Author Topic: KDP Select Advice  (Read 572 times)  

Offline Shawn86

• View Profile
KDP Select Advice
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:04:47 am »
Hi Guys,

I just need some advice in regards to KDP Select. I notice it says that you will "Reach more readers at no cost." I just want to understand what is meant by this? Do they promote a book on the website more if enrolled? Or is this said because we can use the Kindle Countdown Deal and Free Book Promotion tools?

Also, Just a general question. I'm due to make my first release shortly. Releasing a debut novel as a new author, would going wide be pointless? I'm going to do promotion but it will be low budget and I'll try and do a lot of free social media tactics. So, is it easier to just stick with one platform (Amazon) rather than trying to promote the book for numerous different platforms? Also, does anyone here get good sales on platforms other than Amazon without having to heavily promote on the site? (Apple Books/Barnes & Noble etc.)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Shane Lochlann Black

• Lexicon Hollow
    • Write something funny by 4PM or you're fired.
      • View Profile
      • The Committee to Ban Shane Lochlann Black
    Re: KDP Select Advice
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:34:02 am »
    Forget marketing until you have three books. Start a mailing list. Learn how to use Facebook ads. Get your first subscriber by Friday. Set a daily word count and hit it every time you see sunlight. Go forth and profit my son.  Make Shane proud. 

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 01:47:33 pm »
    Hi Guys,

I just need some advice in regards to KDP Select. I notice it says that you will "Reach more readers at no cost." I just want to understand what is meant by this? Do they promote a book on the website more if enrolled? Or is this said because we can use the Kindle Countdown Deal and Free Book Promotion tools?

Also, Just a general question. I'm due to make my first release shortly. Releasing a debut novel as a new author, would going wide be pointless? I'm going to do promotion but it will be low budget and I'll try and do a lot of free social media tactics. So, is it easier to just stick with one platform (Amazon) rather than trying to promote the book for numerous different platforms? Also, does anyone here get good sales on platforms other than Amazon without having to heavily promote on the site? (Apple Books/Barnes & Noble etc.)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

It's basically because you can use the KCD and free days to promote your book. Also, because borrows can help to buoy a book up in the rankings.

It would probably be better to go Select for the first couple of books. It will give you the experience of releasing and promoting on one website first, without having to worry about doing it on each separate site. Plus, page reads can be a nice way to make some extra money.

Do start a mailing list as early as you can. I highly recommend Newsletter Ninja by Tammi Labrecque (disclaimer: she's a friend, and I made the cover, but it's still a good book. It's recommended by David Gaughran)

Online Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:21:31 pm »
    It's a very individual decision but, personally, I'd start out in Select for 3 months and then see how you feel after that. It'll give you a chance to get used to the process and the promoting and decide if you're up for more.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 06:48:42 pm »
    By "reach more readers" they're talking about KU subscribers who don't often buy a book, but borrow instead. For every book sold while in Select, you can expect, n average, three borrows. Borrows pay by the number of pages read and an average 70K word book will pay about $1.40 for a full read. Priced at $2.99, it will earn about $2 for a single sale. But a sale and a borrow count exactly the same toward rank.

As far as advertising and marketing, don't waste your time and money. It just won't work until you have at least two, preferably three books published in a series. Few ever take this advice, though. And many of them will never write a second book. Nothing sells a first book as well as a second book. Put your time and energy into that instead.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Shawn86

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 01:52:14 am »
    Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. That's helped a lot, much appreciated.

Offline Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
    • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 11:33:17 am »
    Start with one platform and get all the kinks out. use that time to go kdp select for the three months and learn stuff doing it, also do the free days. That alone (promote that to a few sites, search the forum on that) will occupy you for that time.

Set up your mailing list and other assets while you do. Think about repeating it better in the next quarter. AFter that, decide if you want to try the other platforms - you cannot be in select if you are wide. Those platforms will also take you time to setup etc.
    so: use the try and see what comes out of if.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement