Author Topic: Can I release PG rated versions of my already published trilogy?  (Read 414 times)  

Offline KathyQuinn

• View Profile
Can I release PG rated versions of my already published trilogy?
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:46:58 am »
Hello fellow Kboarders,
I don't post much, I mainly lurk, but I could really use some answers and advice regarding my next project.

I currently have a soon-to-be-complete thriller trilogy (the third book will be released in November). Each of the three books has at least two very graphically gruesome murder scenes. I've gotten good read-through, and pre-orders for the third, so I feel the story and writing is good, but I know that the descriptive violence is putting many readers off. The series opens with a prologue describing in detail a mutilation/murder scene. It's right there in the Look Inside because I don't want to surprise anyone with how graphic some of the scenes are. I want them to know right off the bat what they're getting into if they buy it. But, again, I'm sure I'm losing a lot of sales because of it. I probably shouldn't have tried to blend Suspense, with some Romance, with Saw-level Horror. That was my inexperience in thinking that there were millions of readers out there just like me!! Not.

Enough of my friends and beta readers have told me that they love 95% of the story...it's just those specific scenes that turn them off and if they weren't so committed to reading it (because they are my friend or beta) then they wouldn't have even read past the gruesome prologue. The title is also not very marketable and my AMS ads keep getting rejected because of the pool of blood on the cover (more rookie mistakes). Therefore, I'd love the chance to do it all over again, but still have the original versions available for those readers that are like me and do like the gruesome stuff.

This made me think of possibly doing a PG-rated, less-graphic version. I would rewrite those scenes to be less descriptive and maybe have some of it happen off-screen. It would still be the same story, just "edited for content." So my questions are:

1. Can I publish new editions of these books under a different title and new ISBN while still keeping the originals up?
2. Do I need to contact Amazon about it?
3. Would Amazon reject it because the content would show up as being published before?
4. Would Amazon think I'm trying to dupe readers and double-dip by having them buy the same book twice?
5. How would you ensure buyers of the first series don't mistakenly buy the second thinking it's a new series? Would a note in the beginning of the description be enough? Maybe another note at the beginning of the Look Inside portion?

Any insight or advice you might have for me would be greatly appreciated.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
      • View Profile
    Re: Can I release PG rated versions of my already published trilogy?
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:57:40 am »
    I don't have answers for you. Just to say I've considered this with some of my steamier Romances. I've contemplated even taking up another pen name (attached to the original name) and reworking the books somewhat. But I am curious as to what Amazon would think of the practice.

As a reader, I do like the idea of having the option to choose.

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
      • Gerald Hansen's website
    « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:57:57 am »
    Yes, it's perfectly fine! I've done it! (Not many people buy them though; they seem to prefer the original versions.) You don't need to contact Amazon; they are treated as different books. Or at least...Amazon hasn't said anything to me about it yet, and they've been up for two years or so...

What I did was add a 'sticker' on the cover that says PG Version (like the 'Explicit Lyrics' stickers that used to be on CDs, etc), and I have a separate series page called (Series Name) PG Versions.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:01:14 am by jez1982 »

Gerald Hansen | Website | Facebook

Offline KathyQuinn

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:36 am »

What I did was add a 'sticker' on the cover that says PG Version (like the 'Explicit Lyrics' stickers that used to be on CDs, etc), and I have a separate series page called (Series Name) PG Versions.

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea with the sticker. Were your PG versions under different titles or the same? I wonder if I should have a previously published as... line in there somewhere.

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:39:48 am »
    I think if you keep the covers the same (and just add the sticker) it's not necessary to say 'previously published...' When I did it, I was thinking of 'clean' versions of songs vs. 'explicit' versions, and I think the title alone will let people know it's the same book, but a different version. Only 5 % of your books will be different, right? So I think the same cover with the sticker would be fine. Oh! And the titles of all my PG versions are the same title PLUS PG Version. So it's obvious it's the same book to readers who've already read the originals.

Here's the series page of my PG versions so you can see what I mean. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XC75JNR
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:44:11 am by jez1982 »

Offline KathyQuinn

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39:08 am »
    I want to change the covers and titles of the new versions. The cover has blood on it and AMS keeps rejecting my ads because of it. And the titles kinda suck. I dont even remember why I was so attached to that first title back five years ago when I wrote the first book. I want to do a complete to-market overhaul. But still keep the originals up since there does seem to be a decent amount of people that like the gruesomeness.

I was just worried about Amazon rejecting it because it would appear to be the same books but hidden beneath new covers and titles. Im not trying to trick anyone, I just want both versions so people have the options. The originals will always be my favorites, but not for everyone. 

Heres the link if you want to see what I mean.
    https://www.amazon.com/Compliments-Chef-Alex-Crow-ebook/dp/B01N4C5EUU

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:20:11 am »
    Ah, yes, now I understand. And I think it's a very good idea, though, you're right. Amazon might wonder, as might readers. Especially with different titles. You can always call the KDP helpline and they should be able to tell you if it's possible...!

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:55 pm »
    Yes, it's perfectly fine! I've done it! (Not many people buy them though; they seem to prefer the original versions.) You don't need to contact Amazon; they are treated as different books. Or at least...Amazon hasn't said anything to me about it yet, and they've been up for two years or so...

I'm going to disagree here. It's not perfectly fine - Amazon frowns on having two very similar versions of the same story. They refer to it as poor customer experience, and specifically, insufficiently differentiated content.

1. Can I publish new editions of these books under a different title and new ISBN while still keeping the originals up?
    2. Do I need to contact Amazon about it?
    3. Would Amazon reject it because the content would show up as being published before?
    4. Would Amazon think I'm trying to dupe readers and double-dip by having them buy the same book twice?
    5. How would you ensure buyers of the first series don't mistakenly buy the second thinking it's a new series? Would a note in the beginning of the description be enough? Maybe another note at the beginning of the Look Inside portion?

1. I suspect you would be much better off picking one version and sticking with it.
    2. Just take the one set down and put the new set up.
    3. You might be asked for confirmation that you own the rights to the books.
    4. That would be one argument against doing it.
    5. You can't with absolute certainty. People miss warnings all the time.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:40:15 pm by ShayneRutherford »

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 03:05:02 am »
    Yeah, Amazon is going to say no. Minor changes published as a new book is going to cause all sorts of problems, to the point of your books being blocked. New titles, same titles, won't matter. People think of doing this all the time with explicit sex in books, and sometimes they get away with it, sometimes not. Isn't work risking your account over.

Asking Amazon will get you any kind of answer. Remember that you're dealing with low-level "customer service" type folks, who likely won't get what you're inquiring about. You could ask ten people, and get ten different responses, none of which will help you when Amazon sends you a nasty email about publishing basically the same book twice.

I would simply write some books that are less graphic and move on. Don't waste time rewriting these. People like what they like. If you want a different market, write different books, don't spend time reworking books that seem to be fine for those who like that level of violence.

Offline jez1982

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 07:20:43 am »
    Hmm...now I wonder if I should take down my PG versions...?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement