Author Topic: Amazon now "prefers" epub files to mobi files  (Read 3556 times)  

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon now "prefers" epub files to mobi files
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2020, 09:23:09 am »
I was analyzing and writing about this "new" KFX format and Enhanced Typesetting on my blog in December 2015. It's five years old. Over the next year, most Kindle books were converted to KFX and Enhanced Typesetting, and it's been that way ever since.

Frankly, given the advantages of Enhanced Typesetting, I'm shocked there are still KDP authors who are submitting incompatible files. I'm also shocked that Amazon has let them do it for this long.

I'm sure you're very knowledgeable, but KFX is newer than the previous AZW and AZW3 (KF8) file formats. Correct? You had said that there was no new format.

We've been over this. Previously, nobody outside of techie world cared about KFX ebook format, because Amazon did not force compliance with the format. It was not an upload requirement. Starting Oct 27, it will be; KFX will be Amazon's ebook validation standard. Thus, HTML and CSS coding in epub files will register as "errors" in the intake, and Amazon won't accept the ebook file unless Amazon also offers (maybe) a workaround. Will they? We shall see. To me KFX validation seems like a problem because, just for openers, Vellum's Kindle epub uses HTML and CSS coding, as mentioned upthread.

Not sure here what your ongoing points are, other than your opinion that my interest in and concern for Amazon's new upload changes is overblown. If that's your opinion, fine. Me, I am indeed concerned, for the reasons that I've already said. If you'd like to offer counterarguments, feel free to include some evidence or citations. It helps the discussion.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Shane Lochlann Black

• Lexicon Hollow
    • Write something funny by 4PM or you're fired.
      • View Profile
      • The Committee to Ban Shane Lochlann Black
    « Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 10:34:17 am »
    Thus, HTML and CSS coding in epub files will register as "errors" in the intake, and Amazon won't accept the ebook file unless Amazon also offers (maybe) a workaround.

You can't make an ePUB without HTML and CSS.  They are part of the standard along with XML. If they register as errors, then you can't upload an ePUB at all.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: October 15, 2020, 11:38:32 am »

You can't make an ePUB without HTML and CSS.  They are part of the standard along with XML. If they register as errors, then you can't upload an ePUB at all.

You're right. I wasn't clear. Sorry.

What I meant to say was, in Amazon's conversion process when the epub file is converted into a KFX file, Amazon takes the HTML and CSS formatting instructions for the ebook that are inside the epub file and in effect translates them into KFX formatting language. That's my understanding, anyway. So formatting structures that are okay in KF8 files probably won't be accepted into KFX, because KFX's stricter Enhanced Formatting Typesetting gets tricky.

Again, that's my understanding. I hope I'm wrong.

*Edit: typo.
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:42:10 am by Triceratops »

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: October 15, 2020, 11:43:55 am »
    I'm sure you're very knowledgeable, but KFX is newer than the previous AZW and AZW3 (KF8) file formats. Correct? You had said that there was no new format.

We've been over this. Previously, nobody outside of techie world cared about KFX ebook format, because Amazon did not force compliance with the format. It was not an upload requirement. Starting Oct 27, it will be; KFX will be Amazon's ebook validation standard. Thus, HTML and CSS coding in epub files will register as "errors" in the intake, and Amazon won't accept the ebook file unless Amazon also offers (maybe) a workaround. Will they? We shall see. To me KFX validation seems like a problem because, just for openers, Vellum's Kindle epub uses HTML and CSS coding, as mentioned upthread.

Not sure here what your ongoing points are, other than your opinion that my interest in and concern for Amazon's new upload changes is overblown. If that's your opinion, fine. Me, I am indeed concerned, for the reasons that I've already said. If you'd like to offer counterarguments, feel free to include some evidence or citations. It helps the discussion.

You might start by just looking at some Kindle book pages. I think you'll find very few that do not already have Enhanced Typesetting, meaning they are KFX. Certainly most or all EPUB books will automatically work. And certainly anything from Vellum will work. Amazon is just trying to round up the very few stragglers.

The reason it has not been an issue for non-techies is because it has been taken care of for most authors without their thinking about it -- as, for instance, in Vellum. As Shane said, EPUB is not much more than HTML and CSS. Using those is in itself no problem. The people at Vellum are very, very smart, and I assure you, they took care of any compatibility problems long ago.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: October 15, 2020, 11:57:44 am »
    The reason it has not been an issue for non-techies is because it has been taken care of for most authors without their thinking about it -- as, for instance, in Vellum. As Shane said, EPUB is not much more than HTML and CSS. Using those is in itself no problem. The people at Vellum are very, very smart, and I assure you, they took care of any compatibility problems long ago.

What? We're not having a referendum on competence. Of course Vellum is great. That's not the issue. The issue is Amazon's unknowns. Right now Amazon has enacted a lot of changes in the past 30 days.

Look, if you really want to offer some empirical evidence that everything is cool, why don't you run ten or so of your ebook files through the latest version of Kindle Previewer, like I laid out upthread, and report back if Enhanced Typesetting fails, or not. And if any files fail, then what were the error messages in the KP conversion log?

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: October 15, 2020, 02:35:31 pm »
    What? We're not having a referendum on competence. Of course Vellum is great. That's not the issue. The issue is Amazon's unknowns. Right now Amazon has enacted a lot of changes in the past 30 days.

Look, if you really want to offer some empirical evidence that everything is cool, why don't you run ten or so of your ebook files through the latest version of Kindle Previewer, like I laid out upthread, and report back if Enhanced Typesetting fails, or not. And if any files fail, then what were the error messages in the KP conversion log?

It might help allay your fears if you download the Kindle Publishing Guidelines and study them. Your concerns seem to be entirely based on misunderstanding and speculation, and that might clear things up, or at least give you direction for further research.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: October 15, 2020, 06:02:05 pm »
    It might help allay your fears if you download the Kindle Publishing Guidelines and study them. Your concerns seem to be entirely based on misunderstanding and speculation, and that might clear things up, or at least give you direction for further research.

From your response, I presume that your copy of Kindle Previewer diagnosed not one Enhanced Typesetting fail on any one of your ebook files? Files that, since you represent yourself as an ebook coding expert, you no doubt created yourself?

Congratulations.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be getting back to the thread.

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: October 17, 2020, 10:34:57 am »
    <peeks in, looks around>

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement