Author Topic: Updating old Voyage  (Read 560 times)  

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis2 & 3 & Paperwhite owner
    • View Profile
Updating old Voyage
« on: September 22, 2020, 06:24:51 am »
I just bought a brand new Voyage from EBay.  I have a Voyage and wanted a backup in case mine stopped working.  It was still sealed in the box.  I was worried about the battery but it seems to be working fine.  I have had it for about a week.  It is way behind on updates.  It is still set on firmware version 5.6.2.1.  Do you
think it will automatically update or will it need manual update?  I looked on the manual update site and the only one I could find is the latest one.

I was hoping it would update on its own as my laptop is not working and I have been using my IPad Pro for everything I would normally use my laptop for.  I couldnt figure out how to do the update on my IPad, if thats even possible.  Help please.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    Re: Updating old Voyage
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:06:55 am »
    I think it will probably get the latest automatic update. I think the updates contain ALL the previous updates as well. I tend to manually update my Kindles because I hate waiting. :) (But if your laptop is working correctly, there's not much else you can do.)

Hmmmmm... is your laptop not working at all? I think you could download the update file via your iPad but I don't know how you'd get the update moved over to your Kindle. Then you could email it to yourself. Go to the library with your Kindle and the cable and use the library's computer to log into your email. Hook up the Kindle to the computer. From your email, you can download the file directly to your Kindle (so you aren't saving it on the library's computer at all). Then restart your Kindle.

^There could be an easier way, but that's what my brain was thinking. OH!! DUH!! You could hook your Kindle up to the library's computer and download the update file directly to your Kindle. Restart the Kindle. (I was so focused on how you could use your iPad...) :D

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:22:09 am »
    I think it will probably get the latest automatic update. I think the updates contain ALL the previous updates as well. I tend to manually update my Kindles because I hate waiting. :) (But if your laptop is working correctly, there's not much else you can do.)
    ^There could be an easier way, but that's what my brain was thinking. OH!! DUH!! You could hook your Kindle up to the library's computer and download the update file directly to your Kindle. Restart the Kindle. (I was so focused on how you could use your iPad...) :D

Thanks.  I feel stupid but its been over a year since I have used my laptop.  I just had to figure out how to find the kindle drive in the new edge browser.  The kindle is updating now.  Thanks for the help.

It worked!  Up to date!

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 08:23:59 am »
    Yay!!! Yeah, I hate having to try to remember how to do something that I haven't done in awhile. :) I make a lot of virtual post-it notes in Outlook for work. A lot.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:25:38 am »
    Yay for a new Kindle! :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 06:29:11 pm »
    I just bought a brand new Voyage from EBay.  I have a Voyage and wanted a backup in case mine stopped working.  It was still sealed in the box.  I was worried about the battery but it seems to be working fine.  I have had it for about a week.  It is way behind on updates.  It is still set on firmware version 5.6.2.1.  Do you
    think it will automatically update or will it need manual update?  I looked on the manual update site and the only one I could find is the latest one.

I read this, and liking my Voyage so well, decided to do this also and got a NIB Voyage in today.  No problem updating the firmware, that just took a few minutes, but getting it registered to my account was another story. I went through two techs on chat,  the last one wanted me to change my password which was just changed last week .
    I asked if she could manually register it on her end and got a negative answer there. Then she wanted me to restart my router, which I reluctantly did and promptly lost the chat session which was good.  I got a message to have Amazon call me, and after explaining to the first person what I was trying to do, with a little difficulty, I think and Asian trying to understand American, she connected me with a nice young man from S.Africa.  He did not understand why it was giving the internal error message.  I first asked him to listen to what all I had done, and he said he would have tried all of those steps, and I confirmed that I had tried them several times.  He then asked for the serial number of the Voyage and proceeded to register it there, after the second tech said it could not be done.  I now have two functioning Voyages, and will put this new one back and recharge ever 3-4 weeks to keep battery good(I hope)

I was hoping it would update on its own as my laptop is not working and I have been using my IPad Pro for everything I would normally use my laptop for.  I couldnt figure out how to do the update on my IPad, if thats even possible.  Help please.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 04:57:16 am »
    Congratulations on the new Voyage.  Ive decided this is my favorite ereader.  I do enjoy the new Oasis with the warm light.  I usually switch to the Oasis at night and read exclusively on the Voyage during the day.  I wish Amazon would come out with a new Voyage with the warm light.

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 07:19:18 am »
    Yay!!! Yeah, I hate having to try to remember how to do something that I haven't done in awhile. :) I make a lot of virtual post-it notes in Outlook for work. A lot.

I don't do virtual -- I plaster my mirror & log-book with post-its, plus maybe some on the top of my to-do-paperwork on my desk, with sticky-notes.

There's a certain satisfaction in physically crumpling up & trashing an actual piece of paper -- and they're a lot harder to ignore even if I move them around while they're 'pending', compared to something on a computer screen. :-)

I do put important things on my calendar too, which then nags me from my phone & stares at me from my paper-desk-calendar.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:12:13 am »
    When I worked at our local office, I did use paper post-its. Working from home is a whole other experience. I'm not always working in our home office... sometimes in the living room, etc. However, I've found that my cat likes paper post-its as much as I do. :O So.. virtual it is. Although if it's something that is kind of temporary, I jot it in a little notebook. I do like that satisfaction of ripping the page out, crumpling it, and tossing on the floor for the cat. ;) (And then throwing it away when she's done playing.)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement