Author Topic: Amazon product page ebook page count glitch  (Read 480 times)  

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
Amazon product page ebook page count glitch
« on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:40 am »
Exactly what the thread title says. The updated estimator that they use for the page count on the ebook product page is apparently very buggy. I published an 80,000 word novel mid-September and the estimator listed it as 234 pages. Linking the paperback, which is 340+ pages, didn't fix it and KDP support has been giving me the usual runaround of pretending not to understand the problem. Oddly enough the KENPC count was reasonably close.

If you've published recently or uploaded a revised book file you might want to double check your page counts to make sure that they're in the ballpark of where they're supposed to be.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline redxxii

• View Profile
    Re: Amazon product page ebook page count glitch
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:59:38 pm »
    I had the same problem.  I uploaded my book, it said it was 211 pages when pre-sale started.  I check it a few days later, and it was randomly saying it was now 193 pages.  I call Amazon to complain, but they had no idea what the problem was, they just suggested I resubmit my book once the pre-sale lock down ended.

I downloaded and used the beta version of Kindle Create to make a new copy of my book, then uploaded that.  Few hours later, and my book was back to 211 and has stuck there since.

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:08:23 am »
    Whenever I publish a paperback linked to my ebook, I always write to KDP support with the folowing:

"Could you please be so kind as to update the following Kindle book page count to reflect its print page count? The print page count is XXX pages.

Kindle edition: ASIN, title
    Print edition: ASIN, title"

It works every time. If later the ebook page count changes for some reason, I write to them again with the same letter. Admittedly, a couple of times I received identical weird replies saying that in order to do that, I had to reformat my ebook to make the ebook page count match the paperback (WTH???). In which case, I simply resubmitted my request and it went through without a problem the second time. But if you don't write to them, they'll never update the page count.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:39:09 am by Lady Runa »

Storyteller

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:57:16 am »
    Whenever I publish a paperback linked to my ebook, I always write to KDP support with the folowing:

"Could you please be so kind as to update the following Kindle book page count to reflect its print page count? The print page count is XXX pages.

Kindle edition: ASIN, title
    Print edition: ASIN, title"

It works every time. If later the ebook page count changes for some reason, I write to them again with the same letter. Admittedly, a couple of times I received identical weird replies saying that in order to do that, I had to reformat my ebook to make the ebook page count match the paperback (WTH???). In which case, I simply resubmitted my request and it went through without a problem the second time. But if you don't write to them, they'll never update the page count.
    I did that for a solid month without getting it changed. I also uploaded new EPUBs and it didn't change. I finally created a completely new DOCX file and reformatted from scratch and that fixed it. Their estimator is choking on some kind of formatting that gets into the EPUBs, but there's no telling what. I offered to send them both versions to test with but haven't heard back.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 01:27:50 pm »
    I had them using the large print version page count for the page count on 2 out of 3 books in a series for the ebook version. Asked them to change it, they did, it reverted back. Asked again and they told me to update the metadata in the ebook version to fix it. I never bothered, but might be a way to fix it for you if you know how to do that.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline WegR

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 12:07:44 am »
    Had the same problem, KDP being unhelpful, re-uploading ebook didn't help etc.

What seemed to do the job for me (although cause and correlation not the same thing, so no guarantees) was when I re-uploaded both the ebook and the paperback at the same time.

Good luck!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement