Author Topic: How to get your choice of font into Kindle viewer  (Read 261 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
How to get your choice of font into Kindle viewer
« on: September 23, 2020, 12:32:39 am »
I usually just use a basic font, but one of my series uses an art deco font for chapter numbers. However, when I saw a copy on the Kindle viewer it had been returned to whatever basic font they use. Thing is, I'm currently reading a Kindle novel which clearly has special fonts as chapter headers - so what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks to all :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    Re: How to get your choice of font into Kindle viewer
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 06:46:34 am »
    You will have to embed the font file into the EPUB, and modify the EPUBs CSS to use that font file for the chapter heads. Note that you will need an appropriate license for that font file.

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 10:16:02 pm »
    You will have to embed the font file into the EPUB, and modify the EPUBs CSS to use that font file for the chapter heads. Note that you will need an appropriate license for that font file.

Thanks so much for this reply - I'll have a go at this when it's time to publish :)

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:35:53 am »
    Be aware that ebook font licenses are usually quite a bit more expensive than their desktop counterparts. You may want to consider making the chapter heads images instead, so you don't need the license, and you don't have to worry about embedding the font (and KDP perhaps stripping it out anyway).

Offline WRPursche

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:35 am »
    An alternative -- and easier -- way is to use an image (a png or jpg) as the title/number etc. It gets inserted the same way any other image in the book is put in. That's how most books are done where you see 'fancy' titles.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement