Author Topic: Books that got you interested in writing  (Read 732 times)  

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
Re: Books that got you interested in writing
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2020, 08:55:02 pm »
I've read lots and lots of books like all of us on this forum. But the one that actually made me write my first words was a non-fiction (historical) called Ghost on the Throne, by James Romm. I found the book utterly captivating, and my first novel drew inspiration from many characters in that book. I even wrote to him, thanking him for the inspiration (he never replied though :) )

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Louis_Park

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: Today at 05:14:52 am »
    I got lent a dog eared copy of a horror novel by a friend when I was a kid. It was The Pariah, by Graham Masterton. I'd never had a book scare me so much, and it turned me into a voracious reader.

In my teens, I got into playing Warhammer, the table-top game with the little model soldiers. Started reading the books that went along with that, too.

I had Chaos Dwarves for Warhammer, Eldar and Imperial Guard for 40k, and Imperial Guard / Space Marines for Epic. Also, Blood Bowl boardgame  ;D

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Rumble Fish, and the Ousiders started me off reading (my English teacher recommended them to me). Then it was getting hooked on David Eddings, Raymond E. Feist, and Robert Jordan that got me interested in wanting to create my own stories. It was twenty-ish years later that I developed the motivation to follow through with such desires.

Online Lucas

• United States
    • Sure, why not?
      • View Profile
      • https://www.lucasalpay.com/
    « Reply #27 on: Today at 04:53:24 pm »
    The Trilogy His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

Online Carol Davis

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Carol Davis Author
    « Reply #28 on: Today at 04:59:33 pm »
    For me... it wasn't books that got me writing, it was television.

I've always been a voracious reader, and I read all kinds of genres, but it was TV shows that made me put pen to paper. I wanted my favorite characters to have more adventures, so I wrote them. It took a while, but that approach did good things for me -- fanfic was my stepping stone into almost all the chapters of my writing career.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement