Author Topic: Oasis 3 battery life.  (Read 637 times)  

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
Oasis 3 battery life.
« on: October 16, 2020, 11:52:12 am »
I got my Oasis 3 on Wednesday and charged it fully. I read for about an hour on Wednesday night and about an hour again last night. So around 2 hours of total reading time and I noticed I am down to 88%. I have the light at I believe either 8 or 10 and the warmth is at around 12-15 so maybe that is what is doing it? It just seems that the battery on this drains quite a bit faster than my voyage and 1st gen oasis do. I do have wifi on as well but I did always keep it on on the voyage and 1st gen oasis as well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    Re: Oasis 3 battery life.
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 12:15:34 pm »
    I got my light on auto so it fluctuates between like 11-13 most of the time. My warm is on 11 right now, had it at 12. I keep wifi on all the time. I get about the same battery on my Oasis3 than I did/do on my Voyage. Maybe a bit less, the Voyage was quite good with charges. I have the original Oasis too, with the charge covers. That one has pretty good life too. I have 2 covers so I just extended that time out on that one. So yeah, maybe a bit less than the voyage and the O1?

I think maybe batteries like to get through a few full charges before they are more accurate? Is there still some indexint done? New devices always deplete for me fast the first couple of charges. I think because it has to catch up with all my stuff. I have a few too many collections  ;D.

If I were to totally drain the battery, just on calculations, I would get the 21 hours of reading time. But I never let it get that low. I just plug it in here and there as it charges so fast on the O3. So its hard for me to say how much it goes down after reading for so many hours. I am not looking anymore. I did though when it was new as I always do. Then I stop.

I'd wait for a couple of more charge cycles to see hot it goes.

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 12:22:28 pm »
    I got my light on auto so it fluctuates between like 11-13 most of the time. My warm is on 11 right now, had it at 12. I keep wifi on all the time. I get about the same battery on my Oasis3 than I did/do on my Voyage. Maybe a bit less, the Voyage was quite good with charges. I have the original Oasis too, with the charge covers. That one has pretty good life too. I have 2 covers so I just extended that time out on that one. So yeah, maybe a bit less than the voyage and the O1?

I think maybe batteries like to get through a few full charges before they are more accurate? Is there still some indexint done? New devices always deplete for me fast the first couple of charges. I think because it has to catch up with all my stuff. I have a few too many collections  ;D.

If I were to totally drain the battery, just on calculations, I would get the 21 hours of reading time. But I never let it get that low. I just plug it in here and there as it charges so fast on the O3. So its hard for me to say how much it goes down after reading for so many hours. I am not looking anymore. I did though when it was new as I always do. Then I stop.

I'd wait for a couple of more charge cycles to see hot it goes.

That is good advice. I don't have many books on my kindle so it doesn't have much indexing to do. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes moving forward. Maybe I just never really paid close attention to my Voyage or the Oasis and they drain similarly. I do love the warm light though. It makes such a difference in the reading experience for me.

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »
    Sounds about right to me. Oasis 3 doesn't have the strongest battery
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 05:24:26 am »
    My Oasis 2 easily has the worst battery of all my Kindle devices (and I have a lot of them).  I am lucky if I only have to charge it twice a week.  It seems to charge back up faster, but if I try to do several long reading binges on the weekend, I have to plug it in.

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 08:21:07 pm »
    I'm going to start leaving the Wi-Fi off on my Oasis 3 to help the battery a bit. It's an at-home only device, so I have no issue charging it, but the battery does cause some annoyances at times.
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 04:19:37 am »
    I'm going to start leaving the Wi-Fi off on my Oasis 3 to help the battery a bit. It's an at-home only device, so I have no issue charging it, but the battery does cause some annoyances at times.

Wifi off will certainly prolong battery life. My Oasis is the 2nd iteration and I don't have a feel for how the battery lasts really. It lives on my bedside table and I read every night anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more depending. I do leave wifi on because I want it to sync with my other kindles that I read on during the day, whether at home or out and about. Even when it says the battery is low -- I think it starts warning me at around 10% -- I can read for quite a while. And when I'm done for the night I just plug it in. I've only once or twice had it flat out turn off on me -- and that was as much me not paying attention as anything. (It was a really good book, I guess. :D )
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement