Author Topic: Bizarro Fiction  (Read 461 times)  

Offline CatParker

• View Profile
Bizarro Fiction
« on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:52 pm »
Are there any fans of bizarro fiction here? And are there any bizarro writers self publishing?

Thank you x

Cozy Cat Parker | Newsletter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline alawston

• London
    • London-based writer and actor
      • View Profile
      • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
    Re: Bizarro Fiction
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 01:42:21 am »
    I've had the odd look at it, and I enjoy some bizarro fiction, but I find the standard is so wildly variable that I need a really solid recommendation on a book/author before I bother with it these days.

In some ways, bizarro was at the forefront of self-publishing when KDP first came along - the books that traditional publishers were clearly never going to publish in a million years. I'm sure they're still out there, but it's a niche audience at the end of the day. For the half hour or so that I looked at it seriously, it seemed the best way to go was with paperbacks via some of the dedicated small presses who've built up a loyal readership over the years.

I have a writer friend who's currently got a story in an indie bizarro charity anthology, so we were chatting about the genre recently. I'm not sure it's sold that well.

Translator, actor, publishing professional
    Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline CatParker

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:30:40 am »
    It's a shame that it never really took off a self-published genre, and never got a category of its own on Amazon etc.

I agree the small presses are where the best of it resides, particularly with Eraserhead Press and its imprints.

I think it still has huge potential as a genre, but maybe the demographic on kindle is just too weighted towards other things?

I think writers like D.M. Guay would fit into a kindle category for bizarro fiction if there was one.

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:12 am »
    Are there any fans of bizarro fiction here? And are there any bizarro writers self publishing?

Thank you x

isn't carlton mellick III  self-pubbed? best covers in the biz...

andersen prunty is still around

i like more traditional horror but bizarro has the best art for sure, for me something i buy in paperback not in ebook

Offline CatParker

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:23:47 pm »
    isn't carlton mellick III  self-pubbed?

I think Carlton has always been published by Eraserhead Press, rather than self-published. His newest book is still with Eraserhead.

It's interesting to know you prefer it in paperback. Could that be why it's never taken off on kindle perhaps?
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:27:15 pm by CatParker »

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »
    don't know but i feel like with bizarro the packaging/art is an important part of the book & thus i'd rather have a physical book i can display than an ebook

Offline alawston

• London
    • London-based writer and actor
      • View Profile
      • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
    « Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 03:24:51 am »
    I think the main reason it's never taken off is that not many people read it, and the people that do read it, know where to find it. Bizarro is inherently subversive and genre-defying, so the whole concept runs counter to the increasing orthodoxy on How To Sell Indie Books. Besides, if there was a category for it on Amazon, the reverse harem shifter crew would stuff it within hours (they might almost have a point, tales of sweaty librarians seducing multiple badger shifters who are also reclusive tech billionaires are more bizarro than most actual bizarro I've read).

It's a good point about the art/packaging. Ebook bizarro would become... just a slightly weird PDF.

Translator, actor, publishing professional
    Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline CatParker

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 05:00:18 am »
    I think the main reason it's never taken off is that not many people read it. Besides, if there was a category for it on Amazon, the reverse harem shifter crew would stuff it within hours.

Both of these points would have seemed to be true about many niche genres like LITRPG before they were
    given their own kindle category and thrived. The points sound anecdotal to me, rather than based on any evidence.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement