Author Topic: 20 Books to 50K Facebook Group...Has anyone not got accepted?  (Read 3699 times)  

Offline Bite the Dusty

• I was being patient. But it took too long.
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Books to 50K Facebook Group...Has anyone not got accepted?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 04:05:58 pm »
I'm not in 20K but really, is it so surprising that if your profile and/or timeline doesn't say anything about you, not even your books, or link to your website, that people don't want to engage? Methinks not.

My generation isn't on facebook. If you're just getting started, it sucks that the info is behind a wall, but that's how it goes. I'll figure it out the best I can with kboards, Chris Fox's books, and YouTube channels.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 04:54:45 pm »
    So yeah, sounds like marketing advice.  20 books in a year... to me that sounds like a more-than-full-time job.  I wonder if quality suffers at that rate.

(Just personal thoughts... YMMV.)

he uses "collaborators" (ghostwriters too naive to get paid upfront)

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 04:59:31 pm »
    My generation isn't on facebook. If you're just getting started, it sucks that the info is behind a wall, but that's how it goes. I'll figure it out the best I can with kboards, Chris Fox's books, and YouTube channels.

you'll be fine

there were no mystical secrets shared & some advice (such as the suggestion to put out a MVP) that is downright harmful now that self publishing is a couple, three years older

mvp = minimal viable product

yeah

don't do that

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #28 on: October 10, 2020, 02:02:49 am »
    Here is a thing that I do and that doesn't lead to any harm:

How to be on Facebook when you don't want to be on Facebook, but not be a faceless anonybot:

Open an account. Make it an author-centred account only. Fill out your author website, add an author pic. Maybe add a header image that features your books. Pin a post to the top of your profile how people can contact you if they're readers. Just send them to another website. that stops the spambots.

Now ignore your timeline.

Use your profile to join any of the plethora of excellent author communities on Facebook.

Other than your author name, your books and your website, you don't have to share anything. Since you're ignoring your timeline, you won't see anything. No ads, no nothing. You have no "friends" so you won't see any random person's blathering either. You've set up your profile purely to be in these groups. You ignore all the rest.

The groups are worth it. I never visit my timeline. I never see any ads. I ignore my messages, I've deleted Facebook Messenger off my phone. My RL family and friends are Whatsapp people. FB is purely for author-to-author stuff.

Offline Dayseye

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 10, 2020, 02:44:03 am »

How to be on Facebook when you don't want to be on Facebook, but not be a faceless anonybot:

Open an account. Make it an author-centred account only. Fill out your author website, add an author pic. Maybe add a header image that features your books. Pin a post to the top of your profile how people can contact you if they're readers. Just send them to another website. that stops the spambots.

Use your profile to join any of the plethora of excellent author communities on Facebook.

Other than your author name, your books and your website, you don't have to share anything. Since you're ignoring your timeline, you won't see anything. No ads, no nothing. You have no "friends" so you won't see any random person's blathering either. You've set up your profile purely to be in these groups. You ignore all the rest.

The groups are worth it. I never visit my timeline. I never see any ads. I ignore my messages, I've deleted Facebook Messenger off my phone. My RL family and friends are Whatsapp people. FB is purely for author-to-author stuff.

Cheers for this advice, Patty. It's really helpful.

Offline nail file

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 04:02:00 am »
    there were no mystical secrets shared & some advice (such as the suggestion to put out a MVP) that is downright harmful now that self publishing is a couple, three years older

To be fair, even Michael has admitted that it worked for him when he was first starting out several years ago and that he wouldn't recommend it now.

However, I believe he was a proponent of writing the first 3k of a book idea and getting readers to read it and give it a grade of 1-3, where 1 is 'yes, give me more' and 3 is 'eh, I'll pass on this' to test the waters of viability for the book.

Offline Bite the Dusty

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 11:38:30 am »

This I can do, I'm just focusing on the writing right now. I still need to take a professional author photo, buy covers, get edited and hit the publish button, so if there was info that would help me avoid mistakes there, I wanted them, but like I said, that's how it goes and there's a lot (your posts, for instance) out in the open to help me until I'm at that point. I'm appreciative for that.

Patty, do you have any suggestions for other groups for people like me for when I've taken the steps you mentioned and have built up my profile?

I'm starting out.
    I've written 4 books, a first book in high school that will never see the light or day and a three book series in college that people I trust have pointed out glaring problems with, so they're trunked for now.
    I've lightly outlined a open ended series, with three rough outlines and started writing the first last week.
    The new books are mysteries.
    I'm not a fast writer (though I hope outlines may help here, we'll see) and I have a day job.
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:13:17 pm by Bite the Dusty »

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 03:12:55 pm »
    What groups you join will depend on what you write and also, frankly, on whether you are in KU or not.

Wide For The Win is an excellent group, as is Marie Force's Author Support Network, and SPF Community. If you're in these groups and participate, you will hear about more focused, smaller groups you can join.

TBH, the really large groups are so big and varied that they tend to have very strict moderation, and any question you might sneak through is likely to be met with a bunch of down-the-nose arrogant snark from older members. Things like your question being locked by a moderator and being told to "Search the Archives" instead, forgetting that Facebook's search function is TERRIBLE.

You want to be in these really big groups mainly to listen, but find some smaller groups to hang out. If you don't find any nice ones suitable for your level and genre, start your own.

Offline Bite the Dusty

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 05:09:06 pm »
    That helps a lot, Patty. Thank you.

Offline Rachel Anne

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 05:05:48 am »
    FB, I find, unfortunately, is a pretty large resource for authors.
    Aside from writing groups to join, many book cover artists and editors use FB as a platform to offer certain discounts, etc... and some don't bother with websites, any longer. It's also a decent marketing tool if you join reader groups that encourage author posts, takeovers, etc.

I find it's one of the necessary bitter pills to swallow and take part in. It sucks--I don't necessarily want my FB profile linked for my readers to find, and you can post and join some groups from an author created FB page... but not for all groups. Best I can do there is make my profile as hidden as possible from people not on my FB friends list.

Offline nail file

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 12, 2020, 04:48:32 am »
    You want to be in these really big groups mainly to listen, but find some smaller groups to hang out. If you don't find any nice ones suitable for your level and genre, start your own.

I've found this to be very true, especially in regards to 20books. It's so big, I just comment every so often on a post or another comment and lurk.

FB, I find, unfortunately, is a pretty large resource for authors.
    Aside from writing groups to join, many book cover artists and editors use FB as a platform to offer certain discounts, etc... and some don't bother with websites, any longer. It's also a decent marketing tool if you join reader groups that encourage author posts, takeovers, etc.

I find it's one of the necessary bitter pills to swallow and take part in. It sucks--I don't necessarily want my FB profile linked for my readers to find, and you can post and join some groups from an author created FB page... but not for all groups. Best I can do there is make my profile as hidden as possible from people not on my FB friends list.

I've come to this bitter realization myself. It's a two-edged sword that is annoying and yet has its surprising upsides. I found a cover artist for a new series through a large FB group.

Offline m123xyz

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 25, 2020, 09:15:02 am »
    ha yes I had same thing happen. tried to apply got rejected then tried again and they blocked me so I can't even see the page anymore. luckily I had joined under a pen name a couple years ago so I still have that to use when I want. was trying to consodalte accounts. I even contacted Michael Anderle and he said something funny which was nice but no one ever let me back in :(

good luck

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 09:15:34 am »
    As far as I can remember, my FB had nothing about my writing on it. Hardly anything on it, to be honest. I hate FB. But, I joined two or three years ago, and I believe the vetting process is stricter now. It has to be, because people sign up and immediately break the rules. It's not for newbie craft questions, nor any sort of promotion outside of the weekly threads. People are told over and over to read the Units first, then ask specific questions if they must.

I don't blame 20books for the strict moderation. They've had to put new posters on a one week no post ban, because people simply don't believe the rules mean them.

That said, there are groups and sites out there that allow more stuff to be posted. There are groups/sites that are specific to genre. There are private groups/sites you have to be invited to. Sometimes you get invited to those by posting on other groups and showing you're serious about learning and growing your writing career.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement