Author Topic: Anyone run into Changing mobile # 2 step process to access account settings?  (Read 430 times)  

Offline anotherpage

• View Profile
For years i used to be able to login to my KDP and go to account settings and view my name, address, bank details, and tax details without it asking for any other passwords.

Then last year it asked me to give it a mobile number so i did.

But i have since changed mobile service and no longer have access to that.

So....

Now when i login to KDP and click account settings it wants to send me a OTP ( one time password ) to that old mobile phone number.

How do you change that mobile number as the one it has is my old one?

I phoned KDP and they said they don't deal with it and that you have to do it inside you amazon.com account under security and login so i go there and click EDIT next to 2 step which incidently isn't turned on and i find the mobile number but when i click change or remove or add new phone number it wants to send the code to my old mobile that I gave it last year but am no longer with that service anymore.

How can i change or remove the old and replace it with the new if it wants to send to the old one lol. Makes no sense.

Anyone else run into this?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:04:53 pm by anotherpage »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online unkownwriter

• View Profile
    As I said in your other thread, if the contact information is no longer valid, you are in trouble. Calling Amazon won't help you. You can try using the Contact Us link on the KDP community pages. If you don't have an account there, sign up for one using your info from the KDP account (same email they have).

It's going to be really hard to get this fixed. There have been folks working for months to get it straightened out. They also didn't update contact info before it became obsolete. You'd think Amazon would have a quick response for this, but they seem to not understand how many people have gotten caught out by the OTP thing.

Offline anotherpage

• View Profile
    As I said in your other thread, if the contact information is no longer valid, you are in trouble. Calling Amazon won't help you. You can try using the Contact Us link on the KDP community pages. If you don't have an account there, sign up for one using your info from the KDP account (same email they have).

It's going to be really hard to get this fixed. There have been folks working for months to get it straightened out. They also didn't update contact info before it became obsolete. You'd think Amazon would have a quick response for this, but they seem to not understand how many people have gotten caught out by the OTP thing.

My contact info is all correct, the only thing that is no longer available is my mobile.

I noticed over at the KDP community page a couple of other people have ran into this, where they changed their mobile number and now are stuck in this loop of where they cant change, remove or add a new mobile because the OTP wants to be sent to the old number to allow a person to change, remove or add lol. Stupid system.

Anyway, looks like i will have to contact them and ask for their senior help as at some point Im going to need to be able to get into my account settings.

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
    • I've got an idea!
      • View Profile
      • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
     This is why when I set up OTP I chose to use an OTP emulator app. I have it on ipod, and just open it up and give amazon the code. I have to redo it every time I clean my cookies, which I do frequently. It's annoying, but phone numbers change so often. I never give my phone number if there's another option.

Hope the OP is able to talk to someone who can fix this for them! *crossing fingers and toes*
    The Disabled Frog - Not Your Average Self Help Book
    https://www.amazon.com/Disabled-Frog-Stories-Productivity-Motivational-ebook/dp/B07LC4534L
    The Christmas Funeral - Not Your Mother's Christmas Story!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCH28BN

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    Yep. It happened to me. I called them about four times and finally got someone who actually understood what the problem was instead of giving me nonsense replies. 

In the end, I had to upload a scan of photo id then they turned the two step verification off on my account temporarily.

Online unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Well, the phone number is contact info. And not it's not valid, so...

When this OTP stuff started, I was able to have them contact me via email. I used my old one, the original first email address I ever got, and plan to never close. It's gone through acquisition through three or four companies, and still going strong after more than twenty years. If the account was ever going to close, I'd make sure to get another one and set it up with Amazon before it was gone.

It's a messy situation, and all you can do is keep trying to get someone who can get into your account and reset everything. It's going to likely be someone other than the usual customer service folks, who won't have that access.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement