Author Topic: Amazon really pushing Prime  (Read 948 times)  

Offline Don Wheeler

• Orange County, California
    • View Profile
Amazon really pushing Prime
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:20 am »
I ordered a new Kindle from Amazon.  While registering it a screen came up with an offer of 30 days free Prime membership.  Below the yes button was a No Thanks button.  Pressing the No Thanks had no effect.  Pressing the top of the screen had no effect. There was no way out other than yes.  I even tried turning the Kindle off and on and it returned to the same screen.  Finally, I tried doing a hard restart and when it finished, registration was complete and I got a normal home screen.

You may ask why I didn't take the offer.  Maybe I'm a hard head, but I don't like things being forced on me.  I've gotten to where Amazon is my last resort for buying stuff online.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    Re: Amazon really pushing Prime
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 07:57:02 am »
    I agree they really push it. I just ignore it for the most part.

I also get tired of the audible trials and membership ads everywhere, that pop up on tablet, phone, computer and kindles, if you are not currently a member. Both seem to be promoted about evenly -- too much.
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Online Koi

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 10:54:45 am »
    I agree.  Its much like the buy button, vs. the sample button, when looking at books directly onboard the kindle.  The sample link is almost non-functional.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 02:44:00 am »
    I can understand your not wanting to take it, because you would have to remember to cancel it before they charge you. I have it and like it.

What I don't like now is my Echo trying to sell me things. Before I was even up, there was a yellow ring going around, so I said "Alexa, what is my notification?" It said, "you may want to order more Prince of Peace Ginger Chews. Shall I place the order for you?" I said No and it went offline and said so (ring went red as well). So later I unplugged and plugged it back in to reset it.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Online barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 06:41:19 am »
    My Echo sometimes asks me if I want to buy something I bought before.  Most often it's a bag of walnuts.  At first I resented that but after running out of walnuts a couple of times and forgetting to re-order them I gave in and said yes.  Now I always have a bag of walnuts in my pantry and I do enjoy them.  In fact I think I'll go get some now. :)

Barry

Offline gdae23

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:45 pm »
    If you dont like the reminders to repurchase items, you can turn that off in the Echo Settings. On the Echos with a screen, it's on the Home Content page. Towards the bottom of that page is an item that says You might be running low on... and you can turn that on or off. Once I turned it off, I stopped getting those types of messages. (I'm not sure how this works with the non-screen Echoes - it's probably somewhere in the Alexa app.)

I love walnuts, but usually get mine from Nuts.com. I like Trader Joe's walnuts too. What brand are you buying from Amazon?

And to Don, the original poster - I have Prime myself, but I also hate that type of thing being forced on me. I'm glad you discovered how to avoid it, and I'll keep that method in mind if I run into this sort of thing in the future.

Online barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:01:31 am »
    The walnuts I get are Natures Eats.  They're pretty good.  Better than what I used to get at Walmart.  I prefer fresh walnuts but I'm not going to stores now due to the pandemic so I'm buying bagged walnuts.

Barry

Offline gdae23

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 08:00:15 pm »
    The walnuts I get are Natures Eats.  They're pretty good.  Better than what I used to get at Walmart.  I prefer fresh walnuts but I'm not going to stores now due to the pandemic so I'm buying bagged walnuts.

Barry

I don't know that brand, but something to try. I like fresh nuts, but I'm too lazy to crack the shells. When I was growing up, we always had fresh nuts for Thanksgiving. I don't think I've thought of that in years, so thanks for helping bring up that memory!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement