading

Picky Cat Editing
    Marty S.
    www.pickycatproofreading.com

Picky Cat on the KBoards Yellow Pages

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 02:53:05 pm »
    Thank you, and thanks to everyone who has commented. As a newb, a lot of this still very new.

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 06:44:31 am »
    Yep, like these nice people have said, congrats on the book.  Seriously.  It's a pretty fun ride to do the book thing, and I hope that it continues to add enjoyment to your life like it has done for a lot of people here.  I don't know, I think everyone has different experiences with the whole writer thing, but if nothing else, it's a trip of constant learning.  So, welcome to the odd world of ups, downs, good days, slow days, and hopefully a long line of future books that tell the story you want to tell.  The first step, the actually doing a thing, that's always the hardest.  Now that you've done it, it's just a matter of how you want to do a thing from here on out.  So, serious congrats because that's a lot further already than most anyone gets  ;D

Offline PeterRhodan

• Gold Coast Australia
    • She'll be right mate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 10:53:00 pm »
    Well done. Don;t be concerned about small sales level (or perceived small sales level) at this stage.
    I launched my first book in February with basically no promotion and sold 29 books that month - probably 5 of them were to friends/relatives!
    I was happy as Larry to sell 29 books! In March I sold 31 books - good - nice and steady - then I sold 51 in April - 112 in May - still no promotion
    The I published my 2nd book - half way through the month - boom - 150 that month - 400+ the next month
    So don't be down on your sales so far.
    If your book is in a series get that next one our ASAP!
    Read the boards here - set up mailing list etc etc etc  but most of all - Just write and write and write enjoyable stories.

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 07:56:56 am »
    Thank you!

Number one advice - keep writing.

You guys inspired me to push through my mental fatigue. Now back to the grind.

Offline markpauloleksiw

• Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Paul Oleksiw's Website
    « Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 08:12:22 am »
    Congrats.

One small word of advice. if you are not using an editor, I suggest using something like ProWriting aid in addition to GRammarly. Grammarly is not perfect and misses some things.

Mark

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 08:15:16 am »
    I feel silly asking this, but what is that?

Edit:

Okay, I looked it up. I had never heard of it before. I will be checking this out.

On a side note, I would love an editor, but the prices are out of my league.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:23:24 am by Karen Monroe »

Offline Picky Cat Editing

• Texas
    • Providing editing services for fiction authors
      • View Profile
      • Picky Cat Editing
    « Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 09:49:14 am »
    I feel silly asking this, but what is that?

Edit:

Okay, I looked it up. I had never heard of it before. I will be checking this out.

On a side note, I would love an editor, but the prices are out of my league.

I try to offer affordable editing and proofreading options for authors. Check out my KB resource page and let me know if you have any questions about anything. Grammarly and PWA are nice but it doesn't hurt to at least have a proofread from human eyes to catch anything that might have slipped by.
    Grammar gremlins on the attack?
    Picky Cat has your back.

Line editing |Copy editing | Proofreading

Picky Cat Editing
    Marty S.
    www.pickycatproofreading.com

Picky Cat on the KBoards Yellow Pages

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 10:12:22 am »
    I try to offer affordable editing and proofreading options for authors. Check out my KB resource page and let me know if you have any questions about anything. Grammarly and PWA are nice but it doesn't hurt to at least have a proofread from human eyes to catch anything that might have slipped by.

Thank you! Will do! And thank you for responding.

Offline NYEnglishman

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 02:52:42 am »
    Hi Karen!  Congratulations on the book - from another nervous newbie.  You also come from my fave US city, I remember happy childhood times with my uncle in Point Loma.

Can I just say - this isn't my genre, but I read your look inside and you write very well, the book flows.

Good luck with it and the next one.

Offline Karen Monroe

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 11:17:29 am »
    Hi Karen!  Congratulations on the book - from another nervous newbie.  You also come from my fave US city, I remember happy childhood times with my uncle in Point Loma.

Can I just say - this isn't my genre, but I read your look inside and you write very well, the book flows.

Good luck with it and the next one.

Point Loma is beautiful. When I was active duty I worked at the sub base. It was the most beautiful base. You could eat lunch on a cliff that overlooked the ocean. Plus, they have some great seafood restaurants.

Thank you for your kind words. I did my very best. Im halfway done with the other book. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

Offline BaileyKelly

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 07:42:25 am »
    This is very cool, congratulations, happy for you, I like talented people. I know how difficult all this is to do, but sometimes you can, but laziness, little time or desire. If we talk about a smaller volume of work, then it's easier here, go to https://edusson.com/write-my-lab-report get acquainted with the offers and functionality of this site, an overview of the best performers in writing various works, it will be especially interesting and useful for university or college assignments, try it now and save.
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:43:37 pm by BaileyKelly »

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 09:18:22 am »
    NOOB author, no marketing and $335.00 on one book in a month?
    WHOA. That's impressive. I'm serious. My wife & I do about 100K/year at this, and have been at it for seven years. The market it tremendously competitive right now.

OHHHKAAAY rookie LOL a little advice:
    Start a mailing list immediately. Put the link in your book (I'd suggest at the front as well as the back. I suggest MailerLite; Mailchimp used to be wonderful, but they're going after bigger spenders than Indie authors.

Other than that single peice of advice, keep writing. Your readers are going to want to know what the heck is going to happen w/ Cassie & Griff. Your covers are servicable-- not great, but it doesn't suck. And as far as editing goes, yes its important, but for now, grab one or two (or 3?) of those people who reviewed Book 1 and ask them to proof/beta for you. You can pick up pro's down the road.

Indie writing can change your frikkin' life, Karen. (USN or USMC?) You'd be amazed at how many people started out on this board who were driving a truck or pushing a cab and now life a wonderful life.

Keep dreaming, but girl- WRITE. 1-2K /day is fine if you can maintain that 5 days a week. That's a new book every 3 months at least.
    Congratulations.

Offline Marco de Hoogh

• Netherlands
    • Canadian author seeking literary prowess!
      • View Profile
      • Amazon Author Page
    « Reply #24 on: October 09, 2020, 11:44:40 am »
    Welcome, Karen.
    From one rookie to another  :D
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Feel free to take or leave my advice, as I am by no means raking it in LOL

1) Having used one, I do recommend an editor. I learned a lot from her, and feel a lot better about my final product.
    2) Look into facebook and amazon ads if you are looking for sales/exposure.
    3) Above all else, keep writing. But make sure that you find the product worthy!

I understand that some people make a living at this, but most writers do not. Yours truly included  :) But I'm OK with that. So my final piece of advice is don't lose sight of why you write in the first place.

All the best of luck to you!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement