Author Topic: Book not loading  (Read 168 times)  

Offline toubabdoc

• View Profile
Book not loading
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:57:19 am »
I'm on an older Paperwhite. I don't know which gen.
I downloaded a book and the download indicated it would go onto "all [my] Kindle devices". It went onto my Android phone just fine but not onto the Paperwhite.
I checked the Wifi connection and it is turned on. I Synched and Restarted. Still no download.
What else do I need to check?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:19:39 am by toubabdoc »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Book not loading
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:17:34 am »
    This is an intermittent but ongoing problem that some of us have had for a while now.

On your Kindle, depending on the model, you need to set the sort on the top left to 'All' or 'Cloud' rather than 'On Device' or 'Downloaded'. This will show all your books, whether downloaded or not. When you find the book you're after (it might help to change the sort option top right to 'recent') then just tap on it and it will download.

Unfortunately, while this problem persists, for e-ink devices, manual downloading like this is the only way to go.
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Book not loading
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:32:13 am »
    This is an intermittent but ongoing problem that some of us have had for a while now.

On your Kindle, depending on the model, you need to set the sort on the top left to 'All' or 'Cloud' rather than 'On Device' or 'Downloaded'. This will show all your books, whether downloaded or not. When you find the book you're after (it might help to change the sort option top right to 'recent') then just tap on it and it will download.

Unfortunately, while this problem persists, for e-ink devices, manual downloading like this is the only way to go.

And it's not at all consistent behavior, at least not for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But with 3 active kindles on my account (5 if you count my brother's and my husband's) I can't always recall specifically which one I send any given book to. Which means I'm never sure if it's a glitch or something I did. :) I think they all go to bedtime reading. But then some go to Tardis and some to Hermoine's Handbag -- usuallly one for fiction and one for non-fiction. BUT I know I don't always pay close attention and I'm sure some books have gone to both or the "wrong" one.

A thing I've seen lately on my Bedtime kindle -- which is an Oasis, not the newest but the one before -- is that the books download but then show twice: once as normal and you can interact with ti, and once as a sort of ghots. It just shows a generic cover with the title, but when you touch it nothing happens. And you can't make it go away. It doesn't seem to affect reading anything else. If I do a restart, the ghost goes away.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement