Author Topic: Google Play upping their royalties to 70%  (Read 613 times)  

Offline kwest

• View Profile
Google Play upping their royalties to 70%
« on: October 15, 2020, 05:04:24 pm »
Surprised I haven't seen this piece of news on here. Google Play has always been a nice market for me so this will just be icing on the cake.

Nice to see them become a more attractive option for authors.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    Re: Google Play upping their royalties to 70%
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 07:15:45 pm »
    I think they're also going to stop discounting books in the U.S. and Canada? Here's a quote from the email I got:

Were increasing your revenue split to 70% in 60+ countries as part of our continuing effort to improve your publisher experience. You will earn 70% of the list price on ebooks sold to customers in these 60+ countries regardless of the price of your ebook. You will continue to receive your current revenue split on sales in the remaining Google Play Books supported countries.

We will unilaterally follow the list price that you provide for an ebook on sales to customers in the United States and Canada. We reserve the right to discount if we see a lower price for the ebook available from another retailer.

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline Loosecannon

• Western frontier
      • View Profile
      • Modus Operandi Press
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:20:29 pm »
    Soooo...are folks switching just the US & Canada Google prices to match the other stores you publish at  OR... modifying the WORLD price to the non-boosted Google price due to their previous discounting ? If the later should I still be worried about Amazon price-matching in non US / Canada markets?

Offline kwest

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:40:31 am »
    I think they're also going to stop discounting books in the U.S. and Canada?

I didn't really interpret that way. Just seems like there's a typo. "Sales" should be "sale". Just saying they will follow whatever price you set, though they may lower the price if your book is priced lower elsewhere.

Soooo...are folks switching just the US & Canada Google prices to match the other stores you publish at  OR... modifying the WORLD price to the non-boosted Google price due to their previous discounting ? If the later should I still be worried about Amazon price-matching in non US / Canada markets?

Google Play hasn't auto-discounted things in quite a while. They will sell your book at your list price in all markets, at least as far as I can see. It's been that way for at least the past two years, thank God.

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 12:06:38 pm »
    I didn't really interpret that way. Just seems like there's a typo. "Sales" should be "sale". Just saying they will follow whatever price you set, though they may lower the price if your book is priced lower elsewhere.

Oh, yeah maybe. I didn't think of the typo possibility.

Just to be clear, they used to preemptively discount. It was a huge pain. You had to price your book at $5.16 to end up with a price of $3.99 (or something like that) and prevent a price-matching problem with Amazon. But maybe they already stopped preemptively discounting? I haven't checked my books there in some time.

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline kwest

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 12:15:45 pm »
    Oh, yeah maybe. I didn't think of the typo possibility.

Just to be clear, they used to preemptively discount. It was a huge pain. You had to price your book at $5.16 to end up with a price of $3.99 (or something like that) and prevent a price-matching problem with Amazon. But maybe they already stopped preemptively discounting? I haven't checked my books there in some time.

Yep, that seems to have come to an end.

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 06:13:44 pm »
    Google Play is the best. I always do okay there.

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 02:56:22 pm »
    Even though the vast majority of my readers seem to prefer paperbacks, this was a cool email to get. I just wish Google's reporting was a little more to the point.

I guess you have to hand to them for being so generous.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:04:14 am »
    Just to be clear, they used to preemptively discount. It was a huge pain. You had to price your book at $5.16 to end up with a price of $3.99
    With the new changes, I changed all my ebooks to "regular" price. It shouldn't matter much anymore with price matching. At first, my biggest concern was BookBub because they discount in India and India's still at 52% royalty, but then I remembered that if you price at $0.99 whatever the royalty, your ebook will still be priced at $0.99 anyway.

This all means that, finally, you can price at GooglePlay the same way you price everywhere else.  :D

But for those of you who used to inflate your rate ($5.16, for example), change it to regular pricing now. I did notice that the ebooks I didn't return to "normal" price were now a little inflated on Amazon internationally.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

KBoards.com

• Advertisement