Author Topic: Well, I'll be! We Australian authors can get author copies direct again. Yay!  (Read 1600 times)  

Offline lea_owens

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
For ages now, to order print copies from Amazon, we Aussies had to create a U.S. shopping/shipping address and pay to have our 'zon books shipped to that U.S. address, then the shipping company would forward to us. This made double postage and handling, which made books incredibly expensive for us to order, which drove many authors to publish on IS over here.

I just went to order 10 copies each of my Outback Riders books for Christmas gifts, and we can now have them shipped direct from 'zon to Oz. So, I increased the order to 30 copies each, and they're on their way, direct from the U.S. to Down Under. Yay. Of course, the international postage is still expensive, but I was on the verge of organising to print with IS, and now I won't (well, for at least a while).

Leanne Owens

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    Too late. I went to IS. Not going back. It was even ridiculous that they should throw such a childish hissyfit over a simple thing.

Offline lea_owens

• Queensland, Australia
      • View Profile
    Too late. I went to IS. Not going back. It was even ridiculous that they should throw such a childish hissyfit over a simple thing.

I haven't completed setting up my IS account. Do you just do the print books with them, or eBooks as well, Patty? I like my KU pocket money, so wouldn't want to leave that (yet).   Mind you, I was thinking of having my horse-themed books available at some horse shows where a few people know me because of my horses, so if I was looking at having any quantity printed, and not just some for Christmas presents, I imagine IS would be worth it because of the postage. The postage from the US is more expensive per book, regardless of the quantity, so those already with IS for their print book supply aren't likely to switch back.

Leanne Owens

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    I haven't completed setting up my IS account. Do you just do the print books with them, or eBooks as well, Patty? I like my KU pocket money, so wouldn't want to leave that (yet).   Mind you, I was thinking of having my horse-themed books available at some horse shows where a few people know me because of my horses, so if I was looking at having any quantity printed, and not just some for Christmas presents, I imagine IS would be worth it because of the postage. The postage from the US is more expensive per book, regardless of the quantity, so those already with IS for their print book supply aren't likely to switch back.

I advise people to absolutely stay away from IS ebooks at all cost.

They're slow to change prices if you have a promo, won't allow you to change lower than certain amounts and are just in general determined to eff up your promo.

I've never used them, but in the promos I run, I have to regularly delete people who use IS and then can't get their prices to where they need to be. And I tell these people it's never a good idea to go to IS for ebooks, because it sucks.

Their print book service is fine and much more versatile than KDP, plus they actually do proper distribution.

Online ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    ...Can we? I see the option is there, but when I open the drop down menu for marketplace, there's no .au option.

Shane Carrow

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    >when I open the drop down menu for marketplace, there's no .au option

Well, there's no POD facility in Oz, so they must be printed in the US, so wouldn't you select the US store?

>I increased the order to 30 copies each, and they're on their way, direct from the U.S. to Down Under

Well done, and thanks for the heads-up!

Let's hope that they don't arrive in 30 different boxes....
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline lea_owens

• Queensland, Australia
      • View Profile
    ...Can we? I see the option is there, but when I open the drop down menu for marketplace, there's no .au option.

They still print on the .com site, not here - they just post direct from the U.S. .com site to us rather than us needing a U.S. address with a mail-forwarder and paying double postage/handling.

Leanne Owens

Online ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    Ah, righto. Cool! I can finally see whether the print formatting I did myself which took hours and hours and hours and made me want to throw my laptop out the window was actually any good or not.

Shane Carrow

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
      • View Profile
      • ritaleechapman.com
    Yes, it's great news.  It happened between ordering a proof copy via family in the UK and setting up an Aussie Post account.  As I started filling out the details it just accepted the order.  Weird.

Crime mysteries with a touch of romance and travel
    Rita Lee Chapman | Website | Blogger | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest

Offline NYEnglishman

• View Profile
    I increased the order to 30 copies each, and they're on their way, direct from the U.S. to Down Under. Yay. Of course, the international postage is still expensive, but I was on the verge of organising to print with IS, and now I won't (well, for at least a while).

Thank you!  I just did this successfully.  I didn't really want 30 copies, but I guess as you say they make great gifts.  I found this forum because of this tip, so thank you!

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Re: Well, I'll be! We Australian authors can get author copies direct again. Yay!
    « Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 03:11:11 am »
    They must have gotten tired of all the complaints. Still no solution to everyone complaining they can't get anything due to virus restrictions, but it's a start. Maybe things will ease up even more. I mean, even Walmart has dropped that one way aisle shopping thing, finally. People didn't pay attention, and it was inconvenient.

Offline PeterRhodan

• Gold Coast Australia
    • She'll be right mate
      • View Profile
    Re: Well, I'll be! We Australian authors can get author copies direct again. Yay!
    « Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 11:46:11 pm »
    I didn't know any better . I finally set up my paperback version of the e-book I published in February  - got the "your book is live" message - saw the Authors copies drop down - oh yeah - fine - I'll have 10 thanks - more for postage than printing but all good -

and then I wasn't asked for any money?

Will they bill me when they are ready to post?
    or just deduct from the balance they owe me?

Offline NYEnglishman

• View Profile
    I didn't know any better . I finally set up my paperback version of the e-book I published in February  - got the "your book is live" message - saw the Authors copies drop down - oh yeah - fine - I'll have 10 thanks - more for postage than printing but all good -

and then I wasn't asked for any money?

Will they bill me when they are ready to post?
    or just deduct from the balance they owe me?

They bill you on shipping.  You can cancel any time up to then.  I just had 10 author copies delivered to Melbourne about 5 days after they left the US.

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
      • 9 Diamonds Press
    For ages now, to order print copies from Amazon, we Aussies had to create a U.S. shopping/shipping address and pay to have our 'zon books shipped to that U.S. address, then the shipping company would forward to us. This made double postage and handling, which made books incredibly expensive for us to order, which drove many authors to publish on IS over here.

I just went to order 10 copies each of my Outback Riders books for Christmas gifts, and we can now have them shipped direct from 'zon to Oz. So, I increased the order to 30 copies each, and they're on their way, direct from the U.S. to Down Under. Yay. Of course, the international postage is still expensive, but I was on the verge of organising to print with IS, and now I won't (well, for at least a while).

Great news and great timing for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement