Author Topic: Amazon now "prefers" epub files to mobi files  (Read 4044 times)  

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
Re: Amazon now "prefers" epub files to mobi files
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 08:39:41 am »
Thank you!

But, how is the upper-G Generic epub from Vellum different from the epub generated by the others? And how is the Vellum Kindle.epub version the same; or is it?

I'll head over to the Vellum thread and see if I can get the Vellum guy to chime in, too.

That would be the best place to ask and I'll watch there too. My best guess is that some Kindle and Look Inside friendly CSS/ media queries will be absent, and the store link thing is because most storefronts require you to link back only to themselves. I believe capital G Generic keeps it flexible by prompting you to link to your website instead.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:49:29 am by Gessert Books »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 08:46:56 am »
    That would be the best place to ask and I'll watch there too. My best guess is that some Kindle and Look Inside friendly CSS/ media queries will be absent, and the store link thing is because most storefronts require you to link back only to themselves. I believe capital G Generic keeps it flexible by prompting you to link to your website instead.

Thank you again!

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 09:19:25 am »
    I don't think most people knew or cared about Amazon's preference before, because it didn't seem to really matter. But now things seem to be changing. A mobi file triggers a big warning pop-up in Kindle Previewer. That's new.

More to the point, if Vellum is right, and a generic epub file is a no-no, that's also news.

https://blog.vellum.pub/2020/09/amazon-would-prefer-an-epub-file/

So Vellum seems to be saying that a generic epub file generated by Scrivener, Calibre, Sigil, etc, will be wrong. Vellum seems to be saying that a Kindle.epub file generated by Vellum is now the only way to go, for Amazon.

https://help.vellum.pub/generating/kindle-ebook-format/

I guess the question is, why? 

Maybe most people haven't cared, but KDP has been translating their MOBI files to EPUB as an intermediate step for quite some time. So, it has long been optimal to supply EPUB directly, even if not required. In fact, that has to be how Vellum handles it internally -- creating the EPUB then using Amazon's kindlegen to translate to MOBI if you ask for it, just as Kindle Previewer would do. Then Amazon would convert back to EPUB for further changes!

And it's nothing new that each major platform -- KDP, Apple, Kobo, B&N -- can benefit from tweaks to layout and coding. Vellum is just offering to do that for KDP, while also offering generic EPUB that will work well enough anywhere. I've been doing that kind of customization WITHOUT Vellum, just by testing my ebooks on different platforms and adjusting my HTML before converting to EPUB in calibre. It's great that Vellum saves you the trouble, and it's not easy to do yourself, but there's nothing in it that's exclusive to Vellum.

This all started with Amazon's introduction of Kindle Format 9, which abandoned MOBI and moved to EPUB. I can't even remember how long ago that was.

Offline Brad West

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 01:42:16 pm »
    Thank you!

But, how is the upper-G Generic epub from Vellum different from the epub generated by the others? And how is the Vellum Kindle.epub version the same; or is it?

Hello from Vellum. We should start by stating that this post was originally on the Vellum Blog and intended for users of Vellum. If you're not using Vellum, you may be interested to know about this change regarding MOBI, but we don't at all mean to suggest that you should stop using Word files, etc.

After seeing these changes at KDP and in Kindle Previewer, we wanted to make sure our users knew how to change Vellum to output an EPUB file for Kindle instead of the MOBI file it generates by default. That option is in Preferences, as seen above, and switching to EPUB will save a conversion step in Vellum and avoid warnings in Kindle Previewer.

We also wanted to remind users to always upload Vellum's Kindle-specific output to Amazon, and not an output file intended for another store. Vellum offers a generation option called "Generic EPUB" that is intended for aggregators like Draft2Digital. Though that file can be used with several different stores, it can cause problems at Amazon, as it lacks all of the Kindle-specific changes necessary for dealing with Amazon features like Look Inside, Kindle Cloud reader, etc. Also, with Vellum's Store Link feature, links to Amazon will only be included in the Kindle edition.

Again, though, this advice is intended for Vellum users. If you're creating an EPUB file by some other means, or you're uploading a Word file, feel free to keep doing what you're doing.

Hope that clarifies things.

Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum

Offline WRPursche

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 08, 2020, 05:40:56 pm »
    My kindlegen produced MOBI files look fine in the previewers (v3 and the older 2.94, which I find more accurate), on devices, and in the Look Inside. They also have Enhanced Typesetting enabled.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 03:29:16 am »
    Hello from Vellum. We should start by stating that this post was originally on the Vellum Blog and intended for users of Vellum. If you're not using Vellum, you may be interested to know about this change regarding MOBI, but we don't at all mean to suggest that you should stop using Word files, etc.

After seeing these changes at KDP and in Kindle Previewer, we wanted to make sure our users knew how to change Vellum to output an EPUB file for Kindle instead of the MOBI file it generates by default. That option is in Preferences, as seen above, and switching to EPUB will save a conversion step in Vellum and avoid warnings in Kindle Previewer.

We also wanted to remind users to always upload Vellum's Kindle-specific output to Amazon, and not an output file intended for another store. Vellum offers a generation option called "Generic EPUB" that is intended for aggregators like Draft2Digital. Though that file can be used with several different stores, it can cause problems at Amazon, as it lacks all of the Kindle-specific changes necessary for dealing with Amazon features like Look Inside, Kindle Cloud reader, etc. Also, with Vellum's Store Link feature, links to Amazon will only be included in the Kindle edition.

Again, though, this advice is intended for Vellum users. If you're creating an EPUB file by some other means, or you're uploading a Word file, feel free to keep doing what you're doing.

Hope that clarifies things.

Hi Brad, thanks for your prompt and courteous explanation.

I hear what you're saying that the advisory on Vellum's site was intended for Vellum users. But since Vellum has a dedicated thread on Writer's Cafe, and indie authors after all comprise both the customers and potential customers of Vellum, it seems legit to ask for clarification of the epub features here.

I also understand that uploading a Word file is fine. My question concerns epub files only.

Respectfully, I'm a little confused. This concerns typesetting, as opposed to links. Vellum's blog advisory states that there are clear differences between how Vellum generates its Kindle epub and its Generic epub. These differences result in variations with how epub files appear in Amazon's Look Inside and Kindle Cloud Reader. So, Vellum's Kindle epub contains a special code or codes that set its typesetting apart from Vellum's Generic epub. It sounds like you're confirming this in your kind response above.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're also saying that uploading an epub generated from a common non-Vellum program like Scrivener, Calibre, Sigil, etc is a-ok.

Do you see how that's a bit puzzling?

My questions are, what exactly are Vellum's Kindle-specific changes in the Kindle epub, and how great of a difference does it make with how files appear in Look Inside and Kindle Cloud Reader? Does the difference depend upon if the user has unique elements like tables or drop caps? Or do the differences manifest across the board?

Not trying to dig into Vellum's proprietary secrets, and feel free to tell me to buzz off. I'm just wondering if for Amazon, Vellum has, or might have, a secret sauce that makes its epubs look better in Look Inside and Kindle Cloud Reader, for a non-techie operator like me anyway.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 03:50:48 am »
    So this new wording helps discourage use of non-standard publishing tools like that.

Amazon has been encouraging people to use their own tools, like Kindle Create for a while. This thing about preferring epub is probably due to that format working better with KC than Word or any other way of getting a file into the program. I wonder if they have a new thing coming for creating files?

Anyway, I've not seen Amazon "pushing" epub before, not until threads like this one started. I've not gotten an email nor seen any notices on the KDP forum about it, either. It might be in the trial stage, prior to any news being officially announced, as Amazon is prone to do.

I don't know if I'll begin using epub, or continue to upload mobi files from Scrivener. I guess I'll just have to see how things go.

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 07:38:02 am »
    Amazon has been encouraging people to use their own tools, like Kindle Create for a while. This thing about preferring epub is probably due to that format working better with KC than Word or any other way of getting a file into the program. I wonder if they have a new thing coming for creating files?

Anyway, I've not seen Amazon "pushing" epub before, not until threads like this one started. I've not gotten an email nor seen any notices on the KDP forum about it, either. It might be in the trial stage, prior to any news being officially announced, as Amazon is prone to do.

I don't know if I'll begin using epub, or continue to upload mobi files from Scrivener. I guess I'll just have to see how things go.

If you are generating mobi files from scriv, you are basically already using epub. Scrivener generates mobi files from epub behind the scenes via kindlegen. So there is no real benefit to using mobi there.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 09:22:30 am »
    If you are generating mobi files from scriv, you are basically already using epub. Scrivener generates mobi files from epub behind the scenes via kindlegen. So there is no real benefit to using mobi there.

Not trying to stir the pot (more), but viz Kindlegen or lack thereof, there's a caution on the Jutoh site re using Calibre to generate mobi files for Amazon?

And also, if Amazon's no longer supporting Kindlegen (which I presume since Zon is no longer offering Kindlegen downloads), but Scrivener uses Kindlegen, does anybody know if Scrivener has now pivoted to using Kindle Previewer 3 for generating its files for Amazon, like Jutoh does?

How do I install Kindlegen and Kindle Previewer?

As of August 2020, Amazon is no longer making a separate distribution of Kindlegen available for download. Instead, Jutoh can use the Kindlegen that comes with Kindle Previewer 3. Unfortunately, it also means that Linux users are not supported: but you can use Kindle-optimized Epub files instead, and they can be uploaded to KDP instead of .mobi files.

Why are .mobi files larger than Epub files?

Mobipocket files generated by Kindlegen (as opposed to Calibre) also incorporate the original source files, so that Amazon has the option to later recompile the ebook with newer software. However, the customer is likely to be sent a smaller file from the Kindle store.

Note also that Amazon recommends Kindlegen for the creation of Mobipocket (Kindle) files. Using an unapproved Kindle file compiler, such as Calibre, may produce poor results or cause ebooks to be rejected from the Kindle store.
    [my bolding]
    http://www.jutoh.com/faq.html

* Edit: added Scrivener question.
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:28:25 am by Triceratops »

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 09:31:45 am »
    Yes, calibre has basically always done nonstandard things for mobi afaik, which I don't say as a criticism of the software at all. It was not made with production and publishing in mind, but rather for personal library management, and I use it myself for that.
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:33:18 am by Gessert Books »

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 11:37:34 am »
    Not trying to stir the pot (more), but viz Kindlegen or lack thereof, there's a caution on the Jutoh site re using Calibre to generate mobi files for Amazon?

And also, if Amazon's no longer supporting Kindlegen (which I presume since Zon is no longer offering Kindlegen downloads), but Scrivener uses Kindlegen, does anybody know if Scrivener has now pivoted to using Kindle Previewer 3 for generating its files for Amazon, like Jutoh does?

You wouldn't use calibre to generate MOBI for Amazon. You would use it to generate EPUB for Amazon. That's what I now do all the time, converting from clean HTML to EPUB 2 format. Just watch calibre's export options, and verify with an EPUB checker such as epubcheck.

Amazon is very much supporting kindlegen, they're just not distributing it SEPARATELY. Previewer itself uses kindlegen, that's why it's installed as part of Previewer. But there's no point converting to MOBI, because Amazon just reconverts after upload. The only reason I use Previewer is to test conversion of my EPUB file before uploading EPUB to Amazon.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 08:46:42 am »
    Looks like Zon will be further tightening upload requirements ("more checks") on October 27.

On the face, this is to support Kindle Enhanced Typesetting.

Coming October 2020: File Ingestion Requirement

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the digital reading experience for our customers, we wanted to share with you that starting October 27, 2020 we will be updating eBook file conversion requirements for large tables and include more checks to ensure eBook manuscripts are formatted correctly. This will allow more books to support Enhanced Typesetting -- our advanced typographical and layout features that offer customers a better reading experience.  Most books already publish with Enhanced Typesetting support and customers have come to expect this experience with every title.

- For titles already available on Kindle, no action is needed. Your eBooks will continue to be available to customers as they are today.

- For new or resubmitted titles, if you submit a file and it does not meet the new requirements, the actions to fix will now be available for you on your KDP Bookshelf after you upload your manuscript and cover. You may also use Kindle Previewer (KPR) version 3.39 or higher to review your files prior to publication. View the Conversion Log (found in the View Menu in KPR) to find steps to fix any errors related to enhanced typesetting.

https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/article/Coming-October-2020-File-Ingestion-Requirement

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 12, 2020, 10:27:46 am »
    This makes some sense in that if they want to push ET it seems normal that they'd prefer epub, so that they can run the conversion themselves. Of note too that large tables are known for breaking ET, which is likely why they're mentioned here.

Offline Brad West

• View Profile
      • Vellum
    « Reply #38 on: October 12, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »
    My questions are, what exactly are Vellum's Kindle-specific changes in the Kindle epub, and how great of a difference does it make with how files appear in Look Inside and Kindle Cloud Reader? Does the difference depend upon if the user has unique elements like tables or drop caps? Or do the differences manifest across the board?

Vellum's Kindle-specific output contains a number of workarounds for potential issues on the Kindle platform. One of these issues is that, as Amazon converts your file to the multiple formats used throughout its system, it will create a file in their older 'mobi7' format. This particular format is very old and extremely limited. It is primarily intended for older devices (i.e. the original Kindle), but it can still (sometimes) be used in Look Inside and in Kindle Cloud Reader.

There can be a number of issues with this translation to mobi7, especially for ebooks that use a fair amount of CSS for style and use modern CSS constructs like combinators. A selection of CSS that scales down the font size in a Copyright page, for example, may be incorrectly translated to scale the font size for the entire book.

To avoid these issues, Vellum wraps any CSS that may be mis-translated into a special media query that tells Amazon to ignore the style when converting to mobi7. These are non-standard, Amazon-specific media queries, however. They wouldn't make sense to see on any other platform, and wrapping style in this manner can cause issues on platforms that don't properly handle media queries (like Nook). For that reason, Vellum only uses these media queries in its Kindle-specific output, and not in output for other stores or in its "Generic EPUB" output intended for aggregators like Draft2Digital. And that's why you may have issues if you upload Vellum's Generic EPUB output to Amazon.

For Vellum users, the key bit is to always upload Vellum's Kindle-specific file to Amazon, and not its Generic EPUB output. That advice is not new, but given Amazon's new requests for EPUB files, we felt we needed to remind our users to make use of Vellum's Kindle Ebook Format controls rather than upload a file intended for another store.

If you're not using Vellum, then the advice of using Kindle-specific output vs Generic EPUB doesn't really apply. But if you're writing your own CSS, and encountering problems when your file is converted to mobi7, you may want to look into Amazon's proprietary media queries. More about those media queries can be found in their Kindle Publishing Guidelines. But nothing here is really affected by this change in preference for EPUB files over MOBI. As AaronShep mentions above, Amazon's been working from EPUB files for some time now.

Hope that helps.
    Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 12, 2020, 01:42:29 pm »
    Hope that helps.

Yes indeed. Thanks Brad!

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 12, 2020, 02:10:01 pm »
    This makes some sense in that if they want to push ET it seems normal that they'd prefer epub, so that they can run the conversion themselves. Of note too that large tables are known for breaking ET, which is likely why they're mentioned here.

The change coming on October 27 sounds to me like Amazon is saying Starting Oct 27, if you try uploading a file that contains formatting that is disallowed in Enhanced Typesetting, such as any HTML/CSS crap, you can expect a big fat error message with a convenient auto-log entry that you can peruse to discover the uber-techy reason your file got rejected. Maybe Amazon might offer an option to upload a file without enabling Enhanced Typesetting; but then of course you risk your ebook looking like the second-class cousin with the bad haircut.

At this point I'm wondering, skeptically, why Amazon are pushing Enhanced Typesetting so hard. For uploading ebook files, Amazon has changed a bunch of stuff within the last 30 days. It appears all directed toward compliance with Enhanced Typesetting. ET is not so bad, it has better rendering and better typesetting, and it's reflowable.

That would be fine, except for two things. To my knowledge Enhanced Typesetting runs only on the new KFX format. KFX replaces the older AZW and AZW3 (KF8) file formats. The AZW and AZW3 (KF8) formats run on older Kindles. The KFX format runs on the new Kindles.

And KFX has DRM encryption. Which I believe is built-in, whether the publisher (us) wants the ebook DRM-free, or not? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Amazon has not updated Kindlegen in at least seven years; it's been stalled on version 2.9 forever. Plus, Amazon no longer offers Kindlegen as a standalone download. Third-party ebook formatting programs like Jutoh and Vellum have to use the Kindlegen inside Kindle Previewer.

Conversely, Amazon's Kindle Create has been getting updates and Amazon recently has been herding self-publishers to use it:

With the latest release of Kindle Create, you can now upload your Kindle Create file to KDP as both an eBook and paperback of any trim size, creating both digital and print versions of your book simultaneously!
    Routine but challenging paperback tasks like margins, page numbers, left/right side page layouts, widow/orphan treatment, and table of contents creation are also handled automatically.
    Ready to publish your next book? Or ready to publish one of your eBooks in paperback? Download the latest version of Kindle Create today and get started.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/09/29/kindle-create-now-outputs-pod-book-files/

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it seems possible that Amazon's using the better rendering etc of the Enhanced Typesetting features (which really are not that much better than AZW3, imo) as a sales-pitch pretext to funnel publishers into abandoning the old KF8 format for the new KFX format. With KFX Amazon has much more control. KFX is not as open a format as KF8. And KFX has DRM encryption.

Which I suppose would mean that formatting's going to get more complicated, for everybody.

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:26 pm »
    At this point I'm wondering, skeptically, why Amazon are pushing Enhanced Typesetting so hard.

I think the question should instead be, "Why has Amazon waited so many years before forcing authors to abandon an inferior and outdated format?" This was only a grace period, and I'm amazed it has gone on this long. If you were dealing with Apple, the forced switch would have happened long ago.

By the way, if kindlegen has not been updated, it's because it's only a conversion engine, and it doesn't need to change unless there's a change in Kindle format. The front end, Previewer, is frequently updated. And apps, I believe, are not using the kindlegen "in" Previewer. Kindlegen is installed at the same time but separately, and Previewer and all other apps use that.

And I don't think formatting has to get any more complicated. In fact, I purposely format my ebooks so simply that they'll look great on even the oldest devices -- the MOBI7 that Brad mentioned -- while still being eligible for Enhanced Typesetting. In fact, I'd say that accommodating old formats is what's complicated, not dealing with new ones.

Offline Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 12, 2020, 07:06:05 pm »

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it seems possible that Amazon's using the better rendering etc of the Enhanced Typesetting features (which really are not that much better than AZW3, imo) as a sales-pitch pretext to funnel publishers into abandoning the old KF8 format for the new KFX format. With KFX Amazon has much more control. KFX is not as open a format as KF8. And KFX has DRM encryption.

Which I suppose would mean that formatting's going to get more complicated, for everybody.

Amazon's never obsoleted a kindle device as far as I know, but they'd really have to if they wanted to force the latest format. And they may at some point, but there really are a ton of older devices out there. Who knows what they're thinking, but I'm guessing it's moreso that they want to make sure new titles at least support ET, partly since they brag about it so much, and partly because even basic stuff like hyphenation and justification options land under that umbrella.

FWIW Amazon has some of the most lenient specs I've seen and it's sort of nice to see some shift there, though I don't much like ET-compliance becoming sort of like a validation spec. Would have much rather they'd found a way to tie Enhanced Typesetting to a successful epubcheck pass or something.
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:11:40 am by Gessert Books »

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:18 am »
    Amazon's never obsoleted a kindle device as far as I know, but they'd really have to if they wanted to force the latest format.

To my knowledge, older Kindles up to around 2012/2013 can process Extended Typesetting/KFX files, albeit the hardware screen resolutions may not do the higher-res ET justice. But new Kindles will not run the older AZW and AZW3 (KF8) file formats.

And that of course offers Zon the excuse to force the change, for uploading new ebooks. "Well the old AZW and AZW3 (KF8) file formats won't work on the new Kindles, so of course we have to mandate Extended Typesetting/KFX." So to me it seems there's file format flexibility going backward, just not forward.

FWIW Amazon has some of the most lenient specs I've seen and it's sort of nice to see some shift there, though I don't much like ET-compliance becoming sort of like a validation spec. Would have much rather they'd found a way to tie Enhanced Typesetting to a successful epubcheck pass or something.

Agreed. But it appears to me that Zon wants tighter control over its ebook files going forward. Unless I'm mistaken, the compliance hurdles will only get higher.

KF8 was basically Webkit, which itself was basically an open-source browser, AFAIK. OTOH, KFX is in-house proprietary. With DRM encryption.

Control, control, control...

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: October 14, 2020, 08:36:41 am »
    Pursuant to the October 27 deadline -- when publishers self- and otherwise will no longer be permitted to upload an ebook file without correcting Enhanced Typesetting "errors" -- those folks who want to know in advance just how their epub and mobi files will fare under the new regime, can try the following.

- Download Kindle Previewer, whose version today is 3.46. Note: this latest version runs only on Windows 8.1 and above (64-bit Intel/AMD), and Intel macOSX 10.13 (High Sierra) and above.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_5?&docId=1000765261

- See if your file fails Enhanced Typesetting. First, import your eBook into Kindle Previewer. If your eBook supports Enhanced Typesetting, the Enhanced Typesetting label is displayed in the Preview and Navigation Options pane.
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202087570

- If the file fails Enhanced Typesetting, check the conversion log. Amazon added KP's conversion log feature around March 2020.

The error message(s) you see in the conversion log may be identical to any error messages you might encounter on and after October 27.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: October 14, 2020, 07:22:59 pm »
    Last night, new language was inserted into KDP's "Update Your Book Details" verbiage.

Details you can't edit after publishing

There are certain book details you won't be able to change after publishing. Which details you can change also depends on whether you published an eBook or a paperback. Regardless of format, if you significantly change your book, it's considered a new edition and should be published as a new book.

eBook

You won't be able to change:

Digital Rights Management (DRM)

Publication date: The Kindle Store automatically enters the date you first published your book through KDP

Title and/or Author name: If you make changes to your main title and/or author name after publication, your eBook will be considered as a new book, you will need to upload a new submission.

To improve the shopping and reading experience for customers, if you significantly change your book title or author name when submitting it as a new book, you're required to include the following disclaimer at the top of the description field: "Previously published as [book title] by [author name]." Significant changes to both book title and author name aren't allowed.

Note: Your publication date isn't the same as your release date. You can change your release date if you want to make new books available for pre-order in Kindle Stores worldwide.

[bolding mine]
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200736410?fbclid=IwAR2SfAb0RZdBOcgyzbjsFekFHM9u0meIvGSP9uxJ_oxB0hg1JniipZHkYT0

The new don't-ask-to-change DRM is almost certainly cause and/or consequence of the new KFX ebook file format.

Weird is the don't-ask-to-change title and/or author name. That's new. Perhaps the KFX file format embeds them in the file metadata and Amazon can't or won't change it following upload? Anybody know?

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: October 14, 2020, 08:15:44 pm »
    The new don't-ask-to-change DRM is almost certainly cause and/or consequence of the new KFX ebook file format.

Weird is the don't-ask-to-change title and/or author name. That's new. Perhaps the KFX file format embeds them in the file metadata and Amazon can't or won't change it following upload? Anybody know?

This is the oddest discussion. All these things being attributed to a format that is already several years old. The ONLY thing related to this format that has changed is that Amazon wants everyone to use it, because it's BETTER. Here is a list of the advantages:

You have NEVER been able to get rid of DRM once you've applied it. If you can't change DRM at all now, it just means you can't ADD it later.

Forbidding title and author is simply a way of avoiding confusion among customers. OF COURSE, they could allow changes if they wanted. They've been allowing them up till now in ALL formats.

Amazon is CONSTANTLY tightening its guidelines and requirements to try to improve things. There is no conspiracy, there is no new format, and everything is in plain siight.

Offline Northern pen

• North
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: October 14, 2020, 09:18:02 pm »
    Wait, does this mean people still waste time making mobi and epub files???  That is so 5 years ago.

Unless you're using Vellum or some fancy software that makes books so pretty you spontaneously have multiple orgasms from the experience of reading such a beautiful book, just load the word file.

Offline Triceratops

• Cinderella story.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: October 15, 2020, 06:13:35 am »
    This is the oddest discussion. All these things being attributed to a format that is already several years old. The ONLY thing related to this format that has changed is that Amazon wants everyone to use it, because it's BETTER. Here is a list of the advantages:

You have NEVER been able to get rid of DRM once you've applied it. If you can't change DRM at all now, it just means you can't ADD it later.

Forbidding title and author is simply a way of avoiding confusion among customers. OF COURSE, they could allow changes if they wanted. They've been allowing them up till now in ALL formats.

Amazon is CONSTANTLY tightening its guidelines and requirements to try to improve things. There is no conspiracy, there is no new format, and everything is in plain siight.

Actually, Amazon does have a new ebook file format, like I said: it's called KFX. No one said anything about a conspiracy. Why are you typing all caps so often? In net etiquette that comes off as shouting.

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: October 15, 2020, 08:39:11 am »
    Actually, Amazon does have a new ebook file format, like I said: it's called KFX. No one said anything about a conspiracy. Why are you typing all caps so often? In net etiquette that comes off as shouting.

I was analyzing and writing about this "new" KFX format and Enhanced Typesetting on my blog in December 2015. It's five years old. Over the next year, most Kindle books were converted to KFX and Enhanced Typesetting, and it's been that way ever since.

Frankly, given the advantages of Enhanced Typesetting, I'm shocked there are still KDP authors who are submitting incompatible files. I'm also shocked that Amazon has let them do it for this long.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement