Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 31102 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2020, 09:06:31 am »
Did the 2 of you keep reading these?  I really have liked them, but have to say she continually, in every book, uses the phrase about someone getting "their just desserts" only it's always "just deserts". It throws me every time. Is there ever case where desert instead of dessert is correct??

I know we had a discussion one time about "to the manner/manor born" and both were correct, but I can't get past this one as anything but a consistently wrong spelling error.  ::)

I've just started the 3rd one and am really enjoying the series.  I've never thought of the deserts vs. desserts so I Googled it and you are correct, of course.  How interesting that the phrase predates "desserts!"  So, now I can be bothered by it as well.   :o

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #376 on: October 08, 2020, 09:32:25 am »
    Anyone here read the Inspector Sam Blackstone mysteries?  They're set in the late Victorian era, mostly in London, but in other parts of the world too and pretty good.

It's a ten book series and I've read the first six and enjoyed them. Then I went to get #7. Up to now they've been available in KU, but I've just discovered that the final four in the series have been released by a different publisher and not only are they not in KU, but the purchase price is more than three times the price of the earlier books.  :o >:(

I'm really frustrated (actually more than frustrated but KB won't let me use that word!). I want to read the rest of the series but I somehow feel more cheated by this than if I'd had to buy them from the start. At least then I could have made the decision not to begin and not get invested. /rant

I'm so sorry to read about your situation; frustrating indeed!  We can only hope that the change in publisher/rise in prices means that the author is getting paid more for her work.  I looked Sally Spencer up on OverDrive and only the last installment in that series is available and of course that doesn't help you at all.  Meanwhile I appreciate the recommendation and intend to check out your Inspector Blackstone.  Thank you! 

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #377 on: October 08, 2020, 09:43:58 am »
    Anyone here read the Inspector Sam Blackstone mysteries?  They're set in the late Victorian era, mostly in London, but in other parts of the world too and pretty good.

Apparently I purchased the first one almost 5 years ago .... still in the TBR queue. ::)

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #378 on: October 08, 2020, 09:44:59 am »
    And now for my 3rd post in a row, which is a record for me, I've just notice new installments for two series I am reading: Lady Sherlock #5, Murder on Cold Street by Sherry Thomas and Verity Kent #4, A Pretty Deceit by Anna Lee Huber.  Apologies: linkmaker could not find them but they are available on my OverDrive and hopefully yours, as well, since they are quite pricey. 

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #379 on: October 08, 2020, 09:45:57 am »
    Apparently I purchased the first one almost 5 years ago .... still in the TBR queue. ::)

You have some catching up to do!!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #380 on: October 08, 2020, 09:50:44 am »

It's a ten book series and I've read the first six and enjoyed them. Then I went to get #7. Up to now they've been available in KU, but I've just discovered that the final four in the series have been released by a different publisher and not only are they not in KU, but the purchase price is more than three times the price of the earlier books.  :o >:(

I'm really frustrated (actually more than frustrated but KB won't let me use that word!). I want to read the rest of the series but I somehow feel more cheated by this than if I'd had to buy them from the start. At least then I could have made the decision not to begin and not get invested. /rant
    I hate that. Like you said, if you know ahead of time, its different than when you get to the next and then wham.
    I've not read that series. Are they not in library at all either? I'll have to check.

eta: Never mind. It says the new ones starting at #7 are published by "Severn House" never heard of them and are not in libraries. Not gonna pay that much so probably won't start the series for the reason you are not peeved off. I mean I never consider KU free, I pay for it. But a series I much prefer to either be all in, or at least affordable if some are not. $8.79 for each bites. They are pretty short at around 200 pages for the 10th and it says published 2013. So yeah, nope.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #381 on: October 08, 2020, 09:52:32 am »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #382 on: October 08, 2020, 10:43:17 am »
    I've just started the 3rd one and am really enjoying the series.  I've never thought of the deserts vs. desserts so I Googled it and you are correct, of course.  How interesting that the phrase predates "desserts!"  So, now I can be bothered by it as well.   :o

On the bright side, the last book currently, #6, The Fateful Marriage, is IMHO, the best story so far! Hope we don't have to  wait too long for #7.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #383 on: October 09, 2020, 09:46:18 am »

Yeah, I find that happens a lot. Way back in the mists of time, when I first got a Kindle and the unread books started to stack up, I promised myself I would read them in loosely the order I bought them. That lasted .... oh, about five minutes I think.  :-[
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #384 on: October 09, 2020, 11:22:25 am »
    Yeah, I find that happens a lot. Way back in the mists of time, when I first got a Kindle and the unread books started to stack up, I promised myself I would read them in loosely the order I bought them. That lasted .... oh, about five minutes I think.  :-[

;D

Me, too.

I find I jump around but am probably MORE likely to choose a more recent acquisition than an older one. Oh well! I read what I like and like what I read (or I don't read it.) :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Mary Pagones

• View Profile
    « Reply #385 on: October 13, 2020, 12:14:48 pm »
    I am guessing this was done by the publisher for the american audience. I can imagine that being annoying to you. Pavement doesn't really describe a sidewalk in american english. Its more generic for paved things, not just sidewalks. So maybe they were trying to keep confusion at bay. I actually wouldn't mind it being in english instead of american. There are books I read that are written by authors from across the pond and if there is something I am not familiar with, I look it up. I do it all the time. So next time I read it I know.

I am probably too inside the St. Cyr stories to recall really what words were americanized.

I am curious though if that was done originally by the author, or changed by the editor/publisher later.

The St. Cyr series is on my TBR list!

As an American who has lived in the UK, I have a number of editions from both the US and UK of various books, and sometimes there are deliberate anachronistic changes of wording for an American audience (it's rarely done in reverse for the smaller UK/Commonwealth market). I admit that irritates me, as if Americans somehow can't cope. I always feel badly for self-published British authors who are harangued for typos in their works, when they're simply using UK spellings.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #386 on: November 03, 2020, 06:12:15 am »
    And now for my 3rd post in a row, which is a record for me, I've just notice new installments for two series I am reading: Lady Sherlock #5, Murder on Cold Street by Sherry Thomas and Verity Kent #4, A Pretty Deceit by Anna Lee Huber.  Apologies: linkmaker could not find them but they are available on my OverDrive and hopefully yours, as well, since they are quite pricey. 

I had an email from Amazon this morning for $5 off select books from my wish list. When I checked, there were only 2 books which qualified. One was something DH had added, the other was the latest Lady Sherlock #5 you mentioned. Guess which one is now happily residing on my Kindle for only $6.99!  ;D ;)

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #387 on: November 03, 2020, 07:03:18 am »
    I confess I didn't read all 8342 current posts so I may be way off base or have missed something. Anyway, I like a good mystery and I like history. I prefer WWII era most, then WWI era, then late 1800's and other first 2/3's 1900's and last any other period. I'll gradually make my way through all the posts and see what jewels and nuggets I find.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #388 on: Yesterday at 07:04:50 am »
    The first Sebastian St Cyr book What Angels Fear is $1.99 at posting.  Most of you probably already know this:  Beware - it's easy to get addicted to this series and it's a long one, typically with higher prices.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #389 on: Yesterday at 09:18:00 am »
    The first Sebastian St Cyr book What Angels Fear is $1.99 at posting.  Most of you probably already know this:  Beware - it's easy to get addicted to this series and it's a long one, typically with higher prices.

Yes! Start it at your own peril! :D

That said, all the books are worth it, even at higher prices. And, in the US at least, may be available via your local library.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 09:53:54 am »

I got an email saying one of C.S. Harris' books was on offer and I went looking eagerly hoping for it to be one of the ones I don't yet have, only to discover it was book 1.  :'(

My next book to read is #7 which I already have but I'm on the lookout for price drops for 8 or 9 or anything after 13. I have bought some of them at full price as I didn't want to wait, but really I need to exercise patience (not my strongest virtue!).
    Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement